Author Topic: PC257: The Queen and The Cambion  (Read 10297 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 12:11:20 PM
I enjoyed the story. I wasn't expecting it to draw me in, but it did. Perhaps it's the familiarity I have with the Arthurian age that made me want to see how this author interpreted it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:13 PM
This story snuck up on me, and I see I'm not alone. I was all prepared to be a curmudgeonly grump, but damn if the story didn't grow on me as it went along. I really liked these characters.

And to pick nits, if someone guest hosts all the time, then they're host not guest host. I like the EA guest hosting, but I also enjoy the regular hosts. I'm sure Her Majesty MK has no objections to allowing DKT to conduct the duties of seneschal for her. The Queen can't do everything, she has an entire Queendom to run.

Well, I guess Steward would probably be a better title for Dave. Unless he was running post-invasion France for her...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:45:48 PM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:06 AM
And hey Wilson, do you have a new mic? Your voice sounded different, more resonant, more present.

Wow, good ear! I do, actually. I bought a Shure SM-58 after Christmas. I'm quite pleased with it, and happy you noticed. Thanks!

Hmm, might have to think about that myself! It "shure" sounds good.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 07:24:11 PM
These types of stories usually don't interest me, but this one grabbed me and pulled me in, although I do admit my attention started to wander a bit before the first summoning of Merlin.

I also wondered at first why Wilson Fowlie was selected to narrate a story where the main character was female, but even that made sense after I got into it. To wit: he's just that good. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Kittiwake

• Extern
Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 08:31:15 PM
I think it was implied that Queen Elizabeth II summoned Merlin to kill Princess Diana :o It was a very enjoyable story though.

Frungi

• Palmer
    • More contact info
Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 09:14:48 PM
I think it was implied that Queen Elizabeth II summoned Merlin to kill Princess Diana :o It was a very enjoyable story though.
Was it? I didn’t catch that at all. Where was that?

Kittiwake

• Extern
Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 09:36:13 PM
Merlin said something about a princess killed in Paris with flashing lights and pursuing vehicles. I assumed that was Diana.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:00 PM
Merlin said something about a princess killed in Paris with flashing lights and pursuing vehicles. I assumed that was Diana.

I didn't take it that way. I interpreted it that someone (Charles? Diana herself? One of her sons?) summoned him and he couldn't save her in time.

(I could easily be wrong, of course. Maybe the author left it interpretable deliberately...)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

eytanz

Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:38 AM

I didn't take it that way. I interpreted it that someone (Charles? Diana herself? One of her sons?) summoned him and he couldn't save her in time.

(I could easily be wrong, of course. Maybe the author left it interpretable deliberately...)

I don't think that interpretation works, as the story stated multiple times that Merlin is bound to the monarch - why would he answer summons from the monarch's extended family (note that despite his fondness of her, he did not appreciate the summon from Victoria when she was not yet the rightful queen).

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 01:43:36 PM
I also wondered at first why Wilson Fowlie was selected to narrate a story where the main character was female, but even that made sense after I got into it. To wit: he's just that good. :)

Indeed. Wilson Fowlie is NEVER the wrong choice to narrate a story (though he may not be the only right one).  :)