Author Topic: PC278: Nor the Moonlight  (Read 10612 times)

Leslianne

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 07:42:13 PM
I liked this story overall, but... but... Picasso? I get and appreciate that the bull's heart thing is a Guernica reference, and that the guard golem is probably a reference to his analytical cubist period but... Pablo Picasso as a byronic frankenstein monster-maker just doesn't ring true to me, in terms of either the art or the man. I admit I'm not a Picasso scholar or anything, but I'd always gotten the impression of him being a fairly compassionate bohemian type (I'm given to understand his discomfort with high society was what killed his first marriage), and for all that cubism looks kind of weird, it's not grotesque chimera stuff, it's just trying to represent things from a variety of angles in a two-dimensional image.

Now Salvador Dali, I would have bought for this role. But he wasn't in Paris. He was hanging out in Spain, chumming it up with the Franco fascists. I could see Dali having ruined Alain out of sheer aesthetic sensibility. And I say that as someone who more or less likes him.

This is the trouble of historical figures in your story, though.

Procyon

• Palmer
Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 03:08:52 PM
I think my response to this story boils down to this: I like the setting a lot more than the characters.  I had a hard time connecting and identifying with these emotionally traumatized, hard-boiled, murderous & suicidal, quasi-human men.  The love between them -- if you want to call it love, maybe more like love-as-escape-from-pain -- felt like a shadow.  We see them meet, we see them part, we see Alain fall shrieking and mutilated into the depths of the abyss, but we don't really see why they have this attachment to one another.  Perhaps that's intentional.  But it left me wondering why Sam, the scarred misanthrope, loved the other so much.

But the war-torn Paris, with its airships and spells, and the words the author used to bring it to life, I liked a lot.  It felt like a real place, seen through the "spiritual noir" eyes of Sam.  Great stuff.

On the subject of Picasso, I'm neutral.  It seemed like the author chose the artist to cast more light on what his creations -- Frankenstein-Sam, Bird-Alain, etc. -- look like, rather than for the story's sake.  Especially considering we never see Picasso himself.  If it had been Dali, or Matisse, or Yax-Valtar the Sarcomancer, we'd have gotten a very different feel for the nature of the strange beings that populate this story, but probably not the story itself.

ctjhill

• Extern
Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 05:11:17 PM
This was a very interesting story with an atmospheric setting that certainly felt unusual. I love it when stories use, or are inspired by, historical periods that don't traditionally appear in fantasy.

I liked that the main character's sexuality was honestly no big deal, especially as the narrative voice had a noir flavour, and from what little I know of that genre dames are often a motivating factor. I didn't realise Alain was male at first because I heard the name as Elaine, but I think that has more to do with my hearing than my assumptions.

Though the narrator wasn't necessarily likeable he was understandable and I felt sympathy with him. Alain seemed spoiled and fickle and I wasn't sure I entirely bought his scarred-on-the-inside act, there was no indication of why he had suffered. Boy-dames, eh? :)

soar9

• Extern
Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 07:32:39 PM
I'm surprised that so many people didn't like this story! So much so that I made an account and this is my first post on the forum. Long time listener, first time writer, etc.
I see why some people thought it was too much crammed into one story. The setting and history and references to real people were densely packed. However, that all combined to make a great atmosphere, and the reader's voice was just as dark and smoky as I imagined the settings of the story. The whole thing was vivid and imaginative.
I'll definitely admit some flaws--I do wonder why it had to be Picasso? I mean, because of the Cubism-chopped up bodies parallels, but it still felt a little silly. And Elaine's complete despair felt unwarranted. Anyway, if he was so despondent, I don't know why he bothered to run off with other men. After all, what would it matter?
It made me think again about the Lost Generation, and I appreciate that.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 02:07:46 PM
Now Salvador Dali, I would have bought for this role. But he wasn't in Paris. He was hanging out in Spain, chumming it up with the Franco fascists. I could see Dali having ruined Alain out of sheer aesthetic sensibility. And I say that as someone who more or less likes him.

I could TOTALLY see Salvador Dali as flesh-sculpting evil overlord!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 08:59:42 AM

Wasn't he?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 01:39:25 PM

Wasn't he?

Perhaps on a micro scale!  I think I'd remember if he actually ruled over a large portion of the world as described in this story.  Granted, I'm not a history buff by any means, so maybe I fell asleep while that chapter was covered in class.

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 05:10:51 PM
I'm like a lot of others on this one,
Liked the world, liked the writing, liked the characters - didn't buy into the romance.
There was a lot of really interesting plot "conflicts" one could have gone with in this one, famous artist crossing with necromancy, a post world landscape which still harbored invisible and arbitrary death, a board upperclass that wanted to turn body mutilation into pop fashion while the streets are crowded with unwanted mutilations from the war, ZEPPELINS!!!! ... yet all of that is just used as set dressing for a "romance" that seemed pretty thin.

Still ... ZEPPELINS!!!!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 02:40:12 PM
I don't think I commented on the title before, but I find the title not very effective for this story.  The best titles (in my mind) are those that recall to mind when I think of the story, and those which recall the story to my mind when I read the title.  This one does neither.  Even if I read this thread yesterday, when I see the title again it still evokes no story to me.

Jen

• Palmer
Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:03 AM
This just didn't do it for me... and it was probably because of the French. I'm not a native speaker (or even fluent in French), but I do know how it's supposed to sound like, and that was not it. I did figure out early on that the other character was Alain and not Elaine, but the mispronunciations took me out of the story and I couldn't follow it. Especially after the lovely reading of Juan Caceres - a story I also didn't like, but whose narrator was badass.