Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 10754 times)

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
on: July 23, 2013, 03:35:28 AM
I'm surprised no one has started a thread about this yet!

Just got done watching Pacific Rim, (husband surprised me straight out of work with tickets, isn't that romantic?), and I had a fantastic time with that movie. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a huge Del Toro fan, but even I was a bit skeptical how this one would play out.

It was awesome. Amazing effects, a great world and premise, and a side story that was straight up the most engaging side story I have ever seen in a sci-fi movie, hands-down. The dialogue was a bit cheesy at times, but it was so forgivable with everything that was going on. Also, Ron Perlman. Oh, and Charlie Day. Those two are scene stealers.

On the visuals, you just need to see it. It is really neat how much of the set and parts of the monsters are actually built and not CG'ed.

Overall, solid piece of cinema! Del Toro can do no wrong! :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:43:31 AM
"Pacific Rim" was a movie made by people who loved giant monster movies and fighting robot anime.  That love is pure and sweet, and the movie is a joy-filled romp that I cannot recommend highly enough to anyone who has ever loved Godzilla.

If you don't like Godzilla, then you probably were not planning on seeing it anyway.  You should probably not deviate from that plan.

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:08 PM
I'd also add any fans out there of Neon Genesis Evangelion should go ahead and catch this movie, even if you weren't a Godzilla fan.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:20:01 PM
So it Wasn't just Battleship 2? That's good to hear, because that's exactly what the trailer looked like to me. I'll probably see it at some point. Until then I will consider it one more step in the direction of a live action Robotech movie. :P

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:25:08 PM
The difference is that Battleship was made by cynical assholes capitalizing on the tail end of a ridiculous series of movies based on old children's IP, whereas Pacific Rim is made by a widely-acclaimed director doing a project based on what he loves.  There's a clip where he talks about how important it was that the CGI monsters were shaped like they could be a man in a suit despite being digital.  That right there is a man who understands the joy of kaiju.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:45 PM
Really, really want to see this...

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 06:29:38 PM
Saw it over the weekend. I've never had much interest in Godzilla, but I do enjoy well-done fight scenes, which this had aplenty - and oh those monsters, totally glorious. Tremendously fun. I almost wished I'd seen it in 3D - it's got that "big" feel to it that would be enhanced by the effects. Super fun, if just to gawk at the awesome critters.

Also, I love me some Ron Perlman. :)

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:41:04 AM
I really enjoyed it. I have been a giant monster nerd since I was toddler so this really struck a nerve. I liked the "godzilla science" throughout too. My only minor nit was I would have liked a daytime battle or two, and I'd have liked to know more about the Chinese three-pilot and Russian robot teams.

Still, a quality monster romp. It'll be hard for Legendary to top it even with the Godzilla license in hand.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Whiskerwing

• Peltast
  • [Verb]!
    • TavenMoore.com
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21:26 PM
I saw this two weekends ago and it was AWESOME (in the traditional sense of the word).

I was worried the whole movie would be build-up and introduction. Nope, we get thrown into the thick of things nearly immediately.

The pacing is fast, but good. I've heard the director's cut may have a whole 'nother hour of footage in the middle bit, which highlights the other pilots. Those of you who have seen and loved the movie can squee with me at that.

There were a few plot holes and "because reasons" hand-waving, but overall it was the most fun I've had in the theaters in years. I may go back and watch it again in imax.

Whiskerwing

• Peltast
  • [Verb]!
    • TavenMoore.com
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Oh, also? Stay through the credits, if you haven't seen it yet. There's a teeny blip that's worth a big grin. ^_^

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:20:40 PM
I actually would recommend not seeing it in 3-D. Del Toro fought really hard against the studio to not have it in 3D, and really only backed down because they agreed to tone it down and not mess with any of his beauty shots. He said that the movie itself is supposed to have a huge scope on its own and that he wanted his own camera work to give people the impression of 3D, not the technology itself.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:54:23 PM
I actually would recommend not seeing it in 3-D. Del Toro fought really hard against the studio to not have it in 3D, and really only backed down because they agreed to tone it down and not mess with any of his beauty shots. He said that the movie itself is supposed to have a huge scope on its own and that he wanted his own camera work to give people the impression of 3D, not the technology itself.

I avoid seeing films in 3D if at all possible, as in my experience it really adds nothing substantial.
I chose to see Avatar in 3D; was forced by the theater schedule into Puss in Boots and Avengers.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 02:56:07 AM

I avoid seeing films in 3D if at all possible, as in my experience it really adds nothing substantial.
I chose to see Avatar in 3D; was forced by the theater schedule into Puss in Boots and Avengers.

I'm the same way. I don't have depth perception (woooo terrible eye sight) so the majority of the time, I just get a crazy headache from the effect.

Except for Avatar, though. For some reason, that movie worked.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:39:06 PM
Finally got around to watching this and it was fun but.
There were glaringly obvious time mismatches. Everything with Dr. Crazy trying to find a brain takes place at night, but there are daytime shots at Jaeger Central (there was a cool name for the base, I forgot it).
That was the major thing that bothered me while watching the movie.
The second big but happened afterwards when I thought "if they're in each other's minds, why do they need to verbally discuss things and issue verbal commands?"

The cinematography was truly superb and the action sequences were magnificent. You could tell that this was a movie made by people who love the genre.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 05:27:43 PM
I originally wasn't interested in this, but my buddy convinced me to go to the $3 second-run house.

Boy, was I wrong!

This movie (while COMPLETELY preposterous) was great big beautifully packaged fun. Great cast, great visuals, great fun. It in fact pointed out the chief problem with what we'd seen there the week before, Man of Steel - it was didn't have enough fun. I don't just mean humor, I mean fun.

My buddy - "I just saw a mech hit a kaiju with a cruise ship. I'm happy"

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 04:13:48 AM
I originally wasn't interested in this, but my buddy convinced me to go to the $3 second-run house.

Boy, was I wrong!

This movie (while COMPLETELY preposterous) was great big beautifully packaged fun. Great cast, great visuals, great fun. It in fact pointed out the chief problem with what we'd seen there the week before, Man of Steel - it was didn't have enough fun. I don't just mean humor, I mean fun.

My buddy - "I just saw a mech hit a kaiju with a cruise ship. I'm happy"

That was the exact same thing I said to my husband when that happened.

Also, interesting note regarding this movie and the fact that it has a great female character, but doesn't pass the Bechdel Test. They've actually created a new test, which they've coined the "Mako Mori" test; is there a female character who has her own story arc, and that story arc does not go to directly supporting a male character? If so, good on that movie, it actually has a wonderfully rounded lady in it!

http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/mako-mori-test-bechdel-pacific-rim/

mrbelvebeard

• Extern
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:59 AM
My son absolutely loves Pacific Rim.  But he is three, and anything involving giant monsters and robots (a la power rangers) he's hooked.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:03 PM
My son absolutely loves Pacific Rim.  But he is three, and anything involving giant monsters and robots (a la power rangers) he's hooked.
I can't wait until my son is old enough for me to pass on all me geekdom! (he's 7 weeks)

mrbelvebeard

• Extern
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 08:14:14 PM
I can't wait until my son is old enough for me to pass on all me geekdom! (he's 7 weeks)

I can't wait to take him through the pre NG Star Trek movies.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 08:36:07 PM

I can't wait to take him through the pre NG Star Trek movies.
Remember the even-odd rule!
And here we go, derailing the thread ;P

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:48 AM
I'll add my voice to parrot what others have said: Pacific Rim is just awesome :) If you get the source material on which it's based, there's little chance you won't like it.

MUST be seen on the big screen. 3D optional.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:57:31 PM by kibitzer »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 05:35:28 PM
I liked it a lot, too.  Tho... What, 6 helicopters lifting a multi-ton mech over long distances?  No.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:42 PM
You have to have the right mindset though.  I'm not sure if this is part of the genre but there were logic holes and unreal physics all over the place (my giant robot with video screens and telepathic helmets is Analog...did they change the meaning of the word and no one told me?).
But if you get wholly distracted by big shiny robots this is definitely the movie to see.

The cinematography was truly superb and the action sequences were magnificent. You could tell that this was a movie made by people who love the genre.
100% agree

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 10:05:48 AM
It's definitely a movie that makes me want to go play some Mechwarrior Online.  And yeah, you have to ignore a LOT for the pure glee in seeing a giant robot do giant robot things.

I would totally see Pacific Rim 2. 

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 01:28:44 PM
I liked it a lot, too.  Tho... What, 6 helicopters lifting a multi-ton mech over long distances?  No.

but...but...um,  they are near future helicopters...

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 02:07:31 AM

Everytime I had a thought about something that didn't make sense scientifically, a robot punched something and it looked pretty, so I got distracted.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:30 AM

Everytime I had a thought about something that didn't make sense scientifically, a robot punched something and it looked pretty, so I got distracted.

You and me are very much alike in this respect

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:07 AM

So... I'm still half way through my coffee and about a third of the way awake. I read that as "... didn't make sense scientifically I robot-punched something and it looked pretty so I got distracted."
My first thought: "Wow. I need to learn how to do that."
My second thought: "I bet it comes from drinking so much coffee you grow a robot arm."
My third thought: "Why would something punched with my robot arm look pretty?"