Author Topic: EP392: Aftermaths  (Read 12272 times)

Russ Jenkins

• Extern
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:14 PM
I've been moved to enter the forum for the first time after years of listening (as someone else said too).
I loved this story, it kept tripping me up. I kept thinking "Oh yes this is a predictable story of the caring doctor winning over the cynical captain. NO wait it's a predicatable story of a seemingly caring doctor being secretly crazy. NO wait its..." and so on.
It ended up being quite moving and very memorable, and not so predictable after all.

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 10:42:13 PM
Long time LMB fan.  I read this short story (which appears at the end of Shards of Honor) several times already.  It's a stand-alone because none of the characters reappear. I was happy to listen to it again.  Enjoyed it even if it was not new to me.

I'm pretty sure that "Barrayar" and  "Barrayarian" were the only misprounounciations.  Long ago I had several of the Vorkosigan books on tape (possibly even this story), but since cassette tapes have gone the way of the dinosaur I got rid of them several years ago and haven't listened lately.

My friend spent a couple of weeks at the start of OEF/OIF preparing bodies and uniforms for burial.  It's psychologically traumatic work.  At least several of her co-workers of the time ended up with some PTSD symptoms with seeing bodies, wounds and trying to make the soldiers look like they had when alive for the families.  I think this story captures their experience.

luka datas

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 12:10:35 PM
not sure about the conclusion. I don't know if morticians are necessarily deeper of more noble than anyone else. Also. claiming that great people embrace pain is a little misleading.
great people do GREAT things.
I hope that the author has chosen this morbid topic for the sole purpose of selling a story too, because the only people I know who dwell on death and linger on it to the extent that this story does are manic depressives.
Manic depression is pretty rife nowadays so I'm not being critical of people with bipolar syndrome or such like... just pointing out a common trait.

Or was it an anti-war story?
if it was it lost a lot of it's effect by glamourising the cosmetician's terrible lot, in it's conclusion, for me.
Well read and written though. 3 and a half stars.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:22:07 PM by luka datas »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 03:14:18 PM
This story was very well written, very emotional.  I liked it.  While I found the medic weird, I do not mean that in a derogatory way.  I would like to have her as a friend, both because compassion is an important trait to have around you, and because it's good to have someone with such an attitude toward life and death so that even if you can't adopt their attitude you can at least be reminded of it.

Her treatment of the dead reminded me a great deal of the events in the TV series Six Feet Under.  Before I watched that series, I thought it was weird that anyone ever wanted to watch that series at all.  But what I found the most remarkable about it was the respect the morticians treat toward the dead, and each of their emotional reactions to death at different stages in their lives.  It's a situation that's hard to understand from the outside, because it's a rare profession where you must do the best to fulfill your customers wishes but at the time that you fulfill their wishes they are not able to tell you what they want. 

I first came across LMB a few years ago when I heard she was doing a reading at a local library--she lives in the Twin Cities MN area here.  She read something from what was at that time the upcoming Vorkosigan novel.  It was good enough, and she reads well.  For an excuse to say hi to her I bought one of the novels on the rack and had her sign it.  One of the questions in the Q&A session had been which novel one should start with in the series.  Her answer was that there is no particular one novel, they aren't all written in chronological order and generally you can pick up any one as the first.  But that if you wanted to start chronologically in Miles's life, "Young Miles" is the one to go with.  So I bought that one, and slogged through about 100 pages before giving up at the plot that seemed more about random events and luck than any actual character or plot, and I just wasn't interested.  I'm not saying I'll never try another Vorkosigan, but I wasn't impressed with that one, and my reading shelf is overfilled enough that I'm not likely to pick one up any time soon.

I hope that the author has chosen this morbid topic for the sole purpose of selling a story too, because the only people I know who dwell on death and linger on it to the extent that this story does are manic depressives.

I don't find that to be the case at all.  Most people I know try to avoid thinking about death entirely, not sure if that's a trait of American society in general or age group, or what.  But I've known quite a few people who are on comfortable terms with death, not that they are indifferent to it but that they can accept it more readily than others.  Often this is because they are in an occupation that goes hand in hand with death (such as an emergency room staff member or an active military member) or because that person has reasons to not expect to live much longer (terminal cancer patients or the very elderly).  On the contrary to what you said, I've found these people's mental state to be more stable than people who try to avoid thinking about death entirely, and it's very refreshing to me to hear those people talk about death as just something that is going to happen rather than a terror-inducing event that we should live in constant anxiety about.  We are all going to die someday, if you can come to terms with that early on you can live a happier life, I believe.  I think that's why there are so many movies and other stories about terminal cancer patients living their last years/months to the fullest.

EP392: Aftermaths

By Lois McMaster Bujold

Read by Mat Weller

---

Link to online version of story
---

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

When someone has a chance, can they put an excerpt in that first post?  I find it very hand when visiting the forums so I can remind myself what the story was about before diving into comments.

l33tminion

• Palmer
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 06:00:22 PM
the pilot-narrator that psyque had a hard time understanding... [...] We may reasonably expect to find him hard to understand, but since he actually wasn't the protagonist that's not a problem. As a foil to the medic's attitudes, an observer through whom we see her, he worked well. That said, he was a tiny bit quick to leap to the "lesbian necrophiliac" assumption.

I think it was set up pretty well that the nature of the job (and the calm of the medic) was getting to the pilot a bit.  The conclusion he jumps to is crazy, but it didn't seem out of character for him to panic a bit at that moment.  Once he takes a moment to calm down, he comes to the correct conclusion on his own.

PotatoKnight

• Palmer
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 01:15:38 PM
Oh man, this story. 

In the late 90s I entered Jr. High. I read constantly and loved SF media-Star Trek DS9, the (then-current) Outer Limits, Star Wars. I'd read some Asimov and such when I was younger but hadn't really been exposed to literary SF, my SF reading largely limited to tie-in novels. 

We had a reading class that year in addition to our English class. Many of the class periods were spent in silent sustained reading and a big part of the grade was just number of pages read and logged during the quarter.  There was some analysis and such taught but the class was more about getting folks to read than much of the critical thinking that drives a lit class.  Given tha reading was my recreational activity of choice anyway, this was a pretty good deal (the page requirements were something like 750 for the first quarter, 1000 for the other two. I easily cleared 10k on the year.)

My reading teacher recognized my enthusiasm and (albeit unsophisticated) SF interests. He brought in a bag of books from his own collection of paperbacks and had me pick one. SF to me still kinda meant spaceships and laserguns and I was drawn to one with an odd-looking ship giving off what looked like lightning. It was Shards of Honor, the book that has this story as a coda. 

I can't link the cover since this is my first post but...well, you should google it. It's a bit...embarrassing. But something about it clicked, and I'm glad it did. 

I loved the book and I suppose that makes sense since the first section is essentially Star Trek fanfiction with the serial numbers filed off (a female Federation captain and a male Klingon captain facing a mutiny get stuck on a planet together and fall in love.) But this story had something compelling beyond the space battle and political machinations, it had absolutely compelling characters. I became a member of the Bujold fan listerv (on which I--I'm sure unconvincingly-- pretended to be a 20-something librarian with a cat in Portland instead of a 14-year old student in Boise, which as a 20-something lawyer with a cat in Seattle I retroactively find hilarious)

I barely noted this little story at the end at the time. It is narratively irrelevant--I don't believe any of the characters have any connection to the main plot (possibly one of the corpses appears alive? I don't think so.) But I was hooked overall and devoured whatever else of the series I could put my hands on over the next few years. I still appreciated them mostly as pew pew stories with characters I loved deeply. 

I reread them a couple of years back and I would argue this story, a seeming afterthought, is more important to the series than anything that happens in the rest of the book--thematically, if not narratively. These books LOOK like they are about space battles and mysteries and romances. They look like the kind of books that the pilot narrator wanted to be a character in (notice his disapointment at missing the war) And yeah, they exist on that level--some more than others. I think the pilot represents Bujold's readers--I suspect at least initially predominantly male audiences drawn to military SF. The other character serves to pull both him and the reader toward the real theme of the series: motherhood. In all its miriad SF forms. 

This theme is stronger in some parts of the series than others but it pops up constantly. Ethan of Athos concerns a man from an all-male world picking up key new gene lines. He's surprised to find that just anybody can have a baby other places--what about all the labor costs? The woman accompanying him bemusedly states that that is treated as "women's work" and never makes it onto accounting ledgers. The Cetagandan Empire is the boogeyman in many of the early stories and is apparently your classic expansionist bad guy empire. In Cetaganda, we learn that the empire essentially exists to protect and serve an ongoing genetic heritage managed by women. Managing a genetic heritage is really another way of saying motherhood. Bioengineering runs throughout the series, and the most important piece of tech in story after story is the Uterine Replicator-- a technological mother. 

And then there are stories like this one. Stories--often wrenching ones, to my adult eyes--about the actual experiences of mothers. As others have mentioned on this thread the question of where to begin with Buiold is a tricky one. The later books are unquestionably better-written, but part of the joy of the series is watching the history unfold, and later books do call back to events in earlier ones. If you like this story, though, I recommend the novella The Mountains of Mourning. I believe it was available online at one point, not sure if it is now. It was reprinted with a frame narration in Borders of Infinity. I also highly recommend Barrayar and Komarr. Both have mothers in very difficult situations as narrators and both went way up in my estimation when I read them as an adult. 

A big thank you to EP for doing this story and helping me re-experience and deepen my appreciation. 

hardware

• Matross
Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 12:46:41 PM
Like most people here, I really enjoyed this story as a little meditation on death and dignity. Also, I agreee with the one who kind of suggested that the twist with the daughter wasn't actually necessary, and almost detracted from the strength on it. But only almost.