Author Topic: Sci-Fi Music  (Read 61626 times)

izzardfan

Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:45 PM
And then of course there's the Ondes Martenot, a fantastic sounding instrument which is  electronic. and that was invented in 1928! You could argue that that was the genesis of electronic music, with the first of the electronic instruments.

If you've never heard the Ondes Martenot in action, by the way, it's really something special and they remain quite rare.

I went looking on YouTube and found this on the Ondes Martenot.

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 11:05:09 PM
It's incredibly cool the way they wear rings to play it, I've always thought.

The sounds it makes are just fantastic, I really love the way it sounds...

I'll admit that I love this mainly because of Radiohead using it on How To Disappear Completely, but I've listened to plenty of other Ondes music because of that song. The band is so obsessed with the Ondes that they use it live in every other song, and it works very well.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:08:03 PM by Raving_Lunatic »

goatkeeper

Reply #102 on: October 18, 2010, 06:11:07 PM
The band that played before me at Con on the Cobb this weekend was a really cool sci-fi band called 19 Action News.  Kind of a Dave Bowie meets Gorillaz sound.  The album of theirs I got is all about the Apocalypse, the songs all different events and individual's stories in the last days.  As you listen to the last few tracks you find that there is a larger unifying plot going on which ends up concluding really cool.  The last track is really pretty-- the only lyrics are:
"Here it comes, it's like the rays of the sun, it's like the cool of the breeze, it's the like the shade of the trees"

http://www.myspace.com/19actionnews

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #103 on: October 18, 2010, 06:24:27 PM
Deltron 3030.

Deltron 3030 is a supergroup consisting of 3 members: the hugely slept on Del tha Funkee Homosapien (who is mostly known for his contribution on Gorillaz’ first album), Dan the Automator who takes the spot as producer and last but not least DJ Kid Koala, who works miracles on the turntables. Together they created a masterpiece.

Set in the year 3030 (this being a full concept album), it revolves around the character Deltron Zero who is sent out to out-rap all rappers in a corporate controlled society (well, that’s what I got out of it). The whole album is like a space opera where Dan the Automator creates this amazing atmosphere of mind state, which can only be described as something in the way of dead space. Here Del can float around and do whatever he wants to, fusing vivid metaphors with slick flows and a clear direction; all of which he does to perfection. He flows so flawlessly on the smooth sci-fi beats, and his rhymes keep you challenged and mind-blown at the same time.

The musical aspect is what makes this album come together so well. Truly reassembling a sound so unique it’s hard to compare with any other release I can remember. Stretching over more than 24 tracks, it’s a tour de force in futuristic beats sprinkled with hard-hitting snares, biting drums and looped samples that will dig under your skin and crawl down your spine. Borrowing from everything within the range of alt-rock riffs and opera samples, every beat is in constant development to enhance itself and surprise the listener. Kid Koala’s signature scratching is visible throughout all 24 tracks which makes the whole ride so much more fun and interesting, because not only do you get super complex rhymes and beats, you are also constantly reminded that despite being on some planet 1000 years from now, this is still in the heart of Hip-Hop.

“Who fuses the music, with no illusions
Producing the blueprints, clueless?
Automator – defy the laws of nature
Electronic monolith throw a jam upon the disc
The futuristic looper with the quickness
Hyper-producin’ hydrogen fusion liquids keep your distance”

To be honest, this is quite a geeky album; the lyricism that controls the album is in a techno language that can be a bit hard to follow. You won’t really get it on your first listen. For me, this is a vital album to remind us that music should be fun, challenging and always moving forward. Everyone should listen to this album, it’s simply something you can’t miss out on. Standout tracks would be the incredibly beautiful “3030″, the boom bap like “Mastermind”, the almost psychotic “Madness” and middle eastern inspired “Turbulence”. However, you shouldn’t skip any tracks as you would only miss out on the complete package, which is important for such a creation.

My advice would be to put it on and just drift away into this foreign universe along with the 3 creators and see the world the way they see it.

I actually came to nerdcore rap by way of this album. I also came to Gorillaz by way of this album.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:26:59 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #104 on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:42 PM
...and speaking of nerdcore rap, the Futuristic Sex Robotz have a couple of SFnal tracks on their album HOTEL CORAL ESSEX (free download!)

One about Back to the Future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGAMudQl8Q

...and one about Lt. Cmdr. Data: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qar0unFwm2I

Be warned, the Data one is SRSLY NSFW. Even the BttF rap is a bit explicit.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #105 on: October 21, 2010, 02:01:39 PM
Deltron 3030.

Deltron 3030 is a supergroup consisting of 3 members: the hugely slept on Del tha Funkee Homosapien (who is mostly known for his contribution on Gorillaz’ first album), Dan the Automator who takes the spot as producer and last but not least DJ Kid Koala, who works miracles on the turntables. Together they created a masterpiece.

Set in the year 3030 (this being a full concept album), it revolves around the character Deltron Zero who is sent out to out-rap all rappers in a corporate controlled society (well, that’s what I got out of it). The whole album is like a space opera where Dan the Automator creates this amazing atmosphere of mind state, which can only be described as something in the way of dead space. Here Del can float around and do whatever he wants to, fusing vivid metaphors with slick flows and a clear direction; all of which he does to perfection. He flows so flawlessly on the smooth sci-fi beats, and his rhymes keep you challenged and mind-blown at the same time.

The musical aspect is what makes this album come together so well. Truly reassembling a sound so unique it’s hard to compare with any other release I can remember. Stretching over more than 24 tracks, it’s a tour de force in futuristic beats sprinkled with hard-hitting snares, biting drums and looped samples that will dig under your skin and crawl down your spine. Borrowing from everything within the range of alt-rock riffs and opera samples, every beat is in constant development to enhance itself and surprise the listener. Kid Koala’s signature scratching is visible throughout all 24 tracks which makes the whole ride so much more fun and interesting, because not only do you get super complex rhymes and beats, you are also constantly reminded that despite being on some planet 1000 years from now, this is still in the heart of Hip-Hop.

“Who fuses the music, with no illusions
Producing the blueprints, clueless?
Automator – defy the laws of nature
Electronic monolith throw a jam upon the disc
The futuristic looper with the quickness
Hyper-producin’ hydrogen fusion liquids keep your distance”

To be honest, this is quite a geeky album; the lyricism that controls the album is in a techno language that can be a bit hard to follow. You won’t really get it on your first listen. For me, this is a vital album to remind us that music should be fun, challenging and always moving forward. Everyone should listen to this album, it’s simply something you can’t miss out on. Standout tracks would be the incredibly beautiful “3030″, the boom bap like “Mastermind”, the almost psychotic “Madness” and middle eastern inspired “Turbulence”. However, you shouldn’t skip any tracks as you would only miss out on the complete package, which is important for such a creation.

My advice would be to put it on and just drift away into this foreign universe along with the 3 creators and see the world the way they see it.

I actually came to nerdcore rap by way of this album. I also came to Gorillaz by way of this album.

Killer record. The best pairing of Del, and Dan the Automator. Rivals their shared tracks on Handsome Boy Modeling School.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

knigget

• Matross
  • Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
    • apoGrypha
Reply #106 on: November 08, 2010, 02:55:30 AM
Apologies if someone mentioned it already (this is a long thread) --

Yes, this is Sarah Brightman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6MAyTXMRAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6MAyTXMRA

http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com

What would have been written. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

non-euclidean geo.

• Extern
Reply #107 on: December 05, 2010, 05:58:58 AM
He's right, kids:  Knights of Cydonia, spaghetti western meets Barbarella!  It's a h00t.  :)

Great video, but it's an homage to an even better movie. Netflix El Topo sometime.

As for songs and bands with a fair amount of SFish material, I'll add:

The Ramones - Zero Zero UFO & Makin' Monsters For My Friends
Elvis Costello - My Science Fiction Twin
Scatterbrain - I'm With Stupid
Dresden Dolls - Coin-Operated Boy
Fantomas
The Kinks - Artificial Man
The Cramps - I Was a Teenage Werewolf among others.
Spacehog
Department of Crooks
Eleven - bonus points for Natasha Schneider starring in the movie 2010.
Alice Cooper - Generation Landslide & Clones
Pixies
Van Halen - Atomic Punk & Light Up the Sky
Black Sabbath - I saw mention of Dio, but has no one mentioned Sabbath?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:30:07 PM by non-euclidean geo. »

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #108 on: December 14, 2010, 03:43:45 PM
There's always the subgenre of Surf Rock known as "Space Rock", but unfortunately the only title I can think of is "Telstar" by The Tornados (and covered by many others).
[snip]
The surfguitar101.com site has a podcast, and episode 7 was all about Space Rock, with a selection of vintage and contemporary tunes.
See http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Podcast

March 01, 2009 • Episode 7
The Space Surf Podcast

Space Surf - The final frontier. These are the musical voyages of the Starship SG-101. Its 5 year mission to explore strange new sounds, to seek out new songs and not-so-new Fender guitars. To boldly go where no reverb tank has gone before.

Track List:

Spacecar 2001 - El Ray
Nebula One - The Nebulas
Space Race - Gene & The Esquires
Outer Orbit - Huntington Cads

Terror in Space - Metalunas
Space Echoid - Kilaueaus
Scorpio 6 (Surf, Swim) - Satan's Pilgrims
Third Star to the Left - Nocturnes

Interview and Jon Blair song

Dark Matter - The Thunderchiefs
Space Encounter - The Surfites
Space Mission Number 12 - Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited
Space Probe - Chantays

Telstar - The Challengers
Space Spade - THE SURF COASTERS
Configuration 9 - Man or Astro-man?
Polaris - The Boys

Santa Claus In Space - The Blue Horizon
Beyond the Third Star - The Space Cossacks
Moon Race - Citations
The Rocket Man - Spotnicks

Mystery Planet - The Bomboras
Moonracers -The Preps
Attack of Robot Atomico - The Ghastly Ones
Mickey Aversa - Blast Off Various Artists

The Sea Of Stars - Vibrasonic

Download Now (m4a) • 77.43 MB • 1:26:40
Download Now (mp3)
Scroll back up to Episode 10 for the salute to Horror Rock.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

sketchylines

• Extern
  • http://sketchy-lines.blogspot.com/
    • Sketchy Lines
Reply #109 on: April 28, 2011, 08:46:44 AM
Clint Mansell's piano soundtrack for "Moon".

Buck Alive

• Extern
Reply #110 on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:17 PM
Sci Fi Music is just beginning to be developed.
There are new types of music expressing devices beginning to emerge... Like a song in my breast wishing to break FREE ... and run about the space ship chasing Sigourni Weaver and her cat? I just want's to infect the cat with Eggs and watch him liquefy.
In space... No one can hear your cat Splash....

Ted Nugent
Cat Splash Fever
 MEAOW!!!!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #111 on: June 13, 2011, 05:08:27 PM
Sci Fi Music is just beginning to be developed.

Sci-fi music has been in development since the 1960s at the latest, and probably much earlier.

There are new types of music expressing devices beginning to emerge... Like a song in my breast wishing to break FREE ... and run about the space ship chasing Sigourni Weaver and her cat? I just want's to infect the cat with Eggs and watch him liquefy.

Ted Nugent
Cat Splash Fever
 MEAOW!!!!

O-kay.... [backing away slowly]

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #112 on: August 06, 2011, 10:04:31 PM
I just want's to infect the cat with Eggs and watch him liquefy.

Are you referring to the Drabblecast episode from a couple years ago?  Playoffs?!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #113 on: September 10, 2011, 05:48:51 PM
Coming back to Deltron 3030...
Discovered this last Thursday and had a nerdgasm...

DJ Nerd42 apparently does mashups/mixtapes (I'm sure we all know what a mashup is; in the context of hiphop a "mixtape" is a rap track using a beat that's made up of samples from another artist's song), and this first one I've found is a doozy...

http://www.nerdcorenow.com/vb/content/288-...42-Deltron-3742

Deltron 3742 is a sequel to DJ Nerd42's "Chrono Tied" (2009) which combines the
lyrics of Deltron 3030 (2000) over beats made from sampling the Final
Fantasy VII soundtrack. (1997) The album explores the concept of a
dystopian future (much like the game does) from the point of view of
an underground resistance fighter named Deltron Zero. (portrayed by
Del tha Funkee Homosapien)

The album was produced by DJ Nerd42. All lyrics are from Deltron 3030,
except that track 8 samples the chorus from Ronan Keating's "Time
After Time" and track 10 samples Nickelodeon cartoons.

I already regard Deltron 3030 as the ultimate nerdy hiphop record, so I was all over this as soon as I found out about it. Gave it a listen at work yesterday, and it's pretty cool. Only a couple of complaints:
1) the beats are cool, but nowhere approaching the sublime brilliance of Dan the Automator;
2) hearing Del reference Automator (and sing his praises on "Mastermind") over beats that weren't made by Automator, is a bit jarring.
And Nerd42 has chosen to go "radio edit" on Del's raps, dumping the F- and S-bombs, and even a line about "burnin' the herb".

I haven't played Chrono Trigger (yet) and am unfamiliar with the group Fort Minor, but I still plan to check out Nerd42's previous work Chrono Tied soon.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:08:02 PM by stePH »

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #114 on: September 10, 2011, 06:14:39 PM
I'm sure we all know what a mashup is; in the context of hiphop a "mixtape" is a rap track using a beat that's made up of samples from another artist's song

Wow, I feel old.  I'm going to go listen to Newcleus and cry...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #115 on: June 12, 2014, 11:23:39 AM
Thread resurrection in 3...2...1...

My friends have tried to get me to listen to Rush for as long as I can remember, and one of them finally succeeded! Existing Rush fans will already know about "2112", but they've also done a more recent album, Clockwork Angels, which has a rather steampunk storyline tying the songs together.

Another recent album that caught my eye in the library with its steampunk trappings was Thomas Dolby's" Tales of the Floating City". Dolby puts together a well-produced and eclectic set of evocative story songs, running the style gamut from electronic dance anthems to sinuous ballads.

Now I get to catch up on everything else in the thread that I might have missed!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:24:30 PM by eytanz »

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

SonofSpermcube

Reply #116 on: June 14, 2014, 03:03:05 PM
Have some post-apocalypse music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyb3R9vAIbM

Front Line Assembly - Surface Patterns

Seraphim

• Matross
Reply #117 on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:48 PM
I happen to like several songs by Chameleon Circuit, a dedicated Time Lord Rock band whose songs are all about Dr. Who.

Here is a youtube playlist. My favorites: Exterminate, Regenerate; Don't Blink; and maybe The Sound of Drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7_KXL6VBBE&list=PLA5E545281A95D4BA
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:38:28 AM by Seraphim »

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #118 on: July 25, 2014, 12:05:55 PM
That is cool! I'll have to spend more time with that playlist!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:16:04 PM by eytanz »

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #119 on: July 25, 2014, 01:15:20 PM
That is cool! I'll have to spend more time with that playlist!
And now a gratuitous post to try to help @eytanz troubleshoot my app!

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #120 on: July 25, 2014, 05:08:46 PM
I'm sorry to say that skulking in the back of my record collection, I have Danny John Jules, in his guise as The Cat, singing Tongue Tied from the Red Dwarf TV show. With his cover of The Red Dwarf Theme on the B-Side.

Well, I say on the B-Side, but to add insult to injury, I would appear to have bought it on Cassette Single!  :o

I did love (Watch me mis-spell this, folks) Rockette doing the end theme on the original Red Dwarf series though. (I'm a Brit. We say Series, not Season. OKAY?)  ;)

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

alfie

• Extern
Reply #121 on: October 19, 2014, 09:24:25 PM
Good to see  Voivoid mentioned here - Piggy RIP

From a similar genre I'd suggest Ufomammut, everything they have done.

New here, and read I have to post or lose the account, so this was all I could muster. Love the podcasts, only discovered them a few months ago.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #122 on: October 20, 2014, 02:50:08 AM
Always happy to see a new face!  :-D

UnfulredJohnson

• Palmer
Reply #123 on: October 21, 2014, 12:40:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGu43cjoX8M

Last days on mars soundtrack. It's honreal. Movie is only okay tho. Soundtrack builds. Nice writing music.