Author Topic: PC262: The Dragonslayer of Merebarton  (Read 11948 times)

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:46 PM
I enjoyed this story quite a bit. I liked the setting and how it was revealed, and the way the narrator talked and how what he said showed us about him as a character. I also thought the reader was a great fit for the character, one of the few stories which I think I probably enjoyed more in audio form than I would have just reading it.

--
chuk

Balu

Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 08:22:27 PM
I thought this story was hilarious. Maybe the humour is understated? I like protagonists who just happen to be reluctant and bitter curmudgeons. Plus the bit about our unheroic saviour correctly planting his boar spear was priceless. It also would have been too conventional had the dying dragon not flopped over and smooshed the poor guy. This story really played to the irreverent cynic in me, and that might be the reason I enjoyed so much. Thank you Podcastle! And kudos to the author.

Me too! That combination of bone dry humour and world weary cynicism worked so well.

Apart from that, it was a great deconstruction of the Knight v Dragon story. Loved the way he started with a gin trap :)

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:29 PM
Most of this story washed over me, so I wasn't paying much attention to it. What kept me from fast forwarding was the narrator's dry tone, which made me think of John Cleese from Monty Python's Flying Circus. The image of him playing a world-weary knight was so spot on.

Other than that, the story didn't really stick with me.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 01:10:42 PM
I LOVED this story.
It had such a great feel to it. It was like sitting in a pub, hearing an "old timer" tell a tale from his past. I LOVED the way it would ramble off on an often amusing tangent then snap back. Very much the way a story IS told by one of your pals at the pub. It's deadpan point of view was a nice change of pace. Our main characture didn't see anything he did as "heroic" it was just something that logical must be done and there was no way to get out of doing it. He held "fixing the chamber pot" in the same light as "killing a dragon". Just take a deep breath and get on with what you have to do. Did I mention I loved this?

As for the narration ... SPOT ON. Mr. Foley's take on this story really connected with me. Bravo sir!