Author Topic: Pseudopod 359: Face Change  (Read 6993 times)

Jen

• Palmer
Re: Pseudopod 359: Face Change
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
I liked this one and I think it had the right amount of gross-out. I usually hate descriptions of bloody things, but the face-removing scene lasted just enough to make a point without making me sick to my stomach. I also felt the reading was spot-on, especially for the character of the salesman.

It's pretty cool to hear from the author, too - I had thought the ambiguity (devil or just a guy going insane) was intended!

gunsofchekhovia

• Peltast
  • Part of an imbalanced breakfast.
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
Jeff, man, what a story. I'm behind on Pseudopod so I just listened to this one this week. So much fun.

I go into horror stories generally not expecting anything in particular (at least that I'm aware of) so I read it "straight," as you say you wrote it. It was a lot of fun, really just perfect. Everyone's pretty much commented on every other aspect of the story, but one thing that strikes me as extra-funny is the supernatural medicine at play: when performing a home face transplant, it is important to slap that new face on the front of your skull before all your blood pours out. It was so ridiculous that it just had to work.

Good stuff. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

jhewitt

• Extern
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »
Thanks for the further kind words, everyone! I agree that I think the gore and squick was just right. My beta reader suggested I tone it down just a notch from the initial draft, and I think she was right.

IF anyone is interested I've got another horror story up over at Jersey Devil Press! It's a mythos-related short, but the mythos bit is very subtle and underplayed. No shuggoths or anything. They offer it directly on their website or you can download a free PDF, which is pretty cool.

http://www.jerseydevilpress.com/?page_id=5750

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

doctornemo

• Palmer
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »
A fine tale.  I enjoyed the way it combined symbolism with very concrete details, while driving a character far along his developmental arc.
Super reading, too.