Author Topic: Pseudopod 343: Magdala Amygdala  (Read 19199 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 04:18:35 PM
I've relistened to this one and still found it squirmy, but completely worth it. A great blend of zombies, the eldritch, and body horror.

To the folks who feel that the Elder God reveal at the end came out of nowhere, I present this from the opening paragraphs: "My waking world seems to have been taken apart and put back together so that everything is just slightly off, the geometries of reality deranged."

To me, that sentence feels very Dreams in the Witch House or Call of Cthulhu with their non-euclidean geometries.

"Parker slipped as the other three were plunging frenziedly over endless vistas of green-crusted rock to the boat, and Johansen swears he was swallowed up by an angle of masonry which shouldn't have been there; an angle which was acute, but behaved as if it were obtuse."

"The touch of brain-fever and the dreams began early in February. For some time, apparently, the curious angles of Gilman’s room had been having a strange, almost hypnotic effect on him; and as the bleak winter advanced he had found himself staring more and more intently at the corner where the down-slanting ceiling met the inward-slanting wall."

Further, the slow descent into madness falls perfectly in line with a Lovecraft protagonist.

It's also worth noting that this story won the Bram Stoker. Totally deserved it. http://stokers2013.horror.org/Stokerposters/stokerspostershortfiction.jpg

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”