Author Topic: EP369: Passengers  (Read 17062 times)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 03:42:48 AM
I also suspect that Charles was ridden the entire time, but I am not completely sure. I think it would have been better if that had been made more clear at the end. For me, the story would have had more power that way.

The anachronisms bugged me, too, but I let them pass as artifacts of another time. It was interesting, though, to read other listener's feelings on this point.

hardware

• Matross
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:31 PM
I liked this story quite a lot, and the fact that the themes are perhaps a bit overused today is less annoying once you realize that the story is contemporary with PKD:s heydays. I certainly agree about the creepiness of the protagonists actions, but it seems pretty clear to me he was not entirely acting on his own. What resonated with me was the sadness of all that lost time and the collective helplessness of humanity, and how we dealt with it by excluding the experience as much as possible. I'm pretty sure thats not what would happen in todays social exposure-obsessed society, but perhaps when the story was written this seemed the most likely way to deal with what you could not control or understand. 

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 11:45:53 PM
It makes me a far more savage story if one takes the "continuously ridden" model, I recall a line in the story wondering if the aliens were just floating around watching them when not riding someone, which is another possible explanation for the perfect timing of him being ridden again.

Pondering over would it be more effective to hurt them both or hurt only one of them,I've begun thinking about how, the girl cannot be entirely sure if he was ridden all the time or if it was just really bad luck, so assuming he was always ridden the alien could possible go through these motions a time or two more for maximum pain controlling which memories are in play each time...and with how depressing of a thought that is I think I'm done commenting on this one!

12obin

• Extern
Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
Broken link in the original post. it begins "hhttp" instead of "http", and the colon is missing

Moderator: Fixed, thanks! :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:05:36 PM by Talia »