Author Topic: EP381: Elias, Smith and Jones  (Read 20329 times)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:31 PM
He has a name, and he also has reasons for why the outro was built like it was.

Hello everyone:)

I talked about Firefly for three reasons; firstly the story, the
Bluegrass stylings in particular,  put me in mind of a western. Specifically the sort of stagecoach chase/robbery scene that seems to be in a lot of them.

Secondly, the author mentioned that there was an element of the space western to the piece, and that some of the world building for the story reflected that.

Thirdly, my other jobs have taken me up against what I view as the stigmata of fandom; the initial cancellation of Doctor Who in the UK and the cancellation of Firefly in the US. As the story put me
In mind of that, it was a logical conclusion for me to not only talk about it, but also exits the space western sub genre and try and offer a few other recommendactions for people still suffering withdrawal. 

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 04:40:47 PM
The earth science text I used when I taught that subject gave basalt a density of 3 grams per cubic centimenter.  65 cubic mm is 0.065 cubic cm.  If I did the math right, that would give your rock a mass of 0.195 grams.
OK, so going back to our 1 gram=162 kg TNT, we have 0.195X162=31.59 kg of TNT. A lot of energy, but not atomic bomb levels, nor fatal to a properly constructed star ship.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:41 PM
...but aren't we already suffering micropunctures with catastrophic potential with our current vehicles in space that are just turtle-ing along in comparison? I'll fully admit to being a physics ignoramus, but F=MA would logically seem to make even the lightest of peas radically powerful when the 'A' is the speed of the craft plus the speed of the pea in question.

I will accept only counter arguments formatted as limericks.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 09:01:55 PM
The equation is all about balance
and you can tell just by a glance
at one eighth C
the speed of the pea
is dealt with by looking askance.

The dangerous space-borne debris
that orbits around planet 3
masses hundreds times more
than our small pea of yore
and so we have much less of E.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:06:44 PM by Max e^{i pi} »

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 10:11:02 PM
First of all, I love you.

Second, I thought I had heard/read something about micrometeors smaller than peas but with enough speed to pierce the shuttle being a big concern for NASA. Or I suppose I may just be remembering the initial seconds of the meteor shower in Armageddon (no commentary accepted on the topic of the movie, sometimes you just love without criticizing).

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:56 AM
Whether that is an actual fact or a Bruce Willis inspired assumption, it doesn't matter.
The original question was whether an impact at 1/8 C with a pea-sized fragment of space rock would result in the equivalent energy release of an atomic bomb. The answer is most definitely not.
Will such a collision do damage to the ship? Most likely yes. A lot less energy will be released, but it will all be focused on a relatively small (pea-sized) section of the outer hull. Depending on the material and construction techniques involved, it may very well pierce the hull.

Also, thank you for not demanding that
the counter arguments be written in
iambic pentameter. I suck at that.
 :P

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
You're right, I wasn't paying attention to the force part of it, more the catastrophic nature. In the end, if I'm on the ship, I want the shield and I want it working as well as possible.

Unless they find out ke$ha was the only music that will make it work and it somehow resonates through the hull as you go. Could you imagine travel day 3 of that music catalog playing ceaselessly? Bring on the peas!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 07:27:43 AM
Oh, I am loving this discussion and am sorry I came so late to the party.

Max e^{i pi} says
Will such a collision do damage to the ship? Most likely yes. A lot less energy will be released, but it will all be focused on a relatively small (pea-sized) section of the outer hull. Depending on the material and construction techniques involved, it may very well pierce the hull.

When dealing with hypervelocities (this is defined as anything faster than about 2 km/s, or roughly 4500 miles per hour), collisions behave very differently than what we are used to in every day life experiences. Below is a picture of one such impact, where a 12mm (~0.5 inch) aluminum ball hit an 18 cm (~7 inch) aluminum plate at 7 km/s.

As you can see, the resulting crater is much bigger than the ball that created it. (Note, this is not the original ball that formed this crater. That ball would have been vapourized by the impact. This is a different, same-sized ball, shown here for comparison.) Also, the effects of the collision are not confined to the crater. Notice how the back of the plate has separated from the rest of the plate, even though the area between the crater and delaminated part *looks* untouched. This is showing that there's a lot more damage happening than what can be seen. 

So, hypervelocity impacts are great fun and very destructive! I wouldn't want to be on a space ship that was hit by one, even if the projectile was only pea-sized.

However, as Max e^{i pi} alludes, construction techniques can make a big difference. Making the ship's skin from multiple layers does help (see below).

Anyway, I hope some have found this interesting. I study impacts for a living (but on planets, not spacecraft), so this stuff is always interesting to me.
</geek mode>

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 07:31:14 AM
In my excitement on the topic of high speed impacts, I forgot to comment on the actual story.

Well, I did enjoy it while I was listening, but by the time I got to the outro, I had honestly forgotten what the story was about. That was definitely an indicator that the story was just so-so for me.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 07:42:02 AM
I study impacts for a living (but on planets, not spacecraft), so this stuff is always interesting to me.
Coolest. Job. Ever. (for certain definitions of "ever")

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:16 AM
Well, if you like, you too can study planetary impact craters (as a volunteer, though, not for a living).

Feel free to check out this project I am involved in called MoonMappers. We have volunteer "citizen-scientists" identifying and marking craters on the Moon for several research projects we have going. It's fairly simple to learn and anyone can do it. Give it a try, if you like....

caladors

• Extern
Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 02:28:47 PM
Loved the reading, I see I am not alone in that. It made me think of an old grizzly farmer type from north Queensland who seen more drought and suffering than you ever could but some how keeps a smile, I realize his a cheeky space pirate but that's the vision that came to me from the reading.

The story, was really good until the end. I space rock saves the day? I felt as if the object he put down would be more at home in a Wallace and Gromit animation. Anyone for bree? Cause the end was so cheesy. But perhaps it was just because of the amazing set up rather than pay off? Maybe I am just disappointed because I expected more from such a wonderful beginning.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 06:07:16 PM
Somehow I managed to listen to two different stories on two different podcasts read by the same person back to back. :P He's got amazing range!

Honestly, I think the narration was my favorite part; he really made the character real for me. I enjoyed the story while it unfolded, and really appreciated the sound effects that were added. They made following the scene changes much easier! But in the end, the "myPod" and the "no one'll ever think of hard rock banjos!"(hee-yuck) sort of ruined it for me. I enjoyed reading the discussion it sparked though. :)

chemistryguy

• Matross
  • Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970
    • 5000 People can't be wrong...or can they?
Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

Anyway, I hope some have found this interesting. I study impacts for a living (but on planets, not spacecraft), so this stuff is always interesting to me.
</geek mode>

NICE!  I have been thusly informed.

Jim Shorts

• Extern
Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:13 PM
My opinions on the story, both good and bad, have already been covered plently of times in the other comments, so I have only two things to contribute:

1: Heavy metal bluegrass exists. I have unfortunately heard it played by a band in Florida. They refered to the genre as both "swampy tonk" and "deathgrass." Now that you are aware of this you can't un-know it, and for that I apologize.
I didn't notice anyone achieving relativistic speeds due to pan-dimensional thrusting, but to be fair I was, out of necessity, drinking heavily.

2: Max e^{i pi}'s limerick rebuttal may have been the greatest comment ever.

Okay, three things - 3: Pan-Dimensional Thrusting would be a great title for a flash fiction story! Nathanial Lee, please write it. I will be checking mirrorshards regularly.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41:08 PM
Pan Dimensional Thrusting is the name of my Tom Jones cover band.

Jim Shorts

• Extern
Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:40 PM

YES! I would love to open for you sometime with my Bob Marley cover band Deathgrass.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:21 AM
Okay, three things - 3: Pan-Dimensional Thrusting would be a great title for a flash fiction story! Nathanial Lee, please write it. I will be checking mirrorshards regularly.

I've actually got a full-length short story called "Transdimensional Knife Fight."  It's been rejected (checks spreadsheets) 10 times so far!  Whee!  Isn't publishing fun?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:00 PM

Last night I totally dreamed that I was at dinner with my family, someone made a reference like that, and I made a cover band joke. I wish I remember what it was.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:18 PM

I've actually got a full-length short story called "Transdimensional Knife Fight."  It's been rejected (checks spreadsheets) 10 times so far!  Whee!  Isn't publishing fun?

Why does that title sound familiar to me? Have I read it?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 05:02:03 PM

Probably.  It went up in the Critique Group a while back.

Hey, everyone!  Escape Artists has a writing/critique subforum that is hidden from public view to prevent loss of publication rights for authors posting stories for feedback!  You can join it by sending a request to the forum moderators and maybe revitalize its wheezing, exhausted corpse!  (Wait, that's more Pseudopodian, isn't it?)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 07:16:46 PM

Probably.  It went up in the Critique Group a while back.

Hey, everyone!  Escape Artists has a writing/critique subforum that is hidden from public view to prevent loss of publication rights for authors posting stories for feedback!  You can join it by sending a request to the forum moderators and maybe revitalize its wheezing, exhausted corpse!  (Wait, that's more Pseudopodian, isn't it?)
I already did that. Didn't hear back from the mod though... Maybe I should pick a different mod?

eytanz

Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 08:07:40 PM

I already did that. Didn't hear back from the mod though... Maybe I should pick a different mod?

Or just post publicly and hope one notices :)

(But please let's not let this take over this thread - if anyone else wants access, PM me).

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:20 AM
He has a name, and he also has reasons for why the outro was built like it was.

Hello everyone:)

I talked about Firefly for three reasons; firstly the story, the
Bluegrass stylings in particular,  put me in mind of a western. Specifically the sort of stagecoach chase/robbery scene that seems to be in a lot of them.

Secondly, the author mentioned that there was an element of the space western to the piece, and that some of the world building for the story reflected that.

Thirdly, my other jobs have taken me up against what I view as the stigmata of fandom; the initial cancellation of Doctor Who in the UK and the cancellation of Firefly in the US. As the story put me
In mind of that, it was a logical conclusion for me to not only talk about it, but also exits the space western sub genre and try and offer a few other recommendations for people still suffering withdrawal. 

I'm with you.  This was obviously a space western from the get go.  Elias's "southern patois" (which was well-rendered in audio.)  Elias's ship was referred to as a "wagon".  "Sheriffs" chasing gangs of criminals across the the wide open plains spaces - frontier.  "Sundance."  The call out to the western genre was very strong.

I don't quite share your love of space westerns.  I did end up loving Firefly because it was exceptionally well written series despite the very heavy-handed space western aspects.  The science was pretty awful, and when it comes down to it I prefer my heroes to be the scientist, engineers, and explorers.

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 01:02:38 AM
Uggg!  I feel like I am getting repetitive with my concrit for EscapePod episodes again.  This story didn't hang entirely on the twist, but I saw it coming from half-way through the story.  A few too many mentions of Elias listening to his Bluegrass and the moment they mentioned again (admittedly I wasn't paying that much attention to the science) that the M thingy sent out a signal, I knew he was going to use his music to replace the signal and mod the engine.  Until his explanation at the end I had no idea how the bilge played into it.

EP has had a recent run of shorter episodes.  Nothing wrong with that since the 35 min range is perfect for my commute, but those often seem to have twist endings and a lot of the twists haven't surprised me like I think they were supposed to.  That's good that it didn't just come out of left field but perhaps too much was given away.

Good world-building, though.  It's either a homage to or rip off of the western genre (depending on your perspective).  I didn'tr eally like the story that much, but the world-building did stick with me enough that I recalled this story I listened to during my morning commute a lot better than the one I just listened  to during my evening commute.