Author Topic: Episodic podcast question  (Read 9458 times)

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
on: March 30, 2007, 07:10:26 PM
I'm interested in creating an episodic podcast series based on my Metalface stories and role playing games. I would think an ongoing series would be interesting... but I'm a little bias on this point.

Any comments?

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

Startrekwiki

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:57:44 AM
For a start, you may want to try the free http://www.mypodcast.com/. I'm just starting a 'cast and this has so far been a pretty good tool...

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:19:12 AM
For a start, you may want to try the free http://www.mypodcast.com/. I'm just starting a 'cast and this has so far been a pretty good tool...

I must have mispoken (mistyped) myself. I already host two different podcasts with an international audience of Christian listeners. I am able to create, code the feed, host and promote podcasts with no problem. I'm asking for input regarding content.

I haven't seen many popular episodic podcasts. But that doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there. Just wondering if people would be interested in an ongoing story in addition to new stories every week.

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:52:10 PM
What are the podcasts you run?  I might be interested in checking them out.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:05:53 PM
I'm interested in creating an episodic podcast series based on my Metalface stories and role playing games. I would think an ongoing series would be interesting... but I'm a little bias on this point.

Any comments?

The Escape Pod audience has sort of made the Union Dues stories episodic, and they are very, very popular. I dunno if that means anything to you, but it suggests there is a market for serialized stories.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:41:18 PM

My podcasts are Christian related. I host the "Hampton Roads Church Online" podcast (podcast.hamptonroadschuch.org) and a tech related podcast geared towards up-and-coming Christian wed developers.

I've also been asked to host a new show coming out this spring based on Christian lifestyles from around the world called "Disciples Today" (dtoday.net).

The Escape Pod audience has sort of made the Union Dues stories episodic, and they are very, very popular. I dunno if that means anything to you, but it suggests there is a market for serialized stories.

Excellent! I will record a promo this weekend and post the link.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:43:59 PM by RichGarner »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:46:37 PM

My podcasts are Christian related. I host the "Hampton Roads Church Online" podcast (podcast.hamptonroadschuch.org) and a tech related podcast geared towards up-and-coming Christian wed developers.

I've also been asked to host a new show coming out this spring based on Christian lifestyles from around the world called "Disciples Today" (dtoday.net).

Cool, thanks.  I'll give them a look.  And maybe a listen.  :)

Edit: Bummer -- the link isn't working for me... :(

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:00:56 PM
What kind things would be in your series?
Weekly updates of your Metalface and RPG sessions, or are you thinking of broadcasting fiction stories based around them?
I don't mean this to sound cynical but I know a lot of gamers who have story logs that are every bit as rich as any fiction series, so what would make your quests stand out above the crowd? Would that appeal to a broad audience?
Who is Metalface?

I enjoy all sorts of fiction, and would probably listen to the ongoing storyline of a fantasy campaign, so long as it was presented in a story format. But it would have to be interesting, and well written.

What kind things would be in your series?
Weekly updates of your Metalface and RPG sessions, or are you thinking of broadcasting fiction stories based around them?
I don't mean this to sound cynical but I know a lot of gamers who have story logs that are every bit as rich as any fiction series, so what would make your quests stand out above the crowd? Would that appeal to a broad audience?
Who is Metalface?

I enjoy all sorts of fiction, and would probably listen to the ongoing storyline of a fantasy campaign, so long as it was presented in a story format. But it would have to be interesting, and well written.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 04:42:36 PM
I have written a novel based on Metalface that introduces the characters and setting. It is not published, but I am willing to publish it on the site. I'm not a big fan of recorded game sessions. Most of the ones I have heard have long pauses, non-game chatter and noises of people munching on chips. 

I'm more interested in posting an ongoing story that helps the audience get interested in the game.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:09:17 PM
I have written a novel based on Metalface that introduces the characters and setting. It is not published, but I am willing to publish it on the site. I'm not a big fan of recorded game sessions. Most of the ones I have heard have long pauses, non-game chatter and noises of people munching on chips. 

I'm more interested in posting an ongoing story that helps the audience get interested in the game.

I agree, posting actual game sessions sounds like a horrible waste of bandwidth.
I guess I was asking if you plan on taking your game sessions, writing them down, making a script, and reading them for your podcast? Or were you thinking of making notes about your session, and giving a play by play?
Do you hope to provide entertainment for your listeners, or are you trying to draw them in to the world of gaming?

Is Metalface a gaming system then?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:46:21 PM

I agree, posting actual game sessions sounds like a horrible waste of bandwidth.
I guess I was asking if you plan on taking your game sessions, writing them down, making a script, and reading them for your podcast? Or were you thinking of making notes about your session, and giving a play by play?
Do you hope to provide entertainment for your listeners, or are you trying to draw them in to the world of gaming?

Is Metalface a gaming system then?

Actually, Metalface is an idea for a science fiction television series I had a long time ago. Over the years, I've written short stories, an ongoing novel and a role playing game. The RPG is what stuck the most with some people. I only get a few dozen hits a week, but every now and then I get email in support of the rpg.

It's kinda like GI Joe meets Issac Asimov.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
Rich, the link to the Metalface RPG in your profile (http:///www.metalface.net) does not work.  One too many slashes I think.  The Metalface site looks interesting.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:01:07 PM by kmmrlatham »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 05:59:16 PM
Rich, the link to the Metalface RPG in your profile (www.metalface.net) does not work.

it works for me. You might need to try a different browser or something.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 07:22:03 PM
I editted my above message to be more clear. :)

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 05:12:10 PM
I was unable to record a podcast this weekend due to a headcold.  I probably could have still done it, but I would have sounded like Barry White.

Although....

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 03:40:30 AM
Ok. I've got the first chapter recorded and posted on my site.

http://www.metalface.net/pmwiki.php/Main/Audiobooks

Enjoy. And let me know what you think. Not just writing, but reading and content as well.

Please remember that I do not have professional equipment in my home, so it's nowhere near the quality you are used to from EP.
Also, before you post... Yes. I have already released this story as a first publication. Metalface has been on the web so long, it's been through hundreds of 'first publishings.'