Author Topic: Pseudopod 032: Stitching Time  (Read 10507 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: April 06, 2007, 11:31:36 PM
Pseudopod 032: Stitching Time

By Stephanie Burgis
Read by Mur Lafferty

Some women talk to angels during their winters alone in the farmhouse. Others dance with devils, their wildest nightmares come true. When their husbands come back into the house for supper, they find their sweet, submissive brides speaking in tongues, mouthing obscenities in deep masculine voices. It takes months with Dr. Grace before these women come back to themselves, months of treatment with a starvation diet, months of bible readings and flagellation.

My friend Ellen was one of those women. We’d heard all the stories when we first arrived in the blazing heat of July, travelling together from Boston. During those
welcoming parties, when all the farming families met together and the children played around our feet, older women took us aside.

The winters are long, they whispered to us; watch out. Don’t let your imagination run away from you. Don’t let your husband see, if it does.

They whispered the name of Dr. Grace.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:54:45 PM
I thought this was a well written story, and the lonely, spooky, realistic setting hooked me from the beginning. 

It seemed to be a show-don't-tell situation with the scariness of the doctor.   We can infer that he was sexually abusing one of the women.  Was he raping all of them?  Certainly, this is horrible, but I didn't feel the main character's fear or feel that she was being tortured. 

Also, in general cryptic warnings are a convention of the genre, but they annoy me.  "Spring will come." "Don't let them take your imagination."  Why not, "You had better occupy your time somehow during the winter, or you'll go crazy and get raped in a loony bin.  You might want to try cross stitch."   It's not as poetic, but I think it's what someone would say. 

But again, I really liked the mood and the setting.  I just think the institution could have been scarier.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:48:59 AM
I've been pondering this one all week.
I was excited to hear a story about "Da UP, eh." (that would be "The Upper Peninsula, eh."), but I just didn't get it.
What were the lights she saw?
What was so horrible in the doctor?

I may have to give it another listen.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:48:16 PM
I don't know if you'll get the answer to those questions by giving it another listen.  I've listened to it twice now and although I really like a lot of it, I'm not sure exactly what the lights are besides some kind of vision and what the doctor did.  The doctor thing is okay with me because I can infer quite a bit about what happened but it would've been even spookier to hear more about what happened in the institution. 

I wouldn't have minded if this story was a little longer but all in all, I liked it (especially the historical setting) and the less is more approach.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:20:05 PM
i thought there was just enough info on the doctor/institution to let me infer the rest.  I can imagine alot in the way of horrors.  They mentioned flagellation, forced bible lessons, not being allowed to speak, etc.  Essentially a brainwash to "our Christian values".  Much the same as the things you hear about cults, just in this case the cult is Christianity.  I do agree that I would have liked a little more story, but so much of what happened being up to my imagination worked very well for me especially given the story length.  Ending seemed a little rushed, like there should have been more of the sneaking out, etc.

Grim Gnome

• Extern
    • The Daily Nightmare
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:53:51 PM
Since I just stumbled upon Pseudopod this week, "Stitching Time" was the first podcast I heard and I am pretty darned impressed. I loved the sounds of the language which is rather important to me in something I'm experiencing audially. And being a Michigander myself, I sat bolt upright in my chair when I heard the tale was set in my fair state. The mood was delicious and the situation was wonderfully stifling ... and if I have anything critical to say about the story it would be that it seemed a little light on the level of story or plot. The events proceeded and built on each with a degree of inevitability but I didn't think we arrived at a definitive "show down" at least not enough for my tastes. The auras that the protagonist saw could have been a good device to present more fully what was happening to her friend especially her end. I feel like a nitpicker to even mention that because "Stitching Time" was in general a lovely, gently creepy introduction to your podcast. Keep up the good work!

WolfDeca

• Extern
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:34:22 AM
Wow, you actually get a warning when you post in a reallyreally old topic. And I'm aware nobody will probably read this, unless they, like me, have only recently discovered Pseudopod and are listening to all the episodes in turn.

Just felt like commenting, though.

I really liked the story atmosphere and setting. It was decidedly creepy.

On the other hand, the pragmatist in me was banging its head against the wall all through the story.

So, you have a setting that's obviously hard to live in for all people, with the winter lasting almost all year. However, the men don't seem to go insane, presumably because they, unlike the women, get to work together, sharing laughs and stories and community.

The story doesn't TRY to posit the men as inhuman sadists - they seem to be sad and worried when the women go mad - but it inadvertently does: why oh why don't they just use one summer to make a huge compound house, with common rooms and private rooms, where women can live together during winter? A community of women might actually get some interesting stuff done, like raising kids (don't know how the children can grow up healthy and happy with the fathers gone all day and the mothers maniacally cross-stitching their ennui away, yet they were laughing and playing all the time in the story), and creating progress in other ways. That the women, who are isolated and shut-in, don't manage to get this done is not that remarkable, but the men . . .

The fact that no man really does anything to save his wife (and presumably daughters) from insanity makes them out to be criminally negligent bastards.  There's no reason posited why they should live the way they do, so they must do it because they LIKE it.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:16:40 AM
Wow, you actually get a warning when you post in a reallyreally old topic. And I'm aware nobody will probably read this, unless they, like me, have only recently discovered Pseudopod and are listening to all the episodes in turn.

Them, and the occasional chief editor who uses "view all unread posts" to read the forums. :)

The fact that no man really does anything to save his wife (and presumably daughters) from insanity makes them out to be criminally negligent bastards.  There's no reason posited why they should live the way they do, so they must do it because they LIKE it.

Yeah, pretty much.  Sorry it didn't work for your suspension of disbelief.  I will say there are many more cruel practices in much of the world that are all considered normal in their respective cultures, but in the story more probably could have been done to orient the reader.  I find you can get away with just about anything in fiction, but only if you anticipate and somehow acknowledge the reader's possible objections.

Zathras

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:51:06 PM
WolfDeca,

Threadomancy is not only a tolerated practice in these parts, it is endorsed by TCoRN.  I think you will find that a lot of people will read your comments to old threads.

I listened to all the Pseudopod episodes from the beginning earlier this year.  I have to warn you that some strange things will start happening, so be sure to keep your trusty axe, hammer, baseball bat, whatever ready.  You never know what's going to spring from the speakers when you listen to an episode.

Welcome to the forums, come say hi in some of the other areas some time.

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 08:10:20 PM
Threadomancy is not only a tolerated practice in these parts, it is endorsed by TCoRN.  I think you will find that a lot of people will read your comments to old threads.

Threadromancy, don't forget the second "R".  Since TCoRN was mentioned, I figured I should say a word.  We support the practice, so that a thread doesn't get started every 4 months about the same topic.  This saves Eytanz from having to repeat long and well-formed arguments. 

When you commit Threadromancy, you can rest assured that your comments will get read, because you will return the thread to the top of its board. 

Look around and comment freely.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:11 PM
why the second r?  are you romancing the thread?

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:02 PM
Threadomancy and Threadromancy are both accepted forms on the internet, but TCoRN has only sanctioned the use of Threadromancy in this forum.  Threadromancy is a purer form of the contraction of thread and Necromancy.  Zorag specifically brought up the connection with TCoRN when he originally mentioned it.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:24:38 PM
the texas council of registered nurses?  does threadromancy involve a hump, a pronounced limp and a lightning storm?

WolfDeca

• Extern
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 05:34:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I'll keep the baseball bat - or rather, my big ol' rusty trusty axe - handy.  ;)

It took me a whlie to get the etymology of Treadromancy, with or without extra R. My brain wanted to parse it as thread-dormancy, or let sleeping threads lie. Learned something new!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 04:58:24 PM
I didn't really get into this one.  Solitary insanity could've been staved off by the husband and wife talking to each other, so I had trouble really relating to the central premise.  As an alternative, there could be a collective women's group community as someone suggested up above, which would keep the women happier (because they have company) and the men happier (because their women aren't going crazy). 

The moral of the story seems to be:  "Get a hobby, it's good for your state of mind."  Which seems like generally good advice, but didn't really carry the story for me.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 10:09:39 PM
This one was alright, but I continually struggled with its versimillitude.  I am not altogether familiar with rural communities in Michigan circa 1800, but it's my impression that there is ALWAYS something to do - even in winter.  Cooking, cleaning, spinning, mending, churning, drying, preserving, tanning etc. There are lots of things to do, even in winter.  I did not feel the wives' seclusion made sense from a logical perspective.  Certainly, there would be no way a farmwife could simply stay in bed all day and let her husband do all the work - there was simply too much for him!

Secondly, there was little mention of children.  Except for the abortion, no one had kids.  This, again, seemed highly circumspect and breached versimillitude for me.  Rural communities always have LOTS of kids, because there is LOTS of work to be done.

It felt like reality was being forced into a different shape as to accomodate what was essentially another "transcendant woman" story: the familiar tale of a woman withering away because she was seperated from her art and creativity (devil : demon : daemon : muse - get it? Clever).  There's just too much WORK to do on a farm (especially an old one) to get bored!

Again, maybe there's some historical basis for this story, but I doubt that.  It's true that Victorian women in high society were often afflicted with ennui and subjected to hideous cures - like the "Resting Cure" (cf. "Yellow Wallpaper"), but the wife of a farmer did not have the luxury of having nothing to do.  To me it felt like the author was writing about a subject she did not have much knowledge of - or, more likely, she was overlaying modern sensibilities (the man goes to work all day - the housewife stays cooped up at home with nothing to do) onto a setting where they don't fit.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.