Author Topic: Pseudopod 329: Red Rubber Gloves  (Read 15237 times)

Red Dog 344

• Palmer
Re: Pseudopod 329: Red Rubber Gloves
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »
This story reduced me to a pile of very happy jelly.  Thanks Pseudopod!  When the gloves changed color at the end it was as "loud" as any Hollywood special effect.  Damon Knight used to say that in the short story, you must furnish a whole world on a budget...

"Red Rubber Gloves" had me thinking about Kelly Link, Ramsey Campbell, and of course Angela Carter.  Now, got to get back to, um, my washing.  Must get back to the washing.

Scumpup

• Peltast
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
I didn't care for this story.  The repetition was much too much, especially of the colors that are mentioned ever time the object they're tied to is mentioned.  Maybe I just don't think that way but it just made the whole thing feel stilted and unnatural and dull.  It was about 90% dullness, and then maybe a butchered baby, and then some more dullness.  The moment of the reveal of the apparent baby was well done, honestly, but the dullness before it was much too much.  I don't care when the woman hangs her laundry.  I don't care that she is sunbathing.  I don't care that she is washing dishes.  I care even less the more it's repeated.

This.
Exactly.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »
I also think it would be interesting to illustrate the scene, there's certainly enough information there.

That's what would probably make this story interesting to me. I found it boring and tedious and too much effort for what little payoff it had at the end. But if someone were to take this and turn it into a 10-minute animated short, silent film (music and sound effects only; no dialogue), I think it would work beautifully.
I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

ThomasTheAttoney

• Palmer
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
I didn't care for this story.  The repetition was much too much, especially of the colors that are mentioned ever time the object they're tied to is mentioned.  Maybe I just don't think that way but it just made the whole thing feel stilted and unnatural and dull.  It was about 90% dullness, and then maybe a butchered baby, and then some more dullness.  

Thank you, Unblinking, you saved me time and disappointment.

I try not to listen until I have had a chance to read your opinion.  Most professional reviewers are trying to make a point, not review things.  You are doing a better job of it, and doing it free.  If you are already reviewing, please share.

How about reviewing more stuff and writing for a review publication?  I don't know if you are a speed reader yet, but it takes about 20 minutes with the decades old Evelyn Wood Speed Reading book to increase your speed about 30% and comprehension about 80%.

Please?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
Thank you, Unblinking, you saved me time and disappointment.

I try not to listen until I have had a chance to read your opinion.  Most professional reviewers are trying to make a point, not review things.  You are doing a better job of it, and doing it free.  If you are already reviewing, please share.

How about reviewing more stuff and writing for a review publication?  I don't know if you are a speed reader yet, but it takes about 20 minutes with the decades old Evelyn Wood Speed Reading book to increase your speed about 30% and comprehension about 80%.

Please?

I write reviews here, and I write reviews for my own site Diabolical Plots.  I'm currently working my way through Nebula and Hugo nominees for this year, and I regularly post Best Of podcast lists for all the podcasts I listen to on my commute.
http://www.diabolicalplots.com/

I have not found anyone who pays me for reviews, though admittedly I haven't tried very hard to seek that out.  :)  I am a rather slow reader--I haven't tried any speed reading stuff, but they always sound gimmicky to me.

TheBigBlueFrog

• Extern
    • Blue Frog Design Studios
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
The host mentions "The House of Fallen Leaves" in the intro as an example of typography in support of story, but I think maybe he means Mark Danielewski's "House of Leaves."

Can someone confirm this?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
As the host, yes I can in fact confirm that:) Factual error on my part, apologies for any confusion.

TheBigBlueFrog

• Extern
    • Blue Frog Design Studios
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
No problem. I knew exactly what you were talking about. I've been trying to convince a few friends to read "House of Leaves" so I will have someone to discuss it with. It's such a creepy book. I felt squeamish even reading it in the bright sunlight outside. I decoded all of the letters from the mother, and they are horrifying. Finally got a copy of the full-color hardback edition, which was fiction itself for so long. Can't find anyone willing to do the work necessary to read it — by which I mean following EVERY SINGLE footnote to its finish before getting back to the story.

I want to write an RPG scenario for Pathfinder based on the house.

PrimerofinTheSequel

• Extern
  • I kill therefore I am [human]
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »
I loved this.
Fully understand why many people didn't.
I like the weird.
This was.
Hypnotized me.
Got out my gloves.
Red rubber gloves.

PrimerofinTheSequel

• Extern
  • I kill therefore I am [human]
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
...  I am a rather slow reader--I haven't tried any speed reading stuff, but they always sound gimmicky to me.

I took a speed reading class the summer before I started college - thought it'd give an edge.
It actually works. Could fly through a book and pass a comprehension test just fine.

But....

It converts reading from a pleasure activity into work.
Must really focus like a laser scanning the pages.
This took away the best part of reading - allowing your mind to wander as inspired by the text or the girl next to you.

So I abandoned the speed reading. And pursued the girl next to me.

Every so often I shift into speed reading mode more as a skimming tool to find a specific phrase or part of the book I'm interested in.

More often I shift into the girl next to me.

TimWB

• Palmer
  • Author "The Flesh Sutra", 2015 Stoker Prelim Nom
    • To Smother In Orderr To Sell The Body To Science
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »
The repetition gives a great feeling for the protagonist's physical (and perhaps mental) limitations. It seemed a cross between Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley) and the surreal Thomas Liggotti.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
I was quite impressed by the way the transition of time was deftly presented. It also helped to focus that this was the same scene at a different time. I loved this story, but Rear Window is also my fave Hitchcock film by a comfortable margin.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”