Author Topic: EP387: Perspective  (Read 13173 times)

Frungi

• Palmer
    • More contact info
Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 05:33:41 AM

Jake Kerr

• Extern
Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 01:29:40 AM
Mat,

This story was originally titled, "Tagging the City." It was changed to something that I felt better fit the double meaning of the father's mindset and how the son was trying to change it, as well as the obvious perspective as seen in the son's final art piece. But, as you mention, the underlying motivation and pscyhology of "tagging"--although not really explored in the story--was certainly in my mind as I wrote it.

Jake

JDoug

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:45:10 PM
The ending was predictable (maybe even intentionally so, considering the title), but I still felt genuinely moved once it was spelled out. I think if a story makes me feel something a smack-in-the-face twist ending might just be a distraction. I enjoyed this one.

Couldn't put it any better myself.

lyda

• Extern
Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:20 PM
Spoiler alert...

At the end he drags his chair out to spend the next ten years looking at his wife. That's nice. And then he's going to hug his son when he gets released from his ten year sentence. That's sweet.

Nice and sweet.

Really? Am I the only one who screamed out, "Your son did all that and you're not going to call a journalist or the cops or the judge so they can see the amazing thing your son did for you?"

No?

Sigh.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 06:47:04 PM

Really? Am I the only one who screamed out, "Your son did all that and you're not going to call a journalist or the cops or the judge so they can see the amazing thing your son did for you?"

I did, too, but my comment got overshadowed by a picture. I think I'll obscure this comment as well.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

lyda

• Extern
Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 06:50:51 PM
I did, too, but my comment got overshadowed by a picture. I think I'll obscure this comment as well.

It's like my momma always told me, "When work gives you a bad day, make a daisy."

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:10 AM
I couldn't help but react to this story from the perspective of a citizen of the city who is anybody except the main character.  My window, my wall, my kiosk, my whatever, permanently defaced for the sake of one grouchy old man who wallows in grief and self-pity?  I don't believe I would feel anything but resentful at being drawn, however peripherally, into this little family drama.  Father and son are a massively dysfunctional, self-absorbed pair.  I don't know if that is how the author wanted me to perceive them, but there you go.
I did like the narrator.  Let's hear more from him.

I agree. I thought the boy was egoistic a**hole.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:01 AM

Actually, I think the father was 1) being realistic (the value of the artwork wouldn't have affected the verdict which was based on the son stealing nano-tech paint) and 2) wanted to keep the artwork to himself.

That said, I have to agree with the people who felt it dragged because they could see the ending coming and just wanted to get to it. It's amazing really, to have a story that is less than 20 minutes feel like it's dragging...

I did like the story though. I generally like stories about very large art installations, so it would be hard for me not to like the story.

lyda

• Extern
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 07:07:53 PM
I agree that the father would likely be too selfish. My complaint isn't really with the author as much as it is with the selfish jerk the author created.

But I do disagree that it would have been pointless. It could have at least, um, painted the boy in a better light. The kid could have used some good press.

MooG

• Extern
Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 11:48:08 AM
No didn't like this one although I will say that the reading nailed the mood of the piece.

It's mostly, as somebody else has already pointed out, that we're supposed to be gladdened that special snowflake and his Dad can have a bonding moment - the rest of the population of the city, they can just lump it.

I'll also just mention in passing (and again I'm not being original here) that calling a rabbit a smeep doesn't make a story Science Fiction but that's an old song so I'll leave it there.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 02:33:18 PM
I forgot what the title was as I was listening, so I didn't get it too early.  But it did seem clear that the story was all building to the reveal of what he was doing.  It was hard to care about either character.

I couldn't help but react to this story from the perspective of a citizen of the city who is anybody except the main character.  My window, my wall, my kiosk, my whatever, permanently defaced for the sake of one grouchy old man who wallows in grief and self-pity?  I don't believe I would feel anything but resentful at being drawn, however peripherally, into this little family drama.  Father and son are a massively dysfunctional, self-absorbed pair.  I don't know if that is how the author wanted me to perceive them, but there you go.
I did like the narrator.  Let's hear more from him.

Hear, hear!  I was surprised that more people hadn't given your reaction.  It's all very nice that you gave your father a portrait of his wife, how lovely.  Too bad everyone else in the city now has to put up with it.

I wasn't really clear on how the nanopaint worked, that it couldn't be covered.  Couldn't you cover it with other nanopaint?  Or put a veneer of something else like spackle over the top and then paint the spackle? 

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
I wasn't really clear on how the nanopaint worked, that it couldn't be covered.  Couldn't you cover it with other nanopaint?  Or put a veneer of something else like spackle over the top and then paint the spackle? 

There is really much proof for my theory, but I want to think of it as active paint, where instead of simply being paint that is applied at a nano level/size its actually made of nanites, which actively rapply the layer and will attack coverings or new nanites that try and invade their current area, at the very least that seems the most fun explation for me!