Escape Artists
October 19, 2018, 12:00:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Less active  (Read 12626 times)
DDog
Matross

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »

I listen to PP before EP on my ipod, I comment on these forums more frequently- I'm generally more engaged in PP all together than EP.
I listen to PP before EP generally because EP will usually calm me down from whatever PP's latest horror is. I started doing this after "Tenant's Right" left me shaking and nauseated for hours and I had already listened to the EP for that week.

I confess I joined the forums because I liked the episode comments segment on EP (and it seemed like Mr. Tweedy was always the one getting featured). The segment alerted me to the existence of a forum, and once I was on the forum, I realized that there was also a Pseudopod to consume and started listening to PP as well.

Maybe Alisdair could at least mention the forums during his donations spiel?

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute
Thaurismunths
High Priest of TCoRN
Hipparch

Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »

I hate to say it, but I disagree with both of you.

I think Steve covering the story comments is nice, but doesn't really add to the community. Healthy and active discussions happened before he started the weekly reviews.

I think that's sort of besides the point people are making.
You are right. My points were tangent to the actual topic and that was not my intent.

The claim isn't that Steve's weekly feedback review is necessary for active discussion, the claim is that it encourages more people to post than otherwise. Which I'm pretty sure is a fact, since I'm one of those people. These days, I post discussion for its own sake, but I doubt I would have joined the forum if it weren't for Steve's feedback reviews. And I know I'm not the only one based on other people mentioning the same background.
So, unless you can show that there is an equal or greater population that is turned off by Steve's feedback reviews, I think it's a plain fact that the reviews, while not creating discussion, do have a serious contribution to how many people participate.

That's true, but the fact that it has become an institution and Steve seems to have a sense of obligation to include it does not mean that it does not bring in more people. In fact, I'd say that Steve probably keeps on doing it on a regular basis specifically because he believes it contributes to the discussion, whether or not he feels like doing it in any particular week.
I think that mentioning interesting or poignant goings ons from the EP Forums gives people a feeling of community. Having to dig for something interesting from the episode comments every week can get a little dry and mundane because not every story is going to stir up interesting commentary. It also stops being special. It also can cause thread bloat.
Thread bloat is what Russell was talking about: Commenting for the sake of being quoted. Steve's been including (more or less) the best and worst comments of the week and I think since he's started that we've been getting more, and more strongly worded, criticism of the presented works. There have been stories in the past that rankled me, and I have said as much, so I'm very hesitant to say that others haven't been affected to the same degree, but I think we're seeing more posters who are being unkind in hopes of getting air time. It's much easier to write a scathing review than glowing praise.
Also, this being a horror podcast, it seems a little weird to promote feelings of fear and dread while cultivating a warm and fuzzy forum community.

Maybe in the future there could be a "PseudoPod Lite" feed, similar to EP Classic, where only the pg-13 rated PP stories are rerun.
That is a brilliant idea.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?
Russell Nash
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »

Steve's been including (more or less) the best and worst comments of the week and I think since he's started that we've been getting more, and more strongly worded, criticism of the presented works. There have been stories in the past that rankled me, and I have said as much, so I'm very hesitant to say that others haven't been affected to the same degree, but I think we're seeing more posters who are being unkind in hopes of getting air time. It's much easier to write a scathing review than glowing praise.

I think he nails the point here.  There are a couple of people who write long reviews specifically worded to be quotable. 
eytanz

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

Steve's been including (more or less) the best and worst comments of the week and I think since he's started that we've been getting more, and more strongly worded, criticism of the presented works. There have been stories in the past that rankled me, and I have said as much, so I'm very hesitant to say that others haven't been affected to the same degree, but I think we're seeing more posters who are being unkind in hopes of getting air time. It's much easier to write a scathing review than glowing praise.

I think he nails the point here.  There are a couple of people who write long reviews specifically worded to be quotable. 

Yeah, I've seen that happen myself, but I do believe that the benefits of Steve's feedback reviews far outweigh the annoying side-effects. Though if Steve were to stop quoting individual posts except in special cases and only summarize the overall sentiments that would perhaps achieve the same benefit without having a negative effect on the discussion.

And - in the context of Psuedopod, I think we have an opposite extreme - I don't even remember the last time either Ben or Alasdair mentioned the forum (Mur used to bring it up occasionally, I think), let alone address anything anyone said. Which isn't a complaint - I really enjoy both Alasdair and Ben's commentary - but if they want to increase traffic here, then it's a non-optimal strategy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:12:20 AM by eytanz » Logged
Russell Nash
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 02:55:42 AM »

Eytanz is right.  Any chance to mention the forums should be taken.  Mur mentioned the tag line discussion and we got a couple new people out of that alone.

I think we're all pretty much coming to the same conclusion from different angles.  Mentioning the feedback as good negative or eh, Quoting any particularly good or insightful comments, Mentioning any deeper discussions started by the episode; but always using it judiciously and with restraint.
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 09:53:26 PM »

Heck, I hardly noticed that I had wandered into the PP section of the forums, at first. 

I was just commenting to what I thought was a "normal" EP thread, and the next thing I knew, there was this strange, cold sensation on my neck, and then I started sweating.  My heart pounded in 5/4 time, and I began chanting long, hyphenated names without vowels.  The hairs on my arms turned green, and started sprouting leaves, my eyes began emitting orange lightning, and burning backwards letters into flat surfaces... and then...

Oh, wait... that was just the time I tried wasabi.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: