Author Topic: EP410: Nutshell  (Read 11085 times)

woodenmango

• Extern
Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 07:11:18 PM
I know this thread is super old but my goodness I love this story. I just had to comment.  It had me grinning while waiting for the bus. I am sure I frightened the people around me.

The whole concept is wonderful. Keep people's brains entertained while you are flinging them through space.  It is something that often concerns me about cryosleep. How do you keep people's brains from shrinking due to lack of stimulation? And the whole bit about people going mad and antisocial reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about replicators and holodeck's in Star Trek. We both agreed it seemed implossible that society wouldn't just collapse in on itself because people could just hangout in their rooms, replicate as much pizza that they wanted, create holodeck friends and never have to speak to anyone again. I like that this addresses that concern with virtual reality.

I love Alasdair's use of voices for the captain. He was so funny. I wish we got some perspective from dylan's clone after they awoke on the colony. I really want to know what happened when they woke up on the planet but I geuss that's not really the point.  And the closing, while abrupt, was the perfect use of the call-back comedy technique.

I've been listening to Escapepod on and off for only a few years now but I have to say that this is the funniest one I can think of. Well done. Anybody who is know and poking about, you should definitely go back and check it out!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:14:16 PM by woodenmango »