Author Topic: Has anybody read The Dragon's Path?  (Read 6961 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: November 19, 2012, 05:45:14 PM
Just finished reading The Dragon's Path.  Really liked it, it's by Daniel Abraham.  He also writes Urban Fantasy under the pseudonym MLN Hanover and "The Expanse" series of Sci-Fi under the name James S.A. Corey (With Ty Franck). 

There is none of the Tolkien fantasy tropes but still very much a fantasy novel.  Each chapter switches the story to another character.  I recommend it. 

He's also written a lot of short fiction.  Not sure if it's anything that could wind up on Podcastle, but here's a link to his website

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:51:50 PM
Like Balfour and Merriwether?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:14 PM
I loved Dragon's Path, and also its sequel: The King's Blood. Very much looking forward to the continuation of the series.

The Expanse series runs at a much faster pace than the Dragon and Coin series, but completely kicks ass. I can't recommend those books enough. I've read one of the M.L.N. Hanover books, and enjoyed it too.

We've actually featured quite a few of Abraham's short stories at PodCastle already, most recently "A Hunter in Arin-Qin." Check out the PodCastle Author Directory and scroll down to Daniel Abraham (and also: M.L.N. Hanover).

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:39:51 PM
cool, i was so far behind on podcasts I did a recent purge and just marked everything as played, I will have to crosscheck the author directory with my itunes directory, see which I have and which I need to download and listen.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:33 PM
Hope you enjoy them!

I'm particularly impressed by Abraham's range, both in short fiction and his novels. (I'd love to see him write a more contemporary fantasy novel that's outside his urban fantasy series.) But that'll probably have to wait until after the Dagger and the Coin series, at least.

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:05 PM
I've actually just started that up despite it being on my ereader since before last years Nebula nominees were announced, but even three chapters in I'm quite excited to continue, I really enjoy the writing style as well as what I've heard previously on Podcastle.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:53:57 PM
I've been struggling with this one for some reason.  I started reading it 2 years ago before A Dance With Dragons (latest in the series A Song Of Ice and Fire - aka Game of Thrones) came out and put it down to read that....

I've picked it back up numerous times since and for some reason, I just can't make much progress.  I really like the characters and what I've read so far, but the plot has slowed down and banking is boring...

I have every intention of finishing it though...

ChairmanDances

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:55:50 AM
He also has "The High King Dreaming" over at Podcastle in addition to the Balfour and Merriwether stories.  I've liked everything I've heard by him and have put The Dragon's Path on my to-read list.  Balfour and Merriwether is fairly straightforward Victorian fantasy, fun to listen to and with some nice touches, but the world building hinted at in The High King Dreaming really hooked me.