Author Topic: magic PC?  (Read 19685 times)

oddpod

• Matross
on: January 16, 2007, 10:59:09 AM
Hi guys
I am  working on an Art and design project at the moment based on modern myths, superstitions and rituals, particularly in regards to modern technology

So have you ever come across any weird little rituals or superstitions?
So far I have

Taping the screen of your pc to make it start up quickly.
Opening and closing the printer tray 3 times before printing.
Putting a cloth over the pc when not in use so it can’t "watch" you.

Other non-computer contempory rituals.

Never open a bag of crisps (or chips in the US) up side down.
Taking the first cigarette from a packet and putting it back in up side down.
Making a small scratch on a new car to ward of future crashes.
Leaving a plug socket turned on allows electricity to leak out.

So you guys got any more?
Let me know

Thanks

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:39:30 AM
Patting the dashboard of the car after a successful trip. Especially a long one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:28:22 PM
hmm... well these are all new to me!  im not a superstitious person, ive never done anything like this that i can think of...

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:52:54 PM
I worked with a guy who insisted on tapping the bottom of any soda-pop can before opening, he insisted it stopped it fizzing over.  (Nutter).

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:41:27 PM
I worked with a guy who insisted on tapping the bottom of any soda-pop can before opening, he insisted it stopped it fizzing over.  (Nutter).

The tapping of the top does work. We did a "scientific" study of that in my dorm.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:48:11 PM
The tapping of the top does work. We did a "scientific" study of that in my dorm.

I've found, based on self-funded longitudinal study, that not shaking the can also prevents it from fizzing over.  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 01:05:17 AM
haha.  i find that opening the can partially and letting the air escape first also assists in the endeavor.

Coyote

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:02:10 AM
The "three tap method" as I have heard it called has never really worked for me.

I think this clip sums up my experiences with tapping a can to make sure it doesn't fizz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwymKOl-6sM

The following sentence is false. The previous sentence is true.

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:57:36 AM
Not really superstitious, but I talk to my devices (including my car)... I shout at them when things go wrong, and I say soothing/loving words to them if they've done a good job :)
I also pet them...

Why is everyone backing away now? Who are all these men in white?

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 10:15:49 AM
Who are all these men in white?

If they're driving a rubber truck, RUN!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 12:21:44 PM
Does talking to your computer count?
How about the cult-like use of children's toys and small figurines, clustered around computer hardware (especially monitors), to keep glitches away?
Some friends of mine came up with the use of vehicle mascots: A small stuffed animal was selected as their car's guardian and was wedged in to its place of honor: between the dash and the windshield. If the animal was facing forward, its eyes on the road, you would never get lost. If the animal faced you, you'd be safe in an accident.
There's the myth that fanning Polaroid pictures around will make them develop faster.
How about there personification of electronics in terms of one appliance "liking" another?
And don't forget "Three on a match." (ok, so it's not new, but still...)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 12:45:41 PM
thanks all!

i have found a guy round hear who pays homege to the "green man" at road crosings so he will never be run over

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:44 PM
How about pushing the "walk" button as a superstition?
Everyone has their own style: Some people push it once and leave it alone. Others push it 5-10 times. Some frantically, some do a push.......... and hold, or push, wait, push, wait, push, push, push, wait, push...etc

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:20 PM
i push it 3 times

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:46 PM
How about pushing the "walk" button as a superstition?
Everyone has their own style: Some people push it once and leave it alone. Others push it 5-10 times. Some frantically, some do a push.......... and hold, or push, wait, push, wait, push, push, push, wait, push...etc

It seems that some people are having a little to much fun with that button.

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 03:20:05 PM
When I was younger, I heard a rumour that there was a secret code that would make the man turn green. But no-one knew what combination of presses and pauses would work...

Also, on a computer-related note, I recall a rather fierce argument I had with a freind when I was younger about the best way to load games onto a ZX Spectrum. This was a home computer that we had when I was young (not like them fancy computers those kids have these days. They don't know how lucky they are...) which required users to connect the box to  a cassette player in order to load games. My friend was adamant that games loaded faster if you turned the volume up on the tape player.

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 03:28:22 PM
haha.  i find that opening the can partially and letting the air escape first also assists in the endeavor.

The solution to the problem of drinks cans fizzing over is simple.

The gas they produce is lighter than air. Therefore it rises up when the can is opened, if the can is in an upright position. This effect makes the can fizz over.

The solution? Hold the can upside down then open it. This way, all the gas goes to the bottom of the can and can not escape. For best results, hold the can up high (to take full advantage of the gas's tendency to rise). For some reason, holding the can above your head while opening it upside down is best of all. I am not sure why that is the case, so please experiment with this method and post your results on this thread.

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 03:32:50 PM
If they're driving a rubber truck, RUN!
Actually they are in a rubber duck... guess I should take my med's now? :)

hmm, I press the "walk" button numerous times. Though if it has lights that light up when the button is pressed, I press it only once.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 03:43:22 PM
Here in Detroit the city installed a lot of buttons, but didn't have the money connect them to anything. Oddly enough, complaints from pedestrians who were sick of waiting at crosswalks dropped off sharply.
(then again, only 1/4 of the population bothers to use cross walks)

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 03:55:02 PM
I can't believe I haven't google for this before.

It seems the crosswalk hack is still alive today  ;D

Note that the link in the above site doesn't work. Some might say that this is because BBspot is a satire site, but this is a ruse. It's because someone doesn't want us knowing the truth.

Personally, I rarely wait for the green man anyway. Few Brits do, unless the road is incredibly busy or they have young children with them.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 08:31:43 PM
The solution? Hold the can upside down then open it. This way, all the gas goes to the bottom of the can and can not escape. For best results, hold the can up high (to take full advantage of the gas's tendency to rise). For some reason, holding the can above your head while opening it upside down is best of all. I am not sure why that is the case, so please experiment with this method and post your results on this thread.

The guy I knew that that tapped would not fall for this.  I mean he was clever. BUT IN THIS ONE THING HE INSISTED.  Remain calm...  IT WAS SO AAARRRRGHHH .  Tap , tap, tap, open.   WHY IT DOESN'T DO ANTHING.

... maybe he just hated me.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 01:32:57 AM
i used to think that my stuffed animals would get mad at me if neglected.  like if i put em at the back of the bed, but had one with me while sleepin, the rest of them would get mad at me.

greenpix

• Extern
Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:18:32 AM
blowing in any kind of game cartridge.
Scratching coins if they don't get accepted by vending machines. Which is a really odd one because its has been proofed that it wont help a tidbit and they still installed special metal scratch fields on the vending machines to prevent vandalism on the machines.  8)

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 02:19:17 AM
I highly recommend Snopes when researching urban legends.

For example, they come down on the tapping the soda can as a busted myth.

http://www.snopes.com/science/sodacan.htm

This is a great resource for myths and superstitions.  For example, did you know that the British Government deliberately manufactured the myth that eating carrots would improve your vision?  They did it during World War II to fool the Germans about the existance of radar. 

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/carrots.asp

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 07:41:31 PM
thank, thats ace