Escape Artists
May 20, 2019, 10:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Podcastle Flash Fiction contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC 258: The Discriminating Monster's Guide to the Perils of Princess Snatching  (Read 10413 times)
Scott R
Palmer

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 08:10:16 AM »

This story troubled me...

Art should disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturb.

However, I suspect you mean "trouble" in a completely different way.  Smiley

In the end, Greta's pronouncements proved to be spot-on: Mercedes turned out to be the one to save them from the debt they owed to Golgorath; she also proved to be the one that split their family.  Dangerous, indeed.  

It seemed like we were moving toward Greta finally leaving Vren with the little one, possibly "for his own good," rather than Greta et al being the "perfect life" bait that is withheld from him.

Having Greta and Vren willingly split up never occurred to me.  In terms of their characters, it just doesn't jive with how I picture them.  

Thanks for your comments, Scattercat-- it sounds like you have a lot of questions about what motivates my princess.  Smiley  That's a tale I'm eager to write.  
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »

I enjoyed this one, in great part due to the perfect choice of reader.  I thought the story did a good job of making Vren simultaneously a monster and a sympathetic character.  I guessed pretty early on that the destiny of Mercedes was to take down Golgorath, it just made the most sense, but the story was interesting enough that I didn't really mind that. 

I thought the concept of destiny-eating monsters was interesting and fun and novel.  A destiny has to have a lot of potential energy within it, like a bound spring that can launch an everyday person into world-changing altitudes, so it totally makes sense that something would've evolved that could live from that potential energy converted.  You leach away the tension so that they are nothing but an everyday person and you use that energy for something else instead.

I don't disagree with those who said it felt like three stories, but each of them was interesting enough and tied together enough that this didn't bother me.  I listened to most of them during my first burger-grilling of the summer season, so that likely improved my mood.  Smiley

The only thing that I didn't like was the title.  Not for the reason, exactly, that others have stated.  Rather than disliking it for its light tone, I didn't like it because it's inaccurate.  The story is not a guide of any sort, let alone a guide to the perils of princess snatching.  If you give a story a title that implies a particular format (a guide, a dictionary, a blog entry, a journal, a scientific paper, etc) then iI want it to match the format that's promised.
Scott R
Palmer

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »

David. Agreed about the title (again, *wince*).

In the first draft, each section of the story had a little piece of princess hunting wisdom as a section header. I removed them because the guide was supposed to be written for Zash-- but Vren's motives changed in subsequent drafts, and he no longer wanted his kids hunting humans for a living. Also, I'm afraid the bits weren't quite as clever as I imagined them being.

There is really no excuse for the title. (I happen to LOVE the title itself, even though I know it's not right for the majority of the story).

Sometimes we love broken things.  :-)
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »

In the first draft, each section of the story had a little piece of princess hunting wisdom as a section header. I removed them because the guide was supposed to be written for Zash-- but Vren's motives changed in subsequent drafts, and he no longer wanted his kids hunting humans for a living. Also, I'm afraid the bits weren't quite as clever as I imagined them being.

Ah!  That totally makes sense.

(I happen to LOVE the title itself, even though I know it's not right for the majority of the story).

Oh, I love the title too, actually.  And I love the story.  But I don't love them together because the title writes a check that the story can't cash.  Smiley

I'm glad you stopped by, by the way, it's always fun when one of the authors stops in.  Doubly so when I know the person from elsewhere (such as Codex).
Scott R
Palmer

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »

I was pretty nervous. This is the first time I've had true-to-life public people chatting about one of my stories. (Workshops don't count.)  most if my stuff hits the public and the only folks that say something are the reviewers.

Everyone knows critics aren't REAL people. ;-)

But this has been lots of fun. I'll have to try it again.

On that note, I've got a short story appearing in Pseudopod in June sometime. 'The End-of-the-World Pool' is about two cousins who find a disturbing presence at the bottom of a murky swimming pool.

And this time, I promise-- it is appropriately titled.
Mav.Weirdo
Palmer

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »

I enjoyed this story. The epilogue made me thing of episode 254 "Sundae".
LaShawn
Lochage

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

This reminded me a lot of Bone the grahic novel. Really enjoyed iT.

I did find myself very sympathetic to Vren. Mercedes never really warmed up to Vren, so yes, I wasn't surprised by the ending. It did feel that he exchanged one monster master for another. But after reading the author's comments, I can see Mercedes's actions as giving Vren a second chance. Mercedes is a brat, but a good brat. I would love to see a story of her as a Queen.

And, Dave! Welcome back! And what a great treat to come back to.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Scott R
Palmer

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »

Glad you liked it. Mercedes' story will be told someday-- soon as I finish a couple other projects. I'm calling it Trickster Queen for now.
Talia

Muahahahaha

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »

I enjoyed this one a lot. I, too, was a bit upset by Mercedes' treatment of Vren at the end, until I considered all the lives he had previously helped destroy. Hundreds? Thousands? Sympathetic or not, he's a mass murderer (changing a person completely is basically the same as killing the previous person, IMHO). So I think he got what he deserves. He'll have the chance to do some good for the world for his freedom, to balance out all the bad he did for the exact same reason.
psyque
Extern

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

I am ready for a sequel at any time now

How about a series of novels?  Smiley

Take my money, please!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: