Escape Artists

News:

• Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

News

Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

Author Topic: Pseudopod 329: Red Rubber Gloves  (Read 17705 times)

TheBigBlueFrog

• Extern
    • Blue Frog Design Studios
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 04:05:30 PM
The host mentions "The House of Fallen Leaves" in the intro as an example of typography in support of story, but I think maybe he means Mark Danielewski's "House of Leaves."

Can someone confirm this?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
As the host, yes I can in fact confirm that:) Factual error on my part, apologies for any confusion.

TheBigBlueFrog

• Extern
    • Blue Frog Design Studios
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 04:50:57 PM
No problem. I knew exactly what you were talking about. I've been trying to convince a few friends to read "House of Leaves" so I will have someone to discuss it with. It's such a creepy book. I felt squeamish even reading it in the bright sunlight outside. I decoded all of the letters from the mother, and they are horrifying. Finally got a copy of the full-color hardback edition, which was fiction itself for so long. Can't find anyone willing to do the work necessary to read it — by which I mean following EVERY SINGLE footnote to its finish before getting back to the story.

I want to write an RPG scenario for Pathfinder based on the house.

PrimerofinTheSequel

• Extern
  • I kill therefore I am [human]
Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 02:36:41 AM
I loved this.
Fully understand why many people didn't.
I like the weird.
This was.
Hypnotized me.
Got out my gloves.
Red rubber gloves.

PrimerofinTheSequel

• Extern
  • I kill therefore I am [human]
Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 02:45:42 AM
...  I am a rather slow reader--I haven't tried any speed reading stuff, but they always sound gimmicky to me.

I took a speed reading class the summer before I started college - thought it'd give an edge.
It actually works. Could fly through a book and pass a comprehension test just fine.

But....

It converts reading from a pleasure activity into work.
Must really focus like a laser scanning the pages.
This took away the best part of reading - allowing your mind to wander as inspired by the text or the girl next to you.

So I abandoned the speed reading. And pursued the girl next to me.

Every so often I shift into speed reading mode more as a skimming tool to find a specific phrase or part of the book I'm interested in.

More often I shift into the girl next to me.

TimWB

• Palmer
  • Author "The Flesh Sutra", 2015 Stoker Prelim Nom
    • To Smother In Orderr To Sell The Body To Science
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 01:09:11 AM
The repetition gives a great feeling for the protagonist's physical (and perhaps mental) limitations. It seemed a cross between Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley) and the surreal Thomas Liggotti.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:15 AM
I was quite impressed by the way the transition of time was deftly presented. It also helped to focus that this was the same scene at a different time. I loved this story, but Rear Window is also my fave Hitchcock film by a comfortable margin.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”