Author Topic: Questions, Comments, Concerns?  (Read 74545 times)

eytanz

Reply #250 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:00 AM
In all but one of the groups, I've voted for two stories - not out of any design, more that five of the groups had two clear leaders for me and I had a tough time deciding on a third.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #251 on: April 18, 2013, 10:40:41 PM
I think my strategy for this round is going to be to toss out quick votes to everything that really stuck with me (along with its name). Then I'll spend some quality time re-reading the stories and making sure that I don't need to change or add anything.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #252 on: April 19, 2013, 12:28:25 PM
I think my strategy for this round is going to be to toss out quick votes to everything that really stuck with me (along with its name). Then I'll spend some quality time re-reading the stories and making sure that I don't need to change or add anything.

That's pretty much what I'm doing... though it's mostly by necessity (lotta crap at work).

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #253 on: April 26, 2013, 10:59:23 AM
Well, voting's over for the semifinals, and it was kind of intense (and fun) watching the last minute shuffle.
I don't get why some people voted in one group but not the others though...

Anyway, ten days of ckicking refresh is finally over - whew!
Good luck to the winners in the final round and well done everyone.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #254 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:14 PM
YES!  The final round is upon us!  I'm super busy all day today, but you can bet it'll be posted tonight!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

eytanz

Reply #255 on: April 26, 2013, 06:12:10 PM
YES!  The final round is upon us!  I'm super busy all day today, but you can bet it'll be posted tonight!

How will the two ties be resolved?

JDoug

• Palmer
Reply #256 on: April 26, 2013, 09:06:06 PM
I think it might be a good idea to lock the voting for the final round. It's almost certainly going to be a close run thing and I have a feeling that might tempt people to redistribute their votes - which seems against the spirit of the thing. You should vote for your three favorite stories, not your three favorite stories that have a chance of winning.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #257 on: April 27, 2013, 06:09:03 AM
Oh no, didn't see the ties until now...

sigh...

RUNOFF VOTING (quick rounds of 2 days?)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #258 on: April 27, 2013, 06:29:18 AM
Alright, sorry for delays and such.  I had a full day of work, one of my pets died today, and my friend went through a minor yet significant life event that he sort of needed to drink off/talk to someone about. 

Anyway, lame excuses aside, GO VOTE in the lightning round tiebreaker polls!  Groups 1, 2, and 4 need your votes!  Polls are only lasting for two days from NOW (2:20-ish AM Eastern Time)

I'll show you why they call me lightning. (That lyric always made me think he's quick in bed...)

eytanz

Reply #259 on: April 27, 2013, 08:03:13 AM
The group 2 tiebreaker won't really affect anything, right? Since it's a tie for second, both stories will be going through anyway...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #260 on: April 27, 2013, 08:25:55 AM
The group 2 tiebreaker won't really affect anything, right? Since it's a tie for second, both stories will be going through anyway...
Oops!  Tired me glossed over that detail.

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #261 on: April 27, 2013, 01:08:18 PM
Alright, sorry for delays and such.  I had a full day of work, one of my pets died today, and my friend went through a minor yet significant life event that he sort of needed to drink off/talk to someone about. 
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Bdoomed. Thanks for all the work you've put into this.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #262 on: April 28, 2013, 09:09:29 AM
Forewarning to all: I am heading down to Miami from Sunday (today) to Tuesday the 30th.  In the middle of this, ill have to post the final round poll, close the tiebreakers, etc.  the problem is that last time I was home in Miami, the Internet to my house was horrifically spotty, to the point where I would get access for 5 minute intervals, spaced out over longer periods of no access.  Hopefully this won't happen again, but should it persist, polls might be delayed.  Sincerely sorry if this happens, and I will make it a priority to get this contest on its way as close to schedule as I can.  Thank you for your understanding!  And thanks a ton for all te continued participation in this contest!

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #263 on: April 28, 2013, 06:21:45 PM
Really sorry to hear about your pet dying, that always tears me apart when one of the family cats die.  This seems an epidemic; two of my friends just had to put their respective pets (a dog and a cat) down as well.

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #264 on: April 29, 2013, 03:28:06 AM
We just lost a goat.

It's interesting - before moving to a farm things like used to really affect on me.  I'm pretty soft hearted.  Cried when my pet duck died when I was a kid.

Our neighbor lost fifteen sheep a couple weeks ago (many of them pregnant) because another neighbor's dogs got into their barn.  The sheriff showed up in the middle of the night, told the neighbor with the dogs what happened, and then shot the dogs.  My first thought was, "Dang, I'm glad we've got a Great Pyrenees" because he would have killed the other dogs rather than letting them hurt our sheep.

We still have a pig that should have been in the freezer long ago because the kids, and maybe me, like her too much to shoot her, but when our goat died, I sighed, dropped her off down in the south pasture, took off her collar, and came home.

I once found a dead cat in someone's barn and pointed it out to the barn owner.  He blinked and said, "Been wondering where she went," and then went back to work.  I'm not there yet, but being a farmer has changed me and stuff like this rolls off me easier than it once did.

That being said, if Ollie the Great Pyrenees died, it'd suck pretty bad.

SBC-B

• Peltast
    • Author Page
Reply #265 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:08 AM
Our neighbor lost fifteen sheep a couple weeks ago (many of them pregnant) because another neighbor's dogs got into their barn.  The sheriff showed up in the middle of the night, told the neighbor with the dogs what happened, and then shot the dogs. 

There's a horror short right there. Nothing supernatural, but still gory and tragic.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #266 on: April 29, 2013, 01:57:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Bdoomed. Thanks for all the work you've put into this.

Sorry to hear that Bdoomed.  We lost one of our dogs in December to a sudden onset of hemolytic anemia.  :(

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #267 on: April 29, 2013, 02:57:24 PM
Yeah... it sucks.  I've lost around 14 dogs in my life so far, and this latest loss was... well it was a gerbil.  Still, it really never gets much easier... and we only had her for four weeks.  But she was awesome, and would walk onto my hand while her sister fled from sight.   She would sleep on my girlfriend and me, and she even licked my hand a lot on her last day.  It was quite the shock to see her dead, but she was always small, and very skinny, nothing like her sister, so she just didn't have it in her to live.  She's buried outside of our apartment in the nook of two trees.  Pretty nice, really.

No idea what it's like to lose 15 sheep, or even one goat though.  I'd probably really like the goat.  I suppose I would probably lament the shooting of the dogs more than the dead sheep tho, but that depends on how much I liked the sheep :P

Anyway!  Depressing topics aside, I will now set to work on getting this final poll up and running!

nutmeg2013

• Extern
Reply #268 on: April 29, 2013, 08:55:49 PM
hi

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #269 on: April 30, 2013, 12:54:15 AM
HI!

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #270 on: April 30, 2013, 01:25:25 AM

Sorry to hear that Bdoomed.  We lost one of our dogs in December to a sudden onset of hemolytic anemia.  :(
Holy crud!  What caused that?  He get into something toxic?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #271 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:23 PM

Holy crud!  What caused that?  He get into something toxic?

They never did figure out a specific cause.  Their best diagnosis was IMHA (Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia) which even by the vets own admission is the thing they call it when they can't find any specific cause.  One day she was acting normal.  She ran to the door to bark at a passing car and collapsed and had trouble getting up, so Heather took her to the vet.  She passed away 5 days later at the emergency vet, the day after my birthday.  :(

I wrote a memorial for her:
http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=3043

Anyway, I will stop derailing, off to vote in the final poll!

thepencankill

• Extern
Reply #272 on: May 07, 2013, 07:37:36 PM
If there ends up being something like a four-way tie for second and third, will voters get one or two votes for the tie breaker?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #273 on: May 07, 2013, 09:35:40 PM
two sounds like a good number