Author Topic: EP380: Punk Voyager  (Read 23498 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:08 PM
No matter the occasion, it's always the right time for a punch to the cock.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 02:33:15 PM
I am totally ambivalent about this story. There was soooo much that sucked about it; unbelievable science, douche bag characters, over-the-top gratuitous swearing, and a bit too long, to name just a few. But, the cock punches were funny.

To paraphrase: "All of this was SO beneath me, except the dick jokes, they were spot-on!" Verbal irony is so beautiful.

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
I am totally ambivalent about this story. There was soooo much that sucked about it; unbelievable science, douche bag characters, over-the-top gratuitous swearing, and a bit too long, to name just a few. But, the cock punches were funny.

To paraphrase: "All of this was SO beneath me, except the dick jokes, they were spot-on!" Verbal irony is so beautiful.

Where's the Facebook "Like" button again?

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #53 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:31 AM

Right here.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

FeloniusMonk

• Palmer
Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:44 PM
I liked it!
Douchebag characters, ridiculous science and slightly incoherent timeline all added to the feel of an ageing punk, mostly reformed but still with a seething core of unidirectional anger, sitting in a bar and telling his one really cool story.
Other than adding +1 for cock punches I loved the line "where did they get plutonium? Around, fuck off!” That was what really put me in the position of listening to someone tell a cool story rather than listening to a literary tale.

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #55 on: February 13, 2013, 11:57:33 PM

Right here.

Dear Lord, these are awful. Why would anyone buy these? And why am I tempted to buy them myself?

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 01:23:25 PM
No matter the occasion, it's always the right time for a punch to the cock.

This is now in the queue of my quote blog. It was too good not to include.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 12:32:22 AM
Wow!  I am very much in the minority because I am very "meh" about this episode.  Definitely didn't like it.  Didn't hate it either.  Wasn't even tempted to stop listening but I kept waiting for something to happen.  I was mildly amused on a few occasions, but overall it wasn't particularly funny either.

Biscuit

• Peltast
Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 02:03:01 AM
Been a loooong time since I've commented on a story but I just wanted to say:

Cock and Tit Punches for all!

(this story had me weeping with laughter at my desk, you douchebags)

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 07:38:22 PM
If I had read it, I probably would have done my best Vyv from the Young Ones impression.  But it was an excellent narration nonetheless.  I was actually pretty ambivalent about the story itself, I had hoped to hear more from the genius scientist, but she "was never heard from again".  Oh well. 

Oh, and peeps en flambe are excellent.  Haven't tried peep smores yet.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 05:21:22 PM
Congratulations EP. You just forced me to do my first spittake. Then my coworkers came over wondering if I was alright and seeing that I work at a Christian organization, I couldn’t really tell them that I was choking on the image of Nancy Reagan punching aliens in their cocks, and that my tears were tears of joy.

Although I abhor punk rock music, there is a part of me that is a closet anarchist, and this story spoke to that. I think the reading made all the difference on this. Well done, Nathaniel. This gave me a much needed laugh.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #61 on: March 07, 2013, 05:27:22 PM
So, LaShawn, what you're saying is...cockpunch the Christian organizations, then ask them out for beer afterwards?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 07:31:37 AM
And again, the forum comments are better than the story. I'm laughing so hard there are tears streaming down my face!
Thanks all. You're great!

HeyMrP

• Extern
Reply #63 on: April 23, 2013, 02:26:42 PM
So, this is the first story that made me motivated enough to bother signing up and commenting.
It was hilarious. I laughed all the way to work. I guess I'm immature enough that a good old fashioned
cock punching still makes me laugh.

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 02:32:49 PM
This story was brilliant in the way it captured the essence of every "punk" I knew from that time.
They were bored and angry and not really sure what they were angry about so they just lashed out at EVERYTHING including each other ... just because.

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:00 PM
Alas, I'm on the side of simply finding this story annoying, the whole punk ethos just tends to make me groan, the writing of the story and the narration were fantastic though. It captures punk fairly well, in my opinion, and I don't know that if its parody or not matters, because it really wouldn't be punk to take punk too seriously. Yes, I called it, metapunk.

I'm pretty sure the essay including Firefly was in this episode, if I'm wrong, this will just look silly!
I'm also in a minority amongst geeks in that I just didn't like Firefly, I think I'm the only person I know for who that is true, and I quite enjoy the space-cowboy genre. Maybe I should watch the first two episodes again just to check if maybe my mood was off when I tried it.

Its sort of sad that its takes thought to log in here because I accidently spelled my username wrong when I first made the account... it is possible to spell your name wrong.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:05:45 PM by childoftyranny »

Agent_137

• Extern
Reply #66 on: May 29, 2013, 08:44:00 PM
I really enjoyed this story, and I laughed throughout the entire episode. Something I needed after all the heavy stuff lately.

I'd enjoy it if Nathan read all future comment summaries in his punk voice.

Keffy

• Extern
Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:16 AM
Listened to this one a while ago, but loved it! And I don't even care if that means I'm immature. (I am.)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 02:52:34 PM
I'd enjoy it if Nathan read all future comment summaries in his punk voice.

I wouldn't.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #69 on: May 31, 2013, 02:43:36 PM
Fuckin' A, man, what is it with you, you want I should kick you inna head or something?  Fuuuck.  ;-)

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 05:41:57 PM
I wouldn't have expected Nathan, who sometimes hesitates when reading comments, to sound so confident and ... punk.  I really enjoyed this one (so much so, that I listened to it twice, which doesn't happen very often since there is so much podcasting and so little time...)

hardware

• Matross
Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 09:08:25 AM
OK, so there was fun to be found here, the F**k Y** attitude is well captured. I liked it the best while they were at the beach, just being their punky selfs. Just as there is something endearing with that attitude in someone young, there is something pretty sad about an adult adopting the same attitude, which made the latter part leave a somewhat stale taste in my mouth. I was also surprised that the feedback was in the style of this weeks story, not the story that was being commented. That didn't work so well for me.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #72 on: October 06, 2013, 04:01:24 PM
I'm somewhat surprised by the unironic hate this piece has received. Escape Pod has always encompassed the "Have Fun" motto for me, and I think the stories I like the best over here are the ones that really inhabit that mantra. This story was fun. Keep up the good work, Escape Pod, and punch the world in the cock while you're at it.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

quasidoza

• Extern
Reply #73 on: October 07, 2013, 07:10:26 PM
Saw this story near the top of the comments and had a smile on my face remembering it - I did like it, in work was often tempted to say let's just punch them in the cock but I didn't (out loud).