Escape Artists
November 21, 2017, 04:12:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudopod 307: That Ol’ Dagon Dark  (Read 12808 times)
yaksox
Palmer

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »

This was the best one I'd heard in quite a while. A story has to be extra special to quiet my busy post-work mind -- but this combo of story and narrator did well.

I've never been a pipe smoker but I did used to smoke rolling tobacco and there was one brand called Old Holborn, which came to mind during the story -- because of the dark moist nature. The author captured the feeling of addiction nicely. And I could really ID with the killing of one's university students, goodness knows I've wanted to on occasion!

Great reading by Al too. I wish he'd jump in that chair more often.
Metalsludge
Palmer

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »

As Balu pointed out, the shop keeper theft thing is a pretty common horror story trope, as is the young girl student conveniently showing up on the doorstep of someone who needs human blood (just heard that scenario on another podcast this week, right down to the human blood need and murder of the girl), but the overall theme and presentation help this story to stand out more from previous examples of this kind of story. It kept me listening and didn't start to feel tedious or anything. And the explanations, though limited, felt pretty satisfying at the end.

I can see how the Lovecraft connection might not be really necessary, but something about the very idea of tentacle vision inducing Dagon pipe weed admittedly amused me to begin with.
Hiram
Extern

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »

This is perhaps my favorite this year!
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »

This is perhaps my favorite this year!

Make sure to nominate it and two others for best of the year.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Cynandre
Palmer

I May be Addicted to Words...

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »

One of my Favorites that I have listen to more than once.

Insanity takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
InformationIsBeautiful
Extern

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »

I only recently found this story and it was a joy to listen to, thank you Al and Robert if you're reading this.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: