Author Topic: PC248: Bleaker Collegiate Presents an All-Female Production of Waiting for Godot  (Read 11688 times)

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
I wanted to pop in and mention that I thought that the narration of this story was so very, very well done.  It wholly brought forward the feelings I had for the story itself.  I'm listening to a character who is completely bored with things...just, kinda like I thought the story was.  I kept asking myself through the podcast, "So, is this going to pick up, or will it just be Plain Jane all the way through?"

I'm afraid that's time I'll never get back.  But, the narration was, as I said, spot on.

Failure is an event, not a person.

jdarksun

• Extern
  • Scion of Chaos
Loved the reading, lukewarm on the story (not due to quality of content, but for lack of action), confused as to why this is on Podcastle.   The hint of a hint at the crossroads?

...that said, I didn't dislike it.  Mainly because it reminded me of high school.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
I think I have a problem with the narration? Because it's like everything ends in a question? And I'm not sure if we're supposed to believe what she's saying? Or if SHE believes what she's saying? About anything? You Know?

Actually, to be fair, I think it was a fairly good reconstruction of the sound of tentative adolescence, but that doesn't keep it from annoying the living #&@()* out of me. It's that particular verbal tick that annoys me, not the narration. The world would be much better off if young people had a bit more confidence in what they were saying; not the confidence of a sociopath, mind you, but enough so that saying your name doesn't sound like in ends in a question mark.

As for the story, and what happens in it, is it fantasy, blah-blah-blah. No, it's not Tolkien or Conan. That's ok.

chemistryguy

• Matross
  • Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970
    • 5000 People can't be wrong...or can they?
I think I have a problem with the narration? Because it's like everything ends in a question? And I'm not sure if we're supposed to believe what she's saying? Or if SHE believes what she's saying? About anything? You Know?

Actually, to be fair, I think it was a fairly good reconstruction of the sound of tentative adolescence, but that doesn't keep it from annoying the living #&@()* out of me. It's that particular verbal tick that annoys me, not the narration. The world would be much better off if young people had a bit more confidence in what they were saying; not the confidence of a sociopath, mind you, but enough so that saying your name doesn't sound like in ends in a question mark.

Most of this is taking place inside her head.  Thoughts can't just be copied and put into print.  Whatever you're reading (or listening to) is an interpretation.  Nothing more.

I remember my teenage years not necessarily questioning everything I did, but lacking any form of confidence.  I didn't know who I was, and if there was an inner dialogue running it would have probably sounded like the way the story ran.  Throw homosexuality into the mix, and things get even more confusing (I'd imagine).

Though not a fan of the story, it (story and reader) did a bang up job of moving us into the mind of another.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
I also can't decide if the narration was a failed experiment, or brilliant. The pauses and sniffs, the ending at least 50% of the sentences with a questioning inflection, the hesitation. Yeah, I'm leaning toward brilliant, but I'm not really sure yet. I also wanted to add that I really enjoyed Peter Wood's intro. :)

Finally decided it was brilliant, because without it I would have been frustrated rather than intrigued by the story. So yay for that. :)

ancawonka

• Palmer
I'm not sure what it says about we here in the forums, complaining that "not enough happened" in a story based on "Waiting for Godot".  Is that irony?

The narrator did a great job, especially around the part where she actually goes to the crossroads and something ... happens.  The girl's voice becomes more confident for just a bit, and then she's back in her shell.   The symbolism, between nosebleeds, blood, cemeteries, and Godot, seems complex and worth thinking about more. 

I admit I skipped the intro, as it was going on a bit too long. 

chemistryguy

• Matross
  • Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970
    • 5000 People can't be wrong...or can they?
I'm not sure what it says about we here in the forums, complaining that "not enough happened" in a story based on "Waiting for Godot".  Is that irony?

Yes. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Thumbs up to Peter's intro. I like getting to understand the whole cast of characters around here better.

I also can't decide if the narration was a failed experiment, or brilliant. The pauses and sniffs, the ending at least 50% of the sentences with a questioning inflection, the hesitation. Yeah, I'm leaning toward brilliant, but I'm not really sure yet. I also wanted to add that I really enjoyed Peter Wood's intro. :)

Finally decided it was brilliant, because without it I would have been frustrated rather than intrigued by the story. So yay for that. :)

I don't think I am quite arty enough for this story. I've done a little drama, but enough so the greek chorus in San Francisco story worked for me where this one didn't nearly so well. Further, I have no exposure to the play, and I'm not sure I'd be inclined to like it because I tend to dislike moody things without plot. However, I'll agree entirely with Devoted on the brilliant reading, including the self doubt about said brilliance.

A couple of years ago I saw a production starring Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen.

It was GLORIOUS.

If you can, find that online, it'll raise the text immeasurably.

Looks like they're gonna be doing it again. Damn. I'd love to see that. 

That would be a thing indeed. I think if I were to experience Godot, it would need to be like this. This just might be worth making long-term plans for.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Gripping, but not fantasy, and not finished. =(

The narration was perfect- at first I was a little annoyed until I realized the narrator is channeling the main character* flawlessly.

*(I can't call her a protagonist, as she didn't really protag anything)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:32:16 AM by Dave »

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Special Ed

• Extern
I want to be the sort of reader that can honestly say "oh wow, that was deep and moving."  I want to be the sort of reader that can find and appreciate the depth of a story like this. 

Instead, I'm the sort of reader that says, "What the hell was that?"  It comes off as pretentious crap like a wine taster that says something about tannins and hints of random fruits or trees.  From a quick skim of the Wikipedia page for Waiting for Godot, the play and Becket himself also come across as pretentious crap.   And yes, a quick skim was all I gave the Wikipedia page; it deserves no more of my time.

I enjoy a good puzzle.  I find few things more frustrating than a bad mystery masquerading as a puzzle.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
In 2009 I had the pleasure of seeing a one man show version of Beckett's rarely produced text "The Lost Ones" - it was one of the most intense and fascinating things I have ever experienced (and there is no plot) - something like the mood of Thomas Ligotti evoked into the real world.  Amazing stuff - if you have a chance, never deny yourself the challenge of Samuel Beckett.

Special Ed

• Extern
... it was one of the most intense and fascinating things I have ever experienced (and there is no plot) - something like the mood of Thomas Ligotti evoked into the real world...

Intentionally or not, you just revealed to me where I went astray with this story.  I expected a plot.  If instead I had expected a verbal painting of a mood or atmosphere, I would have appreciated it.

If I ever have the opportunity to see a Beckett play, I'll have to remind myself to expect a mood not a plot.

childoftyranny

• Matross
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I have not a clue what half the symbols means but I really enjoyed the writing, I enjoy the narrations, I even enjoyed the pretentiousness! I was never much for the perfomance arts, but I was involved in poetry at my college so while I do actually find some out that "feeling" annoying it fits so perfectly into the story that any aggravation was washed away.

In many ways I think the best reponse to "is this insert-genre-here", at least in these podcasts is that fore-most I think the focus is speculative fiction, and then the genres are where the podcasts focus within that arena. That being said this story felt very fantastic, in the mind-fog it creates. Really its a fairly normal scene either in high-school or college, but them it grows more dramatic, perhaps the girl is just sick, but perhaps thee is more to this town somwhere in mysterious Canada!