Author Topic: EP378: Scout  (Read 14006 times)

FlatPepsi

• Extern
  • No carbonation here.
Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 05:30:52 PM
This went a different direction than I expected.

For most of the story, I saw Falcon as an organic being augmented with technology.  The Shardies I expected to see as an inorganic, circuity based lifeform, augmented with organic technology.

In that view, both sides are arriving at the same end from different angles.  Both were then guilt of the exact same crimes - except perhaps the human side asked for voulenteers first. We know not of the Shardies side (join or die?).

The endless cycle of drones remined me of the movie Moon.

All told, I enjoyed this.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:54 PM
Me too, only I forgot what the name of the movie was. :\

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 03:13:35 PM
I enjoyed this one, it kept up the tension all the way to the end, though I didn't totally understand whether his messages weren't being received or what was happening there.

I do wish that it had been told in straightforward chronological order instead of this flashback/flashforward/back/forward--I'm really sick of that structure.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:57 PM
My own brain-meat was functioning very well, so I had to listen to this twice.

What struck me, more than the eternal round of drones, was the fact that the humans seem to have adopted the same methods as the enemy. Sure, they weren't altering people to "understand humanity", but it sounds a lot like torturing human bodies. At least in the beginning. Though that might just have been medical procedures. But on a deeper level, they are turning people into something that's Not People.....

And very glad to hear Alasdair is enjoying Mass Effect....

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 01:27:26 AM
For me this was a tasty morsel of sci-fi nostalgia. I loved the imagery of the military turtle-man-soldier-drone going mano a mano with the great silicon entity. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but neither is most fan fiction, but it doesn't make a paean to an old friend less sweet. Oh great interplanetary science fiction with your creepy implacable foes and die-hard augmented warriors, I salute your tropey awesomeness.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Corcoran

• Palmer
    • My shop-page (Only in German)
Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:50 PM
Great, A Follow-Up-Story to "Shards". I was thrilled up to his death, was surprised by the twist in the stoty afterwards. I am too much hoping for Happy-Ends, but sometimes it´s good not to get what you want....

FeloniusMonk

• Palmer
Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:40 PM
I didn't get into this story as much as I would have like - I found Falcon a little bit thin as a character.
On the other hand I'm fascinated by the Shardies and really want to know more about what they are and what they're doing.

I actually appreciated the ending, complete with the allusion that the human commanders treated their wounded exactley the same way the Shardies treated prisoners. Made me thing of Haldeman's forever war and the inevitability of becoming what you fight against, grim but enjoyable.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:35 PM
This one missed the mark for me.  There were certainly moments of tension, but I wasn't that interested all the way through.  Maybe I was just comparing this story to "Shutdown", which was more poignant, succinct, and better paced. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:00 PM
I just noticed that the intro, while mentioning that this story is one in a sequence of stories about the same conflict, fails to point out that the first story in the sequence, Bright Red Star, was previously released as an Escape Pod episode (#136).

Bright Red Star is a story that still sticks out in my memory, and so I knew this must be the same universe as soon as the aliens were referred to as Shardies. Sadly, I feel this story pales in comparison to the former, though that was setting the bar quite high. I would highly recommend going back to give the original story a listen if you haven't already heard it.

The end of this story was especially chilling for me, and explains why all the techs kept insisting on calling Falcon "it" rather than "him." It really made me reflect on the tension between doing "all that is necessary" to win, and not becoming the very thing you are fighting. Personally, I wonder if I'd rather lose the war then cross a line that you can never come back from.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:37 PM
Me too, only I forgot what the name of the movie was. :\

That was a seriously unsettling movie!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 05:42:10 AM
This one was a miss for me.

For one, it was far too similar to EP376: Shutdown (as Gamercow mentioned). Coming as it did a scant two weeks after, it was just too similar in set up and tone (but minus the cool 12-minute death concept). As a result, I couldn't get into it. After all, hadn't I just heard this?

Also, I had the same action-in-audio problem here as I did in Shutdown. It just didn't work for me and I missed a lot of details. In fact, I missed so much that when I came to the forums and started reading the comments on Scout, I wasn't sure I had heard the same story. So, I went back and relistened. And guess what, I was still missing a lot of the details, even after a second listen!   

So, in short, this one didn't work for me.

Next week, I will look forward to more words in a different order..... :)

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 02:12:12 PM
Was I the only one who thought that near the end Falcon seemed to learn that the small diamonds were babies of the alien species?  This passage made me think that when he touched one, the nannies came running to protect them:

My first diamond lies within a few hundred meters, a smooth crystalline gem resting in a glassy divot.   When I view the interior in the ultraviolet bands I discover fracture planes and splinters of fibers.  In Infrared there’s a slight heat source near the center.  I can see no appendages as I record every aspect before I attempt a sample.

The mere touch of the crystal’s surface makes it flare a brilliant orange.   Instantly I feel the pad-pad-pad of racing feet and see a dozen tripods emerge from the forest’s edge.  Closer even than that I hear the shattering of a million dishes as the nearby carpet changes course to flow in my direction.

I enjoyed the story very much overall, though I too was confused about the apparent failing of all his data packs.  He obviously made his final transmission successfully but somehow the others didn't make it through, and his entire mission wound up being not only useless but possibly harmful in that he was presumably discovered and tortured or otherwise reverse engineered - a sequel that would not be pleasant.

caladors

• Extern
Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:59 PM
Perhaps it just my lack of knowledge when it comes to American accents but, to me this read made it sound to me like.
"Obama vs the evil aliens!"

Who knows there is most properly a cheap video with such a title... Most properly political too, not like a reverse Bad Dudes at all or whatever that video game was where you actually played the mayor or something but he was like a WWE wrestle.
Anyway to the actual thoughts on I remember the universe this came from but it didn't at all have the same feel to me. In the last story there was an almost visceral feel of desperation, hatred and anger. This however for all of it's talk of hating the enemy didn't come off the same way. This may be because it was a scout mission and as such 'the unit' wasn't actually out for blood, his purpose was more meaningful. It just didn't have the same impact in the last one I was just like "you're going to fry you shardy bastards" I felt for humanity for how 'we' had been wronged.

In this the, same crime (humans in jar in a ship) was what made me realize it was in the same universe but I just didn't feel the same. I am like ok so your fighting chandlers, ok? I mean if David Attenborough had of being excitedly been telling me about this in hurried breaths I would be cool alien biology 101. Instead it was the forgotten realms tour guide of science fiction. Look at this world there is Elminster and Water Deep. Ok cool I understand you have a setting and it's cool but tell me the god damn story. Ok so it's a revenge story minus the revenge part and your life is full of suck cause your machine now. I felt no emotional connection to it.

I think the problem is I should like it. I mean I love Lain and Dues Ex which are all about, what makes us human, if we don't have an arm are we human? Sure. What about a brain, ehhh little harder to answer... I love revenge stories they always have such visceral feel you can connect, these people wronged you and revenge is the only answer. I love the discovery story where you find out something horrid about 'the enemy' be that their worse than everyone says there just like us whatever. So many elements of this story I should have liked but I just felt disconnected. If that was the emotional state the author was aiming for you hit a home run.

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 10:36:35 PM
Not sure if I'm getting it right, but did the transmitters not work at all? I might have just missed it (attention deviated a few times during the story, that's what happens when you drive!), but I got the impression that the ship never got any info from the scout.  That could be why they didn't bother telling the scout anything, they thought he just failed outright, gathered no data, and died.
I remember they were complaining that the lights weren't blinking.  Am I right on this?

I was under the impression that they did receive the data, but that the story just cut away right before the transmission came in because we, the reader, already knew what the transmission said. I could be wrong.

See I assumed that at first, but then they start up the other clone with the idea that this one might do what the other one failed at doing.  The way it was put led me to believe that they never received anything at all, and they considered Falcon's scouting to have been a total failure.

I should mention that I thoroughly enjoyed this story.  The reading was fantastic too!

This was the one big negative for me.  Were they or weren't they receiving his messages?  The impression I got was "no," until the point that they knew exactly when he terminated. Didn't that info have to come from Falcon's signal?  If they got the info, why ready another scout.  This is the one point that left me wondering, but not in a good way.  I feel like the author left something critical out (or I missed it but if so I am not the only one apparently).

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 10:43:50 PM
Also, now that you mention that hatred, it was borne of the fact that the aliens turned human beings into slugs to suck their minds. "If they’d had throats and lungs they’d be screaming in pain."
Why is that any different from what the humans did to Falcon? In fact, one line that made the connection for me was: "Falcon might have been screaming in pain the whole time, but nobody heard because most of the lower face was gone and the exposed vocal chords were charred nubs."
Sounds awfully familiar, no?

Saw this one coming about halfway through the story - that what the humans did to Falcon is just as bad as the aliens would do to a human.  In fact I kind of wondered if that's what had happened and Falcon was actually scouting against the the humans with perhaps his sensors or brain fooled into thinking they were his enemy.  So I wasn't completely surprised when the story looped back around with another Falcon.

I think this was kind of the point of this story - questioning if we (as the good guys) have become as bad as our hated enemy.

ogopogo

• Extern
Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 01:15:31 AM
Hearing the story the first time, it seemed to me that the captain had a relationship with Falcon; the kind of relationship that would be unprofessional to have between a commanding officer and a subordinate. It wasn't until I read the comments that I changed my mind about the story.  I now think the captain and Falcon may have both marines when they knew each other and the Falcon scouts have been around long enough that the captain was able to climb the ranks from marine to captain.  Thinking about it like that it makes more sense to me why the captain was so defensive when Falcon was referred to as "it" instead of "he."

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 11:43:23 PM
Once again the end result was me wanting to know more about the aliens than caring about the people and not-people of the story, which ought to be kind of sad, but when you get into these introspective military questions it can sometimes get overwhelming.

Maybe I just missed it, but did the Shardies do anything with the silicate once they dropped it, I got that they collected the other minerals but this seems a rather perplexing method to collect materials. I was actually pondering the idea of an alien species whose goal is to redact other aliens from planets, removing colonies to return them to what they were originally during this story, which might've been more interesting to me.

This is the one where the reality of hearing Oubliette, as tounge ad cheek as it was, then Shutdown, and then this struck me as curious. This one is certainly not pro-military in the way that Shutdown could have been, since being a bio-robot or whatever is probably not most people's dream! Before I started typing this, I realize that an interesting twist would be to assume that the captain is also a human image, where his relationship to the turtle soldier is real, and continuous in a way that the human crew doesn't feel.

One thing in the story that missed me was why the aliens used the humans to begin with, I understand that once they did the aliens actions became more human, but is that desirable, is thh best way to fight humans to think like them? I know that understanding your enemy is supposed to be important, but it seems like the aliens were doing exceptionally well at just blowing humans away that it seems odd for them to suddenly need us to defeat us.

Alas, I didn't listen to quite enough stories this time to entirely fill the front comment page with my comments!

Agent_137

• Extern
Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 08:33:21 PM
Bright Red Star was the first Escape Pod story that I heard. It hooked me and I've been listening along ever since. So I was really excited to hear another story set in the same universe. It's still one of my all time favorite stories on Escape Pod (hard to beat the feel of your first time).

Scout was just as unsettling as I expected and wanted it to be. It made me relate to the protagonist and his compatriots, question their methods, and then feel a small hollow victory along with them.

I looked on Bud Sparhawk's site to find more in this universe. Looks like there are 3 others so far, besides Bright Red Star and Scout:
The Glass Box (Appeared in So It Begins, January 2009 Created July 2007 Sold: May 2008 Words: 5,000)
Cybermarine (Appears in Defending the Future, December 2010  Created: December 2009 Sold: February 2010, Words: 5,500)
Hard Choices (Appears in the BEST LAID PLANS anthology (Dark Quest Books)  Created November 2011 Sold April 2012 Words 5,200.)

p.s.
Normally I don't post because I listen to Escape Pod in order and I'm 5 months behind, but I really wanted to say thanks for this story.