Author Topic: PC250: Logic And Magic In The Time Of The Boat Lift  (Read 9314 times)

chaoservices

• Extern
Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:58 AM
I don't speak up much but this story inspired me to say a word or two:

All around great. A fantastic compliment of narration and word-craft.

For the first time, in a long time of podcast fiction, the similes were way above par and really brought the protagonist into her own. Maybe the contemporary subtropical setting has my view askew but there was almost a Hunter Thompson style about this piece.

And what a one eyed heroine! Stubbornly flawed and entirely human, definitely a persona I would like to channel or buy drinks for.

I don't know that I've associated Cat Rambo with more then an interesting name and Ben Burgis hadn't even penetrated my shallow brain but I'll certainly be listening more closely to their work from here on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:34:04 AM by chaoservices »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
This story didn't wow me.  It did seem to be out of a book of formulas for urban fantasy.  I'm still not really sure what "the time of the boat lift" is, nor what the significance of the boat lift actually is.  Well, at least not that I remember a couple weeks after listening, but that makes the title pretty ineffective for me.

I was really excited to see a story that combines logic and magic, because there's really no reason the two are incompatible.  But I was annoyed that a textbook logical paradox was the way to win the day--it felt like the climax to a Golden Age SF story when that was still a new idea.  That idea is about as novel these days as "And those two people were Adam and Eve".  It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just that it's an idea that has been used to death.