Author Topic: Pseudopod 321: I Am The Box, The Box Is Me  (Read 11863 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 02:07:25 PM
The air horn did get old (especially since it sounded like a hand held air horn and not a large, ship-mounted fog horn.)

Sorry to say, though, it WAS true to life fog horn - from Portland Bay, iirc (this source sample was from my secret stash of sounds and not from the free sounds site)

Special Ed

• Extern
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 02:45:12 PM
Sorry to say, though, it WAS true to life fog horn - from Portland Bay, iirc (this source sample was from my secret stash of sounds and not from the free sounds site)

I stand corrected!  Thanks. 
I'm glad I don't live anywhere near that one.  It lacks the majesty of a deep, throaty fog horn.  Or maybe the speakers in my car are just really crappy.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:04 PM
I enjoyed several parts of this story, and in particular the bit where the narrator got confused between himself as a former person and himself as a former tree.  I liked the rope creaking for mood, but I think the foghorn was a little distracting; it kept popping up in the loop and drowning out a word or two in the quiet bits.  There was one moment when the narrator mentions the foghorns, and the sound appeared right afterward, and that was nice, but I think it could otherwise have been clipped out to profitable effect.

A little less foghorn would have made this perfect for me. I loved the lower rumbling horn that also sounds like horns that trains use.

I dug the story. The end of the world relayed by someone who can't see is a really fascinating concept. And we get to say Shoggoth In A Box. And I enjoy good use of Lovecraft's mythos just like I enjoy good use of vampires and zombies. To the rest of you, better luck next week!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”