Author Topic: Our own Hugo Ballot- best novel  (Read 6138 times)

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
on: March 29, 2007, 03:59:18 PM
Whether or not you are eligible to vote, who would you give the 2007 Hugo award for best novel to? It's a toughie this year, I'd have to say. Good thing the Hugo ballot uses preferential voting. But here you only get one vote- so use it wisely.

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:51 AM
   To my mild shame, I've read exactly one of the nominees, Glasshouse.  In my pathetic, scrabbly defence it is REALLY good though.  I've never read anything before which combines Desperate Housewives-esque social satire with hints of online roleplaying game scoring systems, a main character who thinks he might have once been a tank and frequent body swapping.  Huge fun and mad as cheese.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:08:07 PM
   To my mild shame, I've read exactly one of the nominees, Glasshouse.  In my pathetic, scrabbly defence it is REALLY good though.  I've never read anything before which combines Desperate Housewives-esque social satire with hints of online roleplaying game scoring systems, a main character who thinks he might have once been a tank and frequent body swapping.  Huge fun and mad as cheese.

You have just convinced me to spend money on that book right now.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:08:44 PM
Then today has officially been a good day:)  Hope you enjoy it:)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:20:08 PM
I've only read one as well, His Majesty's Dragon, so I don't think I can vote.  I did really like it though, and I can see why Peter Jackson is keen on making it into a movie.  There's some swashbuckling fights on dragonback -- people board dragons like they would a ship on the high seas -- and some amazing aerial battles that just beg for the big screen. 

Actually, I need to go read the sequels (although Glasshouse will definitely be on the list now, too -- thanks Alasdair).

Mfitz

• Peltast
    • Flying Whale Productions
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 12:50:08 PM
I've only read His Majesty's Dragon, but I have Blindsight on order from the library. 

I loved Novik's book and it's sequels.  They were by far the most original thing I've read in years.  The whole concept shouldn't work- but it does, it should be borderline saccrine-but it's not.  It could easily be all fluff - but it's not. I  gave copies to people as Christmas presents, even people who don't usually read SF?Fantasy and they all liked the book..

The Temeraire series and Karen Traviss's Republic Commando book's Hard Contact and Triple Zero are tied for my top reads last year. 

(Don't thump me about the the media tie in books unless you've read them.  I was reluctant too, but I was wrong.  They have some of the most interesting takes on what it would be like to be a clone I've ever come across, and they are just plane fun Space Opera-ish SF.)