Author Topic: PC028: The Tanuki-Kettle  (Read 23780 times)

SFFNut314159265

• Extern
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 04:11:52 PM
 ;D Tanuki Kettle, you make me laugh!!

Although I have to wonder what your serving those people  :-X

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 08:22:11 PM
I started off wary at another fairy tale, another oriental-esque fairy tale, but this quickly won me over.  The lightness of touch was delightful and the reading brought out the best in the story.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 09:10:12 PM
I started off wary at another fairy tale, another oriental-esque fairy tale, but this quickly won me over.  The lightness of touch was delightful and the reading brought out the best in the story.

I'm actually predisposed to like stories set in feudal Japan.  Motto onegai shimasu.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

mudguts

• Extern
    • Blog Allo!
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 07:17:37 PM
This was a cute story.  It would make a great little animated piece for kids. 
though it got a bit side-tracked.

It started out with a seer telling the mother that the child would be wild.. but then turned into a romance story??

If you pull out the beginning and just started the story with the girl at the tea-house.. it would've been complete.   

Unless the story had a twist at the end where the seer was the Tanuki... that might have brought the story together.. otherwise, it didn't make sense.

6.5/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Free Blogs, Free Hosting, Free domain name
http://www.BlogAllo.com

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38:44 PM
Cute, and I liked the Tanuki, a little guy I could easily root for.

And, I hadn't realized it until hearing the intro, but I've come across these Tanuki creatures before!  In 2 separate video games, it turns out.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
One of the best side-scroller games of all time.  One of Mario's rarer power ups is the "Tanooki" suit (that's how it was spelled in the game strategy guides and stuff).  The more common "raccoon" suit gives Mario a raccoon tail and ears, and he can smack enemies with the tail, and can use the tail to fly or to slow a fall.  The Tanooki suit is similar, but is a full raccoon outfit covering everything but Mario's face.  It can do everything the Raccoon suit can do, but Mario can also turn into a statue for a few seconds which is invulnerable to damage.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Super NES)
This is a really fun game set in Japan which has the ninja character traveling through various regions of Japan to rescue a princess.  This has a lot of elements of Japanese culture sewn into the plot and setting, which I thought was a fun way for kids to come across it.  The raccoon-dog (which is what he's called in the game) shows up from time to time, I think it was just a speaking character to give the player information.  Surprisingly, his giant testicles are there and uncensored.  It's surprising because the censors in the U.S. rarely have let nudity slip by in kid's games.  Final Fantasy III, for instance, had some summon magics that had some nudity in the Japanese versions that was covered up for the U.S. releases.  Anyway, when I played this game, I couldn't tell on the game screen that they were supposed to be testicles.  I did, however, subscribe to Nintendo Power magazine at the time and in their article showcasing the game they showed the characters including the raccoon-dog drawn as cartoons and his testicles were obvious in that rendition.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 01:07:28 AM
I'll happily join the chorus on this one. Very enjoyable story.

After listening to the story, the Tanuki-Kettle reminded me a bit of the fire demon in Howl's Moving Castle. Why do I find these Japanese-style stories so compelling?

This is really late, I know, but...
You do know that Howl's Moving Castle is an Occidental story written by British author Diana Wynne Jones, right?

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 04:01:09 AM
You do know that Howl's Moving Castle is an Occidental story written by British author Diana Wynne Jones, right?

Although -- to be fair -- Miyazaki's Calcifer was not the same as DWJ's.

(Says the reader who vastly prefers book!Calcifer.)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:25 AM

Although -- to be fair -- Miyazaki's Calcifer was not the same as DWJ's.

Hell, Miyazaki's story was not the same as DWJ's.  One wonders why he bothered to "adapt" the book at all.  If he'd just renamed some characters and changed a couple of other small details, he could have saved whatever he spent on the film rights.  ???

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 06:50:53 AM
Well, I was trying not to wear my purist colors TOO obviously on my sleeve. :-)  But yeah, round about where it got to Wizard Suliman, I said to the screen, "you're supposed to be a man, and dead," and that was pretty much the last anybody saw of the book's plot.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:31 PM
One of my favorite tiki mugs:

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”