Author Topic: Reader Feedback?  (Read 5402 times)

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:30 PM
Just a quick question!

Why doesn't Pseudopod have reader feedback at the end of their episodes like Podcastle or Escape Pod? Not complaining or anything, just curious.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:27:47 PM
EP has only had it for 70 episodes or something. PP is their own show, they can format however they want.

(though I suspect it has something to do with Alasdair's long-windedness) :P

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:57:49 PM
Also available in HEY!:p

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:32 PM
For the record, I adore your long-windedness. I tease because I can't help myself.

and because it's true

. o O ( I'm having a bit of an Eddie Izard moment here...hard to do in text )

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:53:39 PM
Thanks to Alasdair, Pseudopod has always been more like those old hosted SF/horror movie television shows, where the frame is as much of a draw as the content.

eytanz

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 04:05:31 PM
EP has only had it for 70 episodes or something.

That's not true, EP has had episode feedback since it's second year or so. Though the format and presentation has changed under different hosts, and I think there was a gap around the first major editor transition for a few weeks.

But yeah, they're different shows, with different formats. PP has always had more of an emphasis on leaving you with final thoughts and reflection on the episode you just heard, and feedback would distract from that.

flintknapper

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:18:18 PM
you can still ramble on in the forums about the pseudopod episodes. I know I do. In fact I am on my way there now.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:28:01 PM
my answer is....

Because my head would explode....

(but, also, I do like to keep the time limit down as much as possible - he says during the week with the hour long story!)

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:56:53 PM
Semi-related issue...

I kicked around an idea recently about doing a 10-minute weekly recap show for each of the EP 'casts or for all of them collectively that would feature voicemail feedback from listeners with responses from the editors or other appropriate staff members, plus EA news when appropriate and news of events and other items that may be of interest to the various audiences.

The problem is that such a thing would rely heavily on voicemail feedback and I know that can be a tricky thing to generate much less rely on. You'd almost need to proactively solicit it from audience members, and I'm not sure how practical that would be.

I mention it because it could be a way to remove that element from the shows that do it, thereby leaving them to focus on the story and the framing of it while also allowing us to address the thoughts of the audience more personally and more fully to the much larger body of the audience that does not use the forums.

Just a thought.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 06:58:16 PM
In the area of long-long-long term plans, there may be a place created for such a feature...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:46:36 PM
We can always move the feedback segments to their own little cupboard, if my presence embarrasses everyone so badly.   ::)

:-P :-D

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 03:50:23 PM
I think the whole topic here is MORE feedback, not less. Maybe we just need to make you read EVERY comment in every episode thread...

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 03:57:31 PM
IN DIFFERENT VOICES!

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 07:24:32 PM
IN DIFFERENT VOICES!

I'd subscribe to that podcast in like 0.5 seconds.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:10:29 AM

I think the whole topic here is MORE feedback, not less. Maybe we just need to make you read EVERY comment in every episode thread...

And think of what we would post just so you would have to read it out. I bet we could mess you up with some mad alliterative feedback responses.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”