Author Topic: The Theater Bizarre  (Read 4432 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: November 25, 2012, 02:09:03 AM
Don't remember if it was here that I saw it mentioned, but if not...  Watched this tonight, after it was backordered from netflix.  It includes an adaptation of Clark Ashton Smith's The Mother of Toads.  Not best adaptation of Weird Fiction, but interesting.  the Whole movie is 6 stories in the Tradition of the Grand Guignol.

Would link to it, but Netflix site is flaking out again. 

Scumpup

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:11:23 PM
Last night, I spotted one on Netflix called "The Devil's Carnival" that had 4 1/2 stars and a description that sounded appealing to one who is a Pseudopod listener.  Cannot recommend.  It's actually a 55 minute musical that, IMO, desperately wantz to be the new Rocky Horror Picture Show.  A brief look at the IMDB page for it indicates that the majority of the actors aren't professional stage or screen actors, but at least a couple of them are podcast hosts.  The plot, such of it as there was, was Aesop's fables in Hell.

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:45:18 AM
That "Rocky Horror" thing reminds me of that bizarre "Phantom" movie made in the late 70's with Paul Williams. I think it was set in disco.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:58:54 AM
Last night, I spotted one on Netflix called "The Devil's Carnival" that had 4 1/2 stars and a description that sounded appealing to one who is a Pseudopod listener.  Cannot recommend.  It's actually a 55 minute musical that, IMO, desperately wantz to be the new Rocky Horror Picture Show.  A brief look at the IMDB page for it indicates that the majority of the actors aren't professional stage or screen actors, but at least a couple of them are podcast hosts.  The plot, such of it as there was, was Aesop's fables in Hell.

it's the same people that did Repo the genetic opera.  Repo has a lot more potential to be the next rocky horror. 

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:03 AM
THE PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE - now that's an excellent film!  I got to see it on the big screen at a double feature with BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS - and a glam time was had by all!

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:12 PM
THE PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE - now that's an excellent film!  I got to see it on the big screen at a double feature with BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS - and a glam time was had by all!

YES! That was the name! Couldn't recall it for my life! Prime weirdness!

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:35:20 PM
I watched this movie a bit ago and was impressed by two out of the six short films, which in horror anthologies, is really pretty great.

"I Love You" was worth the watch, if just for the dialogue and the acting. The woman who played Mou (spelling?) in particular stood out to be. Icy cold with heat shimmering beneath her skin. Very much satisfying to watch her interact with the male lead. The ending scene, although not anything too surprising, was solid and well choreographed. I thought the coloring effects were nicely pulled together, as well. Stark, but I think that really lent the right feel to the piece.

"The Accident" was the best film, in my opinion. I actually thought it was too good and poignant to even be in this collection. Truly horrific, well shot and acted, and the pacing was perfect. Surrounded by the quick paced and zany, for lack of a better word, films in The Theatre Bizzare, "The Accident" just doesn't fit. Instead of being a clear patch in an ocean of insanity, "The Accident" just feels like a jarring pause in this anthology, and that is a shame.

The other films were pretty forgettable, with the exception of "Vision Stains" which actually made me so mad I had to turn the TV off after it was done and go for a walk. It was so disappointing. The premise was so innovative and new, and I was really into the story. Then, it just went off the rails and made absolutely no sense at all, and the ending was straight up drivel. It was sexist to both genders (if that was even possible), and left both my husband and I with a bad taste in our mouths. Again, most of my ire came from what an interesting idea this story started off with. The serial killer who goes after the worthless souls to gather their stories by injecting herself in the eye for their last glimpses of life? So cool! Then, it just started to break its own rules, and gave up on itself. Awful. Ugh.

End rant!