Author Topic: Applied Natural Magic (Darkside Codex Book 4)  (Read 6537 times)

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
on: September 06, 2014, 07:51:05 PM
I'm reading Applied Natural Magic, which is Book 4 of the Darkside Codex series, and since it was written by our very own EA forum member Windup, I thought I'd start a thread for discussing it in case anyone else is reading it. :)

It's a steampunk, urban fantasy-ish setting, where half a city lies beneath a perpetual cloud and half lies in sunshine, which has created food scarcity and a severe poverty divide between the two sides. The book follows Charles Woodbridge, who has made some hydroponics breakthroughs and is now being targeted by the anti-potato forces of the world.

I'm a little over halfway through right now. I'll put the rest behind spoiler walls for those who plan to read too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:11:28 AM
Yaaaay, I finished it today! Fast read. :) Here's my final thoughts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:55:41 AM
Since I logged in last, I've read the book too. But since Varda's spoiler walls hide everything I might have said myself, and there's a masonry saw buzzing outside my window right now (AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!) I'll just stick in the review I submitted to iBooks this morning. :D

This is an enjoyable read. Entertaining and engaging without being too heavy. The action starts right at the beginning, and the pace keeps the pages turning right through the book.

I was hooked from page 1, and at the end, I wanted the tale to keep going and let me see what happened next. A good sign in my opinion.

I can certainly recommend it to adult or young adult readers alike as an excellent boredom killer.

I gave it 4 iBooks stars.

Hope you remembered to review it too, Varda. 8)

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

adson3492

• Extern
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:48:40 AM
Oh, I wish I could, but my teaching load this term is such that I barely have time to read anything, let alone text that requires actual concentration. I will read it, but it will have to wait to December...