Author Topic: EP049: Union Dues - Off White Lies  (Read 4960 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 15, 2009, 05:51:27 AM
EP049: Union Dues - Off White Lies

By Jeffrey R. DeRego.
Read by Scott Sigler.

“Leave,” she said calmly, “just go. A recruiting visit was here just three weeks ago and they had no success. The people here don’t much like the Union. Hell, it took me almost a year before any of them would even speak to me, and I didn’t try to razzle-dazzle them.” She quickly scanned the list and produced folders matching each name. “Here,” she said and slid them across the desk, “but they won’t go with you.”

The Union tries very hard to get all Supers to sign on and become active members, but some simply won’t. This is the first Village, and already The Union is constructing others. Either the mutation rate is rising among the Normals, or we’re getting better at ferreting them out. Either way, we need more space.

Rated R.  Contains graphic violence, mature themes, and some profanity.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:54:46 PM
Another great installment in the Union Dues series!  I'm definitely looking for more. 

This was my favorite so far simply because there was a real fight scene, unlike the other two I've heard.  Don't get me wrong, I love the other two for their philosophy and their emotions, but there's nothing quite like a no-holds-barred superhero fight.

I like stories that take a well-worn trope like superheroes and blur the boundaries between good and evil.  Ultra Magnus's killing of a helpless villain was a very powerful moment!  And the fact that the Union set the whole thing up, knowing that some of the villains would probably get killed.  I had wondered how they could possibly stay an organization when all they did was help with rare natural disasters (their help could certainly be used in Haiti right now!)--the rest of the time do they just sit around and do nothing?  So it was good to see some villains even if they seemed more like the good guys than Ultra Magnus did.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:54:35 PM
It's a testament to the author that I was really connecting with the characters. I could totally visualize a scenario where he also recruits the jailor who then takes over his team and makes it real because of her passion.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:28:29 PM
It's a testament to the author that I was really connecting with the characters. I could totally visualize a scenario where he also recruits the jailor who then takes over his team and makes it real because of her passion.

Thanks man :) I am glad these stories still resonate. I did a collection of them in text, with some edits and changes to trim some of the extant storylines and focus the tales a little more. The book, Escape Clause, also contains two new stories, Cover Page, and A Handshake a Gold Watch a Candle... which dovetails with this story.

If you like I can furnish a link to the publisher.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:47 AM

Thanks man :) I am glad these stories still resonate. I did a collection of them in text, with some edits and changes to trim some of the extant storylines and focus the tales a little more. The book, Escape Clause, also contains two new stories, Cover Page, and A Handshake a Gold Watch a Candle... which dovetails with this story.

If you like I can furnish a link to the publisher.

I have put it on my purchase list for next month and have also filled out the form for our library system to purchase it.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”