Author Topic: It has begun  (Read 28591 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: March 04, 2013, 01:12:25 AM
The end of times is upon us The contest has begun!  I thought I would take some time to highlight a few things, separately from the rules thread and the questions thread.  Consider this an FAQ or something like that.

If you cannot see the stories, you probably haven't posted anything yet.  Make a post, introduce yourselves, or just comment on a story.  Once you have made at least one post on the forums, you will be able to see the story threads!

This contest has 153 entries!  That means 13 groups of 11 stories, and 1 group of 10 stories (all randomized, of course, except for making sure that an author does not compete against her/himself until the final round if the stories are that good).

I will release a new group every other day starting on Sunday, March 3rd, hopefully at or around 12am EST.  Voting for a story group will take place over the course of a full week to give everyone enough time to read through the stories!  With 14 groups, that means that all stories should be posted by March 28th.

If you are an author and believe there to be an error in the posting of your story, please either PM me here or email me at bdoomed@gmail.com.  I will see email faster, as it goes to my phone.  I will judge author pleas on a case by case basis :).  Upon editing of a story thread, I will make a post detailing the reason for the edit.  (ex. Edited for missing italics)

After all voting is done, author bylines will be released for each story, unless the author messages me with explicit instructions not to do so.  Last year, I removed a story thread upon request from the author for publication reasons.  Note that stories on this forum are not considered published, as they are hidden from the general public.

Creating multiple accounts to vote for a story will get you banned from the forums and your story kicked from the contest. If you are sharing a computer, living space, or router with someone else who will be voting or creating an account, make sure to message me. Failure to do so may result in various adverse effects such as account deletion and/or banning.

As always, constructive discussion is encouraged about all stories posted in this contest. The key word here is constructive. Normal forum rules remain in place. Be civil and respectful. That's our one rule. Rude and unconstructive negativity will be deleted or edited, and the offending poster will be warned. This goes for authors as well. You are free to comment on any story, including your own, but keep it civil and respectful. I reserve the right to kick any author and their stories out of the contest should there be ample reason.

And remember, at all times, adhere to our one rule

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:58 AM

Ettan

• Peltast
    • Weird Wild Art
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:57:14 AM
Any info on how many people entered 2 stories and how many entered one? Just curious.

weirdwildart.com

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:24:13 AM

The avalanche of stories has already begun, it is too late for the pebbles to write.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:57:06 AM
Any info on how many people entered 2 stories and how many entered one? Just curious.
Nah, I don't have that number.  It was quite a few though. 

JCHemphill

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:26:56 PM
I see that we can't make multiple accounts to vote with. Does that imply that it is okay--as an entrant--to vote once, under our regular account. I would avoid voting in the rounds my stories were included in, but I'd like to vote for the other rounds.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:07:15 PM
You're allowed to vote for your own stories, yes.  Whether you do or not depends on your own feelings on the matter.  It's certainly not unreasonable; Barack Obama and Mitt Romney both got to vote in the presidential election, for instance, and I'm fairly sure we can guess who each of them voted for.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:20:12 PM
You can vote on whatever you want to vote for!  Just don't vote with multiple accounts, and don't go tell all of your friends to register and only vote on your story! :P

jormangundr

• Extern
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:50:45 PM
So just make a post and we should start seeing the stories?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:29 PM
NO!  ... Okay yes.

matthewrweaver

• Extern
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:56:04 AM
Hooray! First post!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:07 AM
Group two has been released upon the unsuspecting public.  Those poor souls.

deboree

• Extern
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:38 AM
Hello all. First time writer inner, long time listener. Heck that's a lot of flash. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guy have come up with.

debs

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24:29 AM
Group two has been released upon the unsuspecting public.  Those poor souls.
And now I've posted on every thread in the group.  Even poorer souls.

canajunsam

• Palmer
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:27 AM
Now that I've read some of the other stories, I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm REALLY intimidated by the talent here....

...And I promise you, it's true.
       -Mur Lafferty, Pseudopod episode 1, The bag man

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 04:28:52 PM
Yay! Time to start being thoroughly creeped out in 500-word chunks. :o

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:19:00 PM
I hope that everyone who entered votes in every group, at least. I hope some writers don't say "Eh, my story's not in this one, so I'll skip it." There's such a good turnout.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

Kezotron

• Extern
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:44:55 PM
This Flash contest was great inspiration.   Made me get out the old typewriter and brush up .   Problem is the old machine doesn't have E-mail.

What was that?  Did you hear that?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:38 AM
Hello all. First time writer inner, long time listener. Heck that's a lot of flash. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guy have come up with.

debs

Excellent, excellent, welcome fresh meat honoured newcomer! We hope you stay around to enjoy our cooking pot friendly company!

Blaznak

• Palmer
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:01 AM
Having read all the entries so far, along with commentary thereafter, I am amazed at how strong the imagination and writing is, overall. Cool fun!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:35 AM
Sorry guys, Group 3 got away from me.  I think someone sabotaged the cage.  Damn kids, they don't know what they let loose.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 12:58:24 PM
Whoa... are you going to be releasing a group a day now?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:07 PM
No, like I said, it ran away from me.  I tried to keep it hidden from the world but it seemed to have a mind of its own!

kris27w

• Extern
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:40 PM
Sounds like fun.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:37 PM
Will group four be posted in two days, or three?  (On the 8th or the 9th?)  I only ask because I'm going to be travelling soon and don't want to come to the next group late.