Author Topic: Best story of Escape Pod 2012 poll  (Read 8062 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: May 23, 2013, 09:50:20 PM
Okay, I'm stepping in for the swamped Eytanz and getting the best of EP poll up.

There were 22 episodes nominated, but only 7 that got more than one nod.  So those seven are in the poll.  There's no groups, since it's a small-ish number, and because 2013 would be half over before we finished otherwise.

Links go to the story's EP page, so feel free to give them another listen and refresh your memory.

You can vote for 2, but remember that your vote may count for more if you just vote for one.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:49:26 AM
Yaay!  Thanks, Ocicat!

flintknapper

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:04 PM
I honestly need 7 votes for this poll! hehe...

Well at least three, doing two votes hardly seems fair. I got it narrowed down to Hawksbill, Springtime, and Run. Since I think Run will win, I am going to vote for the other two. Both really immersed me in their setting. I know some people really had issues with the plausability of Hawksbill. A similar arguement could be made against springtime but hard science in science fiction isnt really my thing. I am ready to suspend belief and go where the writer is leading me.

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:04:47 PM
This was an easy vote for me. "Run" is by far my favorite EP episode ever and one of my favorite short stories of all time. Vote number two went to Hawksbill Station. I absolutely loved the immersion of the story, it really pulls you in and lets you get comfortable. The other contenders are great stories as well, but these two stand above the rest IMHO.

And congrats to Ferrett Steinmetz for having two stories in the running,  ;)

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:34:28 PM
I don't find this one difficult, I think Devour was by far the best of this list, it left me with a nice heavy spot in the gut to ponder for days. I appreciate people choosing Run Bakri Run, but I felt the repitition quickly got on my nerves, and while I think it was supposed to do that, it still hurt the story for me at least. Wonderful to get both of those in though!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 03:21:35 PM
Voting closes Saturday afternoon - vote now if you haven't!

Stormbringer

• Extern
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
Thanks to Ocicat.

Two votes for Devour, easily the story that hit me hardest in 2012: excellent mix of raw emotion, protest politics, technoterror, and redemption, even for Patient Zero, perhaps the greatest victim in the mess.

Wish I had seen the topic sooner, or had time to see the topic sooner, as I would have had the honor of nominating Asteroid Monte and The Trojan Girl!

Total newbie, so please slap me if you don't vote on polls by posting...I clicked on everything I could see with no luck.  Thanks.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:26:23 PM
I don't think you're allowed to vote in polls if you've never posted - a change that was made when the best podcastle of 2013 poll was mentioned in an author's blog, and a bunch of folks who weren't part of the community came to vote in it.

No worries for you though!  You got here through being an EP listener, and now you've posted, so try again.  But I'm afraid that though you can vote twice, they have to be for different stories.  Devour was awesome though.  :)

eytanz

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:17:54 PM
The reason the change was introduced was because 0-post accounts get deleted within a day or so if they don't post (because otherwise we get flooded by bots), and we had a problem where someone created an account, voted in a poll but never posted, their account got deleted, so they created a new account and voted again, not realizing their first vote counted.

But yup, now that you've posted, you can vote in any contest you want and your account will never be deleted by our anti-spam measures.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:07 AM
Congratulations to Ferrett Steinmetz for his story “Run,” Bakri Says - the best story on Escape Pod in 2012! 

(to the surprise of very few, I imagine)