Author Topic: EP394: Good Hunting  (Read 21072 times)

James1123

• Extern
Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 04:05:46 PM
This is my first stab at this. My first time on the forum. Awesome stuff here, great responses. It's as though there are thinkers out there, in the vast world. And they have come here to chat about the shaded angles we keep out of view of the world. No idea what that meant. Oops...

huntsoda

• Extern
Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 03:41:48 AM
Just wanted to add my two cents that I really enjoyed this story. A bit brighter than some other recent stories (Robot, Cerba un Vitra ujo), with an optimistic ending for some fairly tragic characters. The hulijing becomes a prostitute, and then a robot, and the demon hunter becomes an exploited engineer. Still the end of the story promises brighter futures. I do agree the racism was very stereotypically portrayed, but I feel this helped set up the plot for the latter sections, explaining some of the privilege and abuse the characters faced. I really was able to fall into the rhythm of the story, and was always surprised when the music didn't kick into wrap up, although I think the ending is a very good one.
So unlike some, I liked it.
-Hunter

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:37 PM
Well, the story overall didn't grab me as much as it did other people. But I really appreciated the way the world, characters, and everything in general changed drastically over the course of the story, yet still made sense. That was pretty masterfully done.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:52 AM
Good Idea: Steampunk
Bad Idea: Steampunk Transformers.
Steam train Optimus and I disagree.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 01:50:31 PM
I was bored with this one pretty early on.  It did seem to just have a stock setting and stock characters who I didn't care about.  But then I stopped being bored when the world progressed into engineering age and the demon changed with it.  Honestly I still didn't care about the characters but the world and the change was interesting enough that I was content.  A neat idea to have a story about a demon changing with tech changes.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:51 PM
Gorgeous story. Had me riveted (no pun intended) to the very end. And yes, this took me in a direction I wasn't expecting. Which is awesome, because I've been trying to write my own story about an alternate steampunk Chicago, and I've been stumped on how to do it. Ken's story showed me how it can happen.

As for the racism, well, Ken could have included a sympathetic white character, but that wasn't what the story was about. It was about a losing one's culture and adapting to fit the new culture, and I think the racism formed the characters as much as the introduction of technology. What I did find interesting was the changing of the main character from demon hunter to befriending the demon, which was a change of heart in itself.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

hardware

• Matross
Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 02:31:05 PM
Well, I guess it's been said, but this was a great story. The way it effortlessly takes us from a mythological past, brushes historical fiction and then progresses into a mythological future is pretty masterful. Liu is without doubt one of the most reliably excellent SF voices right now.

CoonSkin

• Extern
Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:45 AM
I was watching an episode of Love, Death, and Robots and I was thinking "I know this story". When the credits came up, there was Ken Liu's name. Then I knew where I knew the story from.

Good work. I'm glad to see stories like this getting a bit higher profile.

I'm listening to podcasts while driving for work so I don't often think about commenting anywhere so I'd like to say thank you to the authors, narrators, and the Escape Artists team for all their great work.

divs

Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 06:53:34 PM
Thanks for your feedback and listenership!