Author Topic: 2007 Hugo Award Nominees  (Read 11558 times)

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
on: March 29, 2007, 11:02:53 AM
Off http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight via www.boingboing.net

Novel
Michael F. Flynn, Eifelheim (Tor)
Naomi Novik, His Majesty’s Dragon (Del Rey)
Charles Stross, Glasshouse (Ace)
Vernor Vinge, Rainbows End (Tor)
Peter Watts, Blindsight (Tor)

Novella
“The Walls of the Universe” by Paul Melko (Asimov’s, April/May 2006)
“A Billion Eyes” by Robert Reed (Asimov’s, October/November 2006)
“Inclination” by William Shunn (Asimov’s, April/May 2006)
“Lord Weary’s Empire” by Michael Swanwick (Asimov’s, December 2006)
Julian: A Christmas Story by Robert Charles Wilson (PS Publishing)

Novelette
“Yellow Card Man” by Paolo Bacigalupi (Asimov’s, December 2006)
“Dawn, and Sunset, and the Colours of the Earth” by Michael F. Flynn (Asimov’s, December 2006)
“The Djinn’s Wife” by Ian McDonald (Analog, July 2006)
“All the Things You Are” by Mike Resnick (Jim Baen’s Universe, October 2006)
“Pol Pot’s Beautiful Daughter” by Geoff Ryman (F&SF, October/November 2006)

Short Story
“How to Talk to Girls at Parties” by Neil Gaiman (Fragile Things)
“Kin” by Bruce McAllister (Asimov’s, February 2006)
“Impossible Dreams” by Timothy Pratt (Asimov’s, July 2006)
“Eight Episodes” by Robert Reed (Asimov’s, June 2006)
“The House Beyond Your Sky” by Benjamin Rosenbaum (Strange Horizons, September 2006)

Related Book
Samuel R. Delany, About Writing: Seven Essays, Four Letters, and Five Interviews (Wesleyan University Press)
Joseph T. Major, Heinlein’s Children: The Juveniles (Advent)
Julie Phillips, James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice Sheldon (St. Martin’s Press)
John Picacio, Cover Story: The Art of John Picacio (MonkeyBrain Books)
Mike Resnick & Joe Siclari, eds., Worldcon Guest of Honor Speeches (ISFiC Press)

Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
Children of Men (Universal Pictures)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (Disney)
The Prestige (Warner Brothers / Touchstone Pictures)
A Scanner Darkly (Warner Independent Pictures)
V for Vendetta (Warner Brothers)

Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

Battlestar Galactica, “Downloaded”
Doctor Who, “Army of Ghosts” and “Doomsday”
Doctor Who, “Girl in the Fireplace”
Doctor Who, “School Reunion”
Stargate SG-1, “200”

Editor, Short Form
Gardner Dozois
David G. Hartwell
Stanley Schmidt
Gordon Van Gelder
Sheila Williams

Editor, Long Form
Lou Anders
James Patrick Baen
Ginjer Buchanan
David G. Hartwell
Patrick Nielsen Hayden

Professional Artist
Bob Eggleton
Donato Giancola
Stephan Martiniere
John Jude Palencar
John Picacio

Semiprozine
Ansible, edited by Dave Langford
Interzone, edited by Andy Cox
Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet, edited by Gavin J. Grant
Locus, dited by Charles N. Brown, Kirsten Gong-Wong, & Liza Groen Trombi
The New York Review of Science Fiction, edited by Kathryn Cramer, David G. Hartwell, & Kevin J. Maroney

Fanzine
Banana Wings ed. Claire Brialey & Mark Plummer
Challenger ed. Guy Lillian III
The Drink Tank ed. Christopher J. Garcia
Plokta ed. Alison Scott, Steve Davies, & Mike Scott
Science-Fiction Five-Yearly ed. Lee Hoffman, Geri Sullivan, & Randy Byers

Fan Writer
Chris Garcia
John Hertz
Dave Langford
John Scalzi
Steven H. Silver

Fan Artist
Brad W. Foster
Teddy Harvia
Sue Mason
Steve Stiles
Frank Wu

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (not a Hugo)
Scott Lynch
Sarah Monette
Naomi Novik
Brandon Sanderson
Lawrence M. Schoen

Free Listens Audio Reviews: www.freelistens.blogspot.com

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:21:58 PM
Favorites? Worst nomination?

What was left out?  Heroes? Pan's Labyrinth?

And most importantly, will any of the short stories appear on Escape Pod?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 03:47:50 PM
   Nice to see Glasshouse in there.  It's a phenomenally smart book which nests about three different plots within one another. 
   Interesting to see Doctor Who compete against itself.  Army of Ghosts/Doomsday is good but Girl In The Fireplace should go over it.  It's certainly one of the best, and quite possibly the best episode of Who in the show's entire history and manages to marry the kind of big idea, broad stroke SF that Doctor Who does so well with a love story that, despite existing solely within the episode, is both sweet and genuinely affecting.  Plus, there's a moment in there that just sums the series up perfectly.  These lines:

'Do you know what monsters have nightmares about?'
'No.'
'ME!'

give me goosebumps every single time.

The interesting one, for me though, is the cinema award.  I've never seen a field of nominess so deserving of the win before with V For Vendetta, The Prestige and Children of Men all amazing pieces of cinema.  If I had to call it, I'd say that The Prestige deserves the win but I'd honestly be happy with anything else (With the exception of Scanner Darkly) picking up the win.

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 03:51:43 PM
I love The Girl in the Fireplace. My favourite bit has to be the horse (I won't say what happens as I don't know if it has aired across the pond yet) but there is a real wow moment.

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 03:56:20 PM
Arthur the horse!  I loved Arthur the horse.  Now an animal companion (The mighty Frobisher) not withstanding would be great, especially as, according to the books there's a large patch of (I think) Wimbledon Common complete with blue sky and sun somewhere in the Tardis...

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 11:16:35 PM
SF Signal has links to free online versions of many of the short stories, novellas, and novelettes.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:06:33 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (Disney)

???

For a hugo award? 

???

worst nomination ever.   >:(

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:24:14 PM
Actually, it's not nominated. When the nominations were first released, Pirates was on the list.  However, there was some kind of error in the nomination process and Pan's Labyrinth was the actual nominee, not Pirates. The updated list is at the WorldCon Site:

http://www.nippon2007.us/hugo_nominees.php

Does anybody have the full story about this?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:12:33 PM
Actually, it's not nominated. When the nominations were first released, Pirates was on the list.  However, there was some kind of error in the nomination process and Pan's Labyrinth was the actual nominee, not Pirates.

Which makes a hell of a lot more sense.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 07:26:13 PM
Someone on the nominating committee has a Who fetish (though it was nice to see 200 on there).

What was the cut-off date for something to be aired to be eligible? Most of Heros has been this year, and the ones that did air last year weren't really in the hitting-it's-stride category.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 11:52:07 PM
What's the dealio on a Semiprozine and Fanzine?  What are the criteria?  What I'm asking is, where would Escape Pod fit in here?  And where would it get nominated for an equivalent award?

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:10:51 AM
Someone on the nominating committee has a Who fetish (though it was nice to see 200 on there).

What was the cut-off date for something to be aired to be eligible? Most of Heros has been this year, and the ones that did air last year weren't really in the hitting-it's-stride category.

There is no nominating committee.  Anyone who is a member of this and last year's Worldcon gets a nomination ballot.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 05:38:23 AM
What's the dealio on a Semiprozine and Fanzine?  What are the criteria?  What I'm asking is, where would Escape Pod fit in here?  And where would it get nominated for an equivalent award?

EP is technically eligible for Best Semiprozine (assuming no overly rigid interpretations of "publication" and "press run.")  But it doesn't really matter; like many of the publications and people categories, the nominees tend to be the same year after year, and in this case Locus always wins.

It's probably past time for a permanent "Best Web Site" or "Best Online Market" category.  I'm not just saying that for EP; there are plenty of other markets that deserve it, such as Strange Horizons and Baen's Universe.  If I were going to Japan this year, I'd propose it at the business meeting.  Since I'm not, I'm hoping to talk someone else into it, or else it'll have to wait until next year just to get proposed.  (At which point it could get voted on in 2009 for a possible Hugo category in 2010.)

Overall, though, I'm not uptight about this stuff.  Having a nomination would be good publicity, but it's not publicity we need; at best it would be nice to have.  I think it's far more important that people simply continue to tell their friends.  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 07:46:32 PM
Y'all can guess what I have to say about this list.

Startrekwiki

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 12:17:48 AM

EP is technically eligible for Best Semiprozine (assuming no overly rigid interpretations of "publication" and "press run.")  But it doesn't really matter; like many of the publications and people categories, the nominees tend to be the same year after year, and in this case Locus always wins.

It's probably past time for a permanent "Best Web Site" or "Best Online Market" category.  I'm not just saying that for EP; there are plenty of other markets that deserve it, such as Strange Horizons and Baen's Universe.  If I were going to Japan this year, I'd propose it at the business meeting.  Since I'm not, I'm hoping to talk someone else into it, or else it'll have to wait until next year just to get proposed.  (At which point it could get voted on in 2009 for a possible Hugo category in 2010.)

Overall, though, I'm not uptight about this stuff.  Having a nomination would be good publicity, but it's not publicity we need; at best it would be nice to have.  I think it's far more important that people simply continue to tell their friends.  >8->

I have to say though. That would be very cool... Anyhow, I have to say, I agree with Mr. Eley's remark that EP doesn't need the publicity, but that it would be nice.

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 02:02:48 PM
The novellas "Inclination" by William Shunn, and "Walls of the Universre" by Paul Miko, and Neil Gaiman's short story "How to talk to Girls at Parties" are all available as free audio:

http://www.shunn.net/inclination/

So far, I've listened to "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" and I'm 1/3 of the way through "Inclination".  In "How to Talk to Girls", Gaiman's reading is excellent, though the audio isn't great. It's a classic Gaiman piece: insecure hero, coming-of-age, and seemingly mundane scenes with bizarre  characters.  Personally, I thought "The Problem of Susan" was a stronger story out of his new collection, but what do I know.

Inclination is pretty good, so far. I like the religion that seems to be Christianity as interpreted by an engineer, complete with extended metaphors on simple machines.  The Wheelies' isolation from the rest of the space station reminds me of real-life stories about Amish children's experiences of life outside the farms. I'm not sure where the story's going, but I'm loving the scenery so far.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 07:18:19 PM
Interesting to see Doctor Who compete against itself.  Army of Ghosts/Doomsday is good but Girl In The Fireplace should go over it.

It would make an amazing result for Steven Moffat if it does.  Not that I think that Girl In The Fireplace doesn't deserve recognition, but it's no The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.  It's not just that my expectations were too high (although there was an element of that), but that there's a glaring logic/believability hole that kills the emotional ending for me.  Such a shame after the episode's beautiful build-up and the perfect, watertight resolution of The Doctor Dances.

The real result for Who has got to be three nominations, though.  That's an amazing validation of what they're doing with the new series.

JohnC

• Extern
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 01:21:36 AM
"Impossible Dreams" is a must read for movie buffs. IMO "Eight Episodes" was great and should win that category.