Author Topic: Pseudopod 344: The Pit  (Read 13730 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:55 PM
Welcome Racer00X! Feel free to post as often as you like :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 02:27:01 PM
Not a fan of gore or splatterpunk.  That being said, it seemed well written, just not my kind of thing.

Also, and obviously this isn't a criticism of this story, I didn't think it was helped in my opinion because I'd just seen Django Unchained a week or two before, which involved forced fights to the death and one which involved an eye-gouging between men that this reminded me of.  I thought that movie did it better.  Obviously that's not a criticism of the story, since this story was published a quarter century before the movie and it was just coincidence that I came across them so close in time to each other.

You see, the author here did something that's verboten in fiction: he killed a dog. He killed a dog.

That just isn't done. Oh, sure pull out the guy's eye. Beat him to death, break his neck, let the dogs consume his flesh, and then mount his defleshed skull on a pike. But, dude, you killed a dog. :)

Stephen King must've missed that memo.  I think of all of his stories and books I've read there was one dog that survived, in Under the Dome.  :P

That being said, I tend to have the same reaction, reacting strongly to hurting dogs but not as much for people.  Perhaps because I feel we have a responsibility for canines, I dunno.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 05:05:31 PM
For those who enjoyed this Joe R. Lansdale story:

Dark Regions Press has launched a Kickstarter campaign for Black Labyrinth Book II: Joe R. Lansdale illustrated by Santiago Caruso as part of their Black Labyrinth imprint.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrismorey/black-labyrinth-book-ii-joe-r-lansdale

Black Labyrinth is an imprint of ten psychological horror novels and novellas written by the living masters of horror and dark fiction all illustrated by surrealist artist Santiago Caruso edited by yours truly. Joe R. Lansdale is the award-winning author of Edge of Dark Water, The Bottoms, the Hap and Leonard series, Bubba Ho-Tep, Incident On and Off a Mountain Road and many other works. He's consistently ranked in the top living horror authors. And if you haven't heard of Santiago Caruso, I highly suggest you search his name on Google. We're trying to create a new novella of psychological horror from Joe R. Lansdale illustrated by Santiago Caruso and offer it in premium signed limited edition Black Labyrinth hardcover's.

The press release for the campaign and Santiago's new iteration of the Black Labyrinth logo can be seen here:

http://darkregions.com/black-labyrinth-book-ii-joe-r-lansdale-launch-day-press-release/

Thanks for checking it out!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 09:20:15 PM

Horror in the truest sense for me. I kept waiting for the spec fic element and . . . there isn't one. There are almost certainly places in the American south (I'm from Alabama and live in Georgia) today where things like this could (I'm not saying they do, but they could) happen. And that makes it all the more creepy.

I think there are several hints that this place is shifted out of time and space a bit. He turned onto a road that wasn't on any map and wound up some place not quite right. In addition, the stars didn't resemble anything he had seen before. I got the distinct impression that he drove through a "thin spot" and found himself somewhere just a bit off.

While frequently used by authors like Stephen King, I prefer going back to the masters and this quote never gets old for me. "Parker slipped as the other three were plunging frenziedly over endless vistas of green-crusted rock to the boat, and Johansen swears he was swallowed up by an angle of masonry which shouldn't have been there; an angle which was acute, but behaved as if it were obtuse."

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”