Author Topic: EP024: The Death Trap of Dr. Nefario  (Read 4359 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 11, 2009, 12:53:28 AM
EP024: The Death Trap of Dr. Nefario

By Benjamin Rosenbaum.
Read by Chris Miller (of Unquiet Desperation) and Stephen Eley.

“Well, you know, Doc, safe is a relative thing in my profession, but I have you on the headset, and I’m picking the lock on these handcuffs as we’re talking. I think I’ll be fine, the piranhas are still 5 or 6 feet below me.”

“All right, but isn’t our conversation going to distract you?” I asked. “I know you’re upset, but wouldn’t you rather call back at another time?”

“I’d really like to talk about it, Doc. I always find talking to you clears my mind and makes me more effective. I may need to go if the henchmen come back, though.”

Rated PG. Contains childhood trauma and mild gratuitous villainy.

Referenced sites:
Dead White Guys
The Sci Phi Show

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

monkeystuff

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:17 AM
This was a very good story.  The way it was told was pretty funny, they hero trying to call his shrink while dealing with deathtraps and stuff was a good perspective.  It was a great example of taking your own advise,  some times its so easy to see other peoples problems that its hard to see your own looking back at you in the mirror

justice may only be obtained where there is a lack of injustice

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:14:00 PM
Great story!  I loved the dual readers, it worked very well for this tale.  The whole idea of a hero hashing out his insecurities on a headset phone while nonchalantly fighting piranhas and the like was just great!  And the idea that the psychiatrist to the heroes is the real hero, responsible for saving the city makes sense in its own way and is a really cool idea. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:21:52 PM
The beginning of this story falls nicely within dark humor. The end really gives it a deeper twist. And the production on this one really helped nail it. Well done all around.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”