Author Topic: Show unread posts since last visit...or don't  (Read 5396 times)

matweller

• EA Staff
on: August 18, 2013, 03:55:52 PM
Several times every day, I come here and the first thing I do is click "Show unread posts since last visit" and trust it to show me everything new in one place. Then I click on the topics that interest me until I've made it through the list, I click "mark all posts as read," and go back to my life until I get a chance to stop in and do the same again. But I've noticed lately that this function is not showing me all of the unread posts because when I hit the main list, I see categories lit up with new posts that are not represented when I click "Show unread posts since last visit."

You can see in this video how the Podcastle topic gets ignored in the filter.
http://screencast.com/t/R7Ikn9h0alD
That's how it happened just now, but it's not exclusive to PC and often it ignores much more than just one new post.

Does anyone on the technical side know what may be causing this and whether it can be fixed?

eytanz

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:41:41 PM
The most likely explanation I have is that the "unread topics since your last visit" does exactly that it shows only the unread posts that have been made since your last visit. If you visited the forum, forgot to mark any threads as read, then leave and come again, the unread threads from your first visit won't show up again, unless you click on the "show all unread topics" link.

This makes sense in your screenshot as the Podcastle forum was the only one with unread posts from the previous day.

Let me know if you think this isn't the case.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:51 PM
I suppose that may be it, though I'm very surprised if I haven't noticed it before now.

Where is this elusive "show all unread topics" link?

eytanz

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:32 PM
In the bottom right corner (above "mark all topics read") of the "show unread posts since last visit" screen.