Escape Artists
April 23, 2017, 12:30:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape Artists Metacast  (Read 35925 times)
eytanz

« on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

Escape Artists Metacast

An urgent update on the status of Escape Artists, its three podcasts, our plans for the future and why we desperately need your help getting there.

Listen to the metacast!
Varda
Rebound
Editor

Definitely not an android.

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »

Just listened to the metacast - very informative, you guys. Since I've been getting more involved in the community recently after years of lurking, I've been thinking it might be time to subscribe.

But since I'm a near-broke student on a research assistant salary, I'm justifying it to myself by thinking of it like this: once a month, I'm buying EA a beer.

It's an Oktoberfest miracle!

Cheers, y'all.  Smiley

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com
alexr
Extern

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »

I'm a big, big fan of Podcastle (and I keep meaning to check out the other EA podcasts – I promise I will, eventually), and I'd like it if it were around for quite some time to come. I subscribed earlier in the year, and I'd certainly be more than happy to give a bit more. What's the best way to up my subscription amount?
redbaybound
Extern

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »

I cannot imagine my morning and evening commute without an Escape Artists' podcast to look forward to.  Subscribed about 3 minutes ago. I can only hope that my fellow listeners do the same.
Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »

@alexr

Paypal lets you adjust your recurring payments manually.  Or I guess you could subscribe to all three podcasts; the money all goes to the same place, since it's one company financially-speaking.  (Editorial control is obviously a separate issue.)

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
eytanz

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »

@alexr

Paypal lets you adjust your recurring payments manually.  Or I guess you could subscribe to all three podcasts; the money all goes to the same place, since it's one company financially-speaking.  (Editorial control is obviously a separate issue.)

I do not believe this is correct. There is no way to adjust the size of your donation from within paypal.

You can either cancel your existing subscription and start a higher one (I just did this; note that this will mean that a payment comes out right away, regardless of when your last payment was), or you may be able to have multiple subscriptions at once - I don't know if the latter works, I haven't tried.
PedalBikah
Extern

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »

I've been listening to all your podcast for at least five years now. These stories have become a part of my life and I look forward to them all every week. I've laughed, cried, and been transported a lot further than just my car can get me.  Usually being part of the 99% is something I take pride in, today I will fix that reputation in regards to you the escape artists. I'm going to be catching up on some back dues to y'all for all the fine work you do. Thanks so much I hope to see you in the new year.
ahutson
Extern

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »

Just listened to the metacast and I'm shocked to hear that things are at this point. I had no idea.  As soon as I have an income, cross your fingers, in a few weeks - I hope - I will send my backpay donations for the last year or two.

I applaud the administratuve team for their effort, their honesty, and taking the time to do this metacast - after all they are busy turning out stories every week, working a day job, and living their lives.

Just a quick question - I've seen on other sites where they rig up a monthly fundraising goal and have current progress to that goal displayed. Sometimes there are top/new donors. Does that exist for escape artist sites ? It wouldn't be hard to whip up, and would clearly communicate fundraising goals.
ahutson
Extern

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »

Coincidence ? This was the next podcast that came up in my playlist !

Freakonomics.
Episode: How to Raise Money Without Killing a Kitten
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/freakonomicsradio/~5/h-r3eK0tAVY/freakonomics_podcast101013.mp3
P.C. Haring
Publisher
EA Staff

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

I'm a big, big fan of Podcastle (and I keep meaning to check out the other EA podcasts – I promise I will, eventually), and I'd like it if it were around for quite some time to come. I subscribed earlier in the year, and I'd certainly be more than happy to give a bit more. What's the best way to up my subscription amount?

The easiest way would be to cancel your existing subscription and start a new one at the new level you'd like to donate.  It will take money out of your paypal account a second time, but if the extra payment puts a crimp on your paypal balance you can E-mail me or PM me directly and, with some details from you, I can essentialy issue a refund to reverse your first donation back to you.

Just a quick question - I've seen on other sites where they rig up a monthly fundraising goal and have current progress to that goal displayed. Sometimes there are top/new donors. Does that exist for escape artist sites ? It wouldn't be hard to whip up, and would clearly communicate fundraising goals.

That's something we hadn't considered, but I'll look into it and see what options there are.

Paul Haring
Publisher and Treasurer, Escape Artists Inc.
InfiniteMonkey
Lochage

Clearly, I need more typewriters....

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »

I know this is probably not the best time to suggest this, but have you considered a National Endowment for the Humanities or National Endowment for the Arts grant?

(I now have a job. And I will make use of the new option. ESPECIALLY if there is a PayPal alternative --- HATE HATE HATE Paypal)
Plumpdragon
Extern

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »

Been a long time fan of Escape pod and Pseudopod now.

Just subscribed for $2 a month.

I wish I could give more but I have a very small income and little to spend on extra's.

Still I hope it will help.

PD.
P.C. Haring
Publisher
EA Staff

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

(I now have a job. And I will make use of the new option. ESPECIALLY if there is a PayPal alternative --- HATE HATE HATE Paypal)

You can send donations in via Dwolla.com.  Our number is 812-527-2340

Paul Haring
Publisher and Treasurer, Escape Artists Inc.
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »

I've been listening to Escape Pod since 2009 and Podcastle since 2010, and have always said to myself "I'll donate when money isn't so tight." This was the kick in the pants I needed to decide that if I can afford wifi in my home, then I can certainly afford five bucks a month for the EA casts as well. Thanks for everything that you guys do, I appreciate you so much!
Windup
Hipparch

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:18 AM »

Sorry to hear things are in such a state; I would miss these podcasts and the forums a great deal if they weren't here, so I've upped my subscription a bit. 

It sounds like you have a plan for recovery, and I hope it works out.  Keep us posted!

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."
evilcatfish
Extern

Re:
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 12:22:36 AM »

Wow! Escape artists cannot be allowed to die. I suppose it is time to set up the subscription I've been promising myself I will set up one day. Amazing how the threat of losing something can make you realise just how empty life would be without it
littlepossum
Extern

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 03:25:50 AM »

Okay I've subscribed. I'm really sorry it's only the lowest donation point, I'm pretty stressed about money myself at the moment so I know how you feel. You guys are the best. I really appreciate everything that you're doing even though I'm a mad lurker.
Yarin
Extern

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:44:58 AM »

I donated once I'll need to put more money in my paypal account in order to subscribe
flintknapper
Lochage

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:45:16 AM »

Aye. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for money to keep the place running. I will have my wife subscribe us. You guys do an amazing job. We love all the podcasts.
ginkgobitter
Extern

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:31 AM »

I only started listening to EscapePod and PseudoPod earlier this year and am dreading the prospect of losing your weekly stories.
Some of them really touched me, others were plainly weird, some exceedingly clever and creative, but always unique and I will carry memories of (and scars from) them with me for the rest of my life.

Absolutely love the work you do! Hopefully my subscription will help you stay afloat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: