Author Topic: EP398: Subversion  (Read 14290 times)

JDoug

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 07:55:08 PM
Upon re-syncing, it seems that 82.7% of my personality enjoyed this story.

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:01 PM
Non-techy listener here, popping in to say I understood this story! There very well may have been things that went over my head, but it didn't effect my enjoyment at all.

On that, I did quite enjoy this story. I thought the situation was well described, and the pacing was well thought out. The information was doled out in just enough chunks that I, non-tech that I am, didn't have to work too hard to keep up, yet I didn't feel talked down to. The plot was simple, but I liked it. Not anything ground breaking, but a very solid piece that was a nice fresh breath of air while I was filing at the office.

The narrator was amazing. She did a good job switching between the two Eduardo's, making them sound different, but still derivative of one another. Very pleased.

A thought. Perhaps the original Eduardo is not really that bad of a guy. I actually felt bad for him. This is my reasoning. He sacrificed pieces of himself for his girl. Literally. The wording on Art's paperwork was "anything to make her happy." That's not the words of a man who doesn't love his lady. Not saying that what he did was right or that he didn't deserve what happened, but he didn't have to. I think, in his flawed way, he just didn't want his loved one to be lonely. I mean, he even made a version of himself to play with his cats all day. That's not the actions of a selfish guy. Just one with wrong priorities.

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:28 PM
Upon re-syncing, it seems that 82.7% of my personality enjoyed this story.

Ha!  :D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:08 PM
I mean, he even made a version of himself to play with his cats all day.

Oh!  I forgot to comment on that line.  hilarious that he dedicates an entire carnation to interacting with his cat via laser pointer.

l33tminion

• Palmer
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 05:47:53 PM
This one was a lot of fun!  Nothing too complicated in the plot itself, but the setting has a lot of depth, and that interacts with the story in an interesting way.

I'm glad this one was neither a dystopian setting nor outright satire.  It was a nice change of pace.

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 11:36:08 PM

Oh!  I forgot to comment on that line.  hilarious that he dedicates an entire carnation to interacting with his cat via laser pointer.

That's the subversion I want to be. Surrounded by kitties and being the expert on laser technologies. It's like the best existence I can think of.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 01:41:39 PM

That's the subversion I want to be. Surrounded by kitties and being the expert on laser technologies. It's like the best existence I can think of.

I love it.  Maybe that will be your heaven after this life!

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 06:38:12 PM
Just in case anybody was wondering, a new version of Subversion was released by Apache today.
A key feature is automatic reintegration which will solve a lot of problems.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 06:53:38 PM
Just in case anybody was wondering, a new version of Subversion was released by Apache today.
A key feature is automatic reintegration which will solve a lot of problems.

Wow!  If it works as advertised, that's really cool.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 02:11:07 AM
I really enjoyed this one! I thought it struck just the right tone of weary-but-not-cynical bureaucrat dealing with a truly interesting case of disputing subversions.

I said that Dead Merchandise was terrifyingly plausible; I'll say it again for this story. I'm curious what it would be like to have allocated my fine motor skills or knowledge of the arts to a subversion, but I'm horrified at the thought of interacting with subversions of people who have only those limited skill sets. I'll take 100% of the people around me, please.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 08:03:32 PM
I think the thing that really got me hung up on was the physicality of it. How do these various versions manifest themselves? Are we talking VR? Androids? Real physical bodies? Holograms? There's a hint that it's the last when our narrator mentions that her boss has a shimmer, indicating that it's holographic.

This occurred to me as well, and my brain decided to reconcile it by putting this world post-singularity, in a completely digitalized world.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

CaptNink

• Extern
Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 04:57:47 PM
First post!

I liked it, but didn't love it. While I was listening, I was glad that I had some experience with software development and "version control"--I think someone who doesn't might have a tough time wrapping their head around this story.

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 06:45:18 PM
First post!
Welcome to the forums!

And now to immediately contradict your first post,  ;)

I liked it, but didn't love it. While I was listening, I was glad that I had some experience with software development and "version control"--I think someone who doesn't might have a tough time wrapping their head around this story.

I'm not a software developer (tried Visual Basic once but learned very quickly that I don't have the patience for debugging) but I had no problem following this story. I mention this because you are not the first one to suggest those of us not in the "know" might not get it. But I think it's a credit to the author that despite being programming naive, I still followed along just fine.

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 04:08:40 AM
Catching up on summer backlog...

I enjoyed this story, and can really understand the appeal of versions. But I don't think that I would personally go for it. I just don't like to miss out on things. If I felt that I had missed out on an experience (after-the-fact memories just aren't the same) because I sent a version instead, well, that wouldn't sit well with me. Also, I like to commit 100% to whatever I am doing, so having some percentage of me off doing something else would also be psychologically difficult for me. But, I am certain I am not the norm in this....

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 10:42:24 PM
Yeah, I'm behind.  So sue me.  Just wanted to say that I loved this story.  Like crazy.  On the title alone, I thought to myself, "This story will be really great if it's about version control instead of about undermining political structures.  But what's the likelihood of that?"

Apparently it's my lucky day, because the likelihood was 100 percent.

Yay!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 03:19:37 PM
Apparently it's my lucky day, because the likelihood was 100 percent.

I don't think that's the case. Likelihood and probability are estimates, given incomplete information, about the outcome.  100% is the likelihood in retrospect that the thing which has happened is a thing which has happened.  But the likelihood at the time given your incomplete information (since you hadn't listened to the story) isn't that.  :)
</pedanticgeek>

hardware

• Matross
Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 09:56:54 AM
Great story, even a Perforce user as myself could follow it and enjoy it. I guess versioning and the issues that come with it is an intuitive enough concept for non-techies to follow it, which makes me happy, since story definitely deserves to be read. We will expect greatness from an author who got off to this start (no pressure, though  ;)).