Author Topic: NYT article about Podiobooks (with a photo of Scott Sigler's recording studio)  (Read 3981 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
"Scott Sigler writes science-fiction horror novels, the kind one fan called “steel-tipped boot on your throat, speed-metal fiction.” Mr. Sigler has written four such books, though not many people have actually read them.

How many have listened to them, though, is a different story.

Several times a week Mr. Sigler, 37, steps into a walk-in closet in his San Francisco home. He reads into a microphone that connects to his computer via a sound mixer. Hanging shirts envelop him, masking ambient sound..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/books/01podb.html?ref=technology&pagewanted=all

It's nice to see that there's some mainstream attention being caught by this whole thing. It's focused on audio novels rather than short stories, so there's no mention of Escape Pod or the other short story podcasts. 

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
"Several times a week Mr. Sigler, 37, steps into a walk-in closet in his San Francisco home. He reads into a microphone that connects to his computer via a sound mixer. Hanging shirts envelop him, masking ambient sound..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/books/01podb.html?ref=technology&pagewanted=all

Yep.  Great article.  I know just about everyone named in it, and I'm delighted to read about them here.  (Especially since I now have pictures to verify that my sound setup is better than Sigler's.)  >8->

It's nice to see that there's some mainstream attention being caught by this whole thing. It's focused on audio novels rather than short stories, so there's no mention of Escape Pod or the other short story podcasts.

EP has had its share of press in the past (we've been mentioned in the Boston Herald, the London Times, NPR, and several genre magazines), and I believe we'll keep getting it.  It's a fun ego kick.  But to tell the truth, I'm actually happier when I see people blogging about Escape Pod.  Reporters for the most part don't care about any of this stuff, they're just looking for novelty.  But when I check the Technorati searches and see what someone wrote about EP in their LiveJournal?  That's real.  People are saying what they actually think, and nobody's making them say it.  I groove on that a whole lot more, believe it or not.  And I think we get more traffic from it too.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Russell Nash

But to tell the truth, I'm actually happier when I see people blogging about Escape Pod.  Reporters for the most part don't care about any of this stuff, they're just looking for novelty.  But when I check the Technorati searches and see what someone wrote about EP in their LiveJournal?  That's real.  People are saying what they actually think, and nobody's making them say it.  I groove on that a whole lot more, believe it or not.  And I think we get more traffic from it too.

I think you're right about what will get more immediate traffic to EP, but the old time press brings new people to podcasting in general.

I think the thing that is going to get the most non-techies, more than anything else, is NPR. Almost every show now says, "you can get our podcast". My tech-idiot brother asked me the other day, "what's all this pogcast[sic] stuff NPR keeps going on about" I told him. He's thinking about a shuffle or a small nano.