Author Topic: Escape Artists Metacast  (Read 83481 times)

eytanz

on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:00 PM
Escape Artists Metacast

An urgent update on the status of Escape Artists, its three podcasts, our plans for the future and why we desperately need your help getting there.

Listen to the metacast!

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:19:34 PM
Just listened to the metacast - very informative, you guys. Since I've been getting more involved in the community recently after years of lurking, I've been thinking it might be time to subscribe.

But since I'm a near-broke student on a research assistant salary, I'm justifying it to myself by thinking of it like this: once a month, I'm buying EA a beer.

It's an Oktoberfest miracle!

Cheers, y'all.  :)

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

alexr

• Extern
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:29:12 PM
I'm a big, big fan of Podcastle (and I keep meaning to check out the other EA podcasts – I promise I will, eventually), and I'd like it if it were around for quite some time to come. I subscribed earlier in the year, and I'd certainly be more than happy to give a bit more. What's the best way to up my subscription amount?

redbaybound

• Extern
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:57:21 PM
I cannot imagine my morning and evening commute without an Escape Artists' podcast to look forward to.  Subscribed about 3 minutes ago. I can only hope that my fellow listeners do the same.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:48 AM
@alexr

Paypal lets you adjust your recurring payments manually.  Or I guess you could subscribe to all three podcasts; the money all goes to the same place, since it's one company financially-speaking.  (Editorial control is obviously a separate issue.)

eytanz

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:06:52 AM
@alexr

Paypal lets you adjust your recurring payments manually.  Or I guess you could subscribe to all three podcasts; the money all goes to the same place, since it's one company financially-speaking.  (Editorial control is obviously a separate issue.)

I do not believe this is correct. There is no way to adjust the size of your donation from within paypal.

You can either cancel your existing subscription and start a higher one (I just did this; note that this will mean that a payment comes out right away, regardless of when your last payment was), or you may be able to have multiple subscriptions at once - I don't know if the latter works, I haven't tried.

PedalBikah

• Extern
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:19:37 AM
I've been listening to all your podcast for at least five years now. These stories have become a part of my life and I look forward to them all every week. I've laughed, cried, and been transported a lot further than just my car can get me.  Usually being part of the 99% is something I take pride in, today I will fix that reputation in regards to you the escape artists. I'm going to be catching up on some back dues to y'all for all the fine work you do. Thanks so much I hope to see you in the new year.

ahutson

• Extern
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:13 AM
Just listened to the metacast and I'm shocked to hear that things are at this point. I had no idea.  As soon as I have an income, cross your fingers, in a few weeks - I hope - I will send my backpay donations for the last year or two.

I applaud the administratuve team for their effort, their honesty, and taking the time to do this metacast - after all they are busy turning out stories every week, working a day job, and living their lives.

Just a quick question - I've seen on other sites where they rig up a monthly fundraising goal and have current progress to that goal displayed. Sometimes there are top/new donors. Does that exist for escape artist sites ? It wouldn't be hard to whip up, and would clearly communicate fundraising goals.

ahutson

• Extern
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:46:03 AM
Coincidence ? This was the next podcast that came up in my playlist !

Freakonomics.
Episode: How to Raise Money Without Killing a Kitten
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/freakonomicsradio/~5/h-r3eK0tAVY/freakonomics_podcast101013.mp3

P.C. Haring

• Publisher
  • EA Staff
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:59:22 AM
I'm a big, big fan of Podcastle (and I keep meaning to check out the other EA podcasts – I promise I will, eventually), and I'd like it if it were around for quite some time to come. I subscribed earlier in the year, and I'd certainly be more than happy to give a bit more. What's the best way to up my subscription amount?

The easiest way would be to cancel your existing subscription and start a new one at the new level you'd like to donate.  It will take money out of your paypal account a second time, but if the extra payment puts a crimp on your paypal balance you can E-mail me or PM me directly and, with some details from you, I can essentialy issue a refund to reverse your first donation back to you.

Just a quick question - I've seen on other sites where they rig up a monthly fundraising goal and have current progress to that goal displayed. Sometimes there are top/new donors. Does that exist for escape artist sites ? It wouldn't be hard to whip up, and would clearly communicate fundraising goals.

That's something we hadn't considered, but I'll look into it and see what options there are.

Paul Haring
Publisher and Treasurer, Escape Artists Inc.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31:08 AM
I know this is probably not the best time to suggest this, but have you considered a National Endowment for the Humanities or National Endowment for the Arts grant?

(I now have a job. And I will make use of the new option. ESPECIALLY if there is a PayPal alternative --- HATE HATE HATE Paypal)

Plumpdragon

• Extern
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:29 AM
Been a long time fan of Escape pod and Pseudopod now.

Just subscribed for $2 a month.

I wish I could give more but I have a very small income and little to spend on extra's.

Still I hope it will help.

PD.

P.C. Haring

• Publisher
  • EA Staff
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 03:37:38 AM

(I now have a job. And I will make use of the new option. ESPECIALLY if there is a PayPal alternative --- HATE HATE HATE Paypal)

You can send donations in via Dwolla.com.  Our number is 812-527-2340

Paul Haring
Publisher and Treasurer, Escape Artists Inc.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 04:24:40 AM
I've been listening to Escape Pod since 2009 and Podcastle since 2010, and have always said to myself "I'll donate when money isn't so tight." This was the kick in the pants I needed to decide that if I can afford wifi in my home, then I can certainly afford five bucks a month for the EA casts as well. Thanks for everything that you guys do, I appreciate you so much!

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 05:04:18 AM
Sorry to hear things are in such a state; I would miss these podcasts and the forums a great deal if they weren't here, so I've upped my subscription a bit. 

It sounds like you have a plan for recovery, and I hope it works out.  Keep us posted!

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

evilcatfish

• Extern
Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 05:22:36 AM
Wow! Escape artists cannot be allowed to die. I suppose it is time to set up the subscription I've been promising myself I will set up one day. Amazing how the threat of losing something can make you realise just how empty life would be without it

littlepossum

• Extern
Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:50 AM
Okay I've subscribed. I'm really sorry it's only the lowest donation point, I'm pretty stressed about money myself at the moment so I know how you feel. You guys are the best. I really appreciate everything that you're doing even though I'm a mad lurker.

Yarin

• Extern
Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 08:44:58 AM
I donated once I'll need to put more money in my paypal account in order to subscribe

flintknapper

• Lochage
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 12:45:16 PM
Aye. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for money to keep the place running. I will have my wife subscribe us. You guys do an amazing job. We love all the podcasts.

ginkgobitter

• Extern
Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 02:54:31 PM
I only started listening to EscapePod and PseudoPod earlier this year and am dreading the prospect of losing your weekly stories.
Some of them really touched me, others were plainly weird, some exceedingly clever and creative, but always unique and I will carry memories of (and scars from) them with me for the rest of my life.

Absolutely love the work you do! Hopefully my subscription will help you stay afloat.

chemistryguy

• Matross
  • Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970
    • 5000 People can't be wrong...or can they?
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 03:15:24 PM
Count me among those hating the prospect of losing EA and finally getting out my wallet to do something.

My birthday present was originally going to be a Bluetooth receiver for easier time listening in my car, but what sense is it if you guys go out of business?

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 05:36:38 PM
It's probably clear from how long we've waited to say anything and by the way that when we finally did, we babbled on and on like a 35-year-old having to ask his parents for money, but this was hard for us. Your response has been heartwarming and reassuring. In fact, now I feel like I can ask you guys for anything. Can each of you come take one thing out of my basement and never bring it back? I want to make some play space down there.

hydrasrcool

• Extern
Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 05:49:51 PM
I've never posted on these forums before, but I've been listening to Escape pod, pseudopod, and podcastle since very nearly their beginning. It has literally been an escape for me, during long commutes, while working as a dishwasher, and during study breaks. It has been something for my brother and I to bond over. It has been with me longer than most of my significant romantic relationships. I have really come to value the type of stories escape artists has brought me,but more than that, it has given me a human connection to the fiction I love. Reading is generally such a solitary experiences, but in the thought provoking, and revealing monologues by the editors I have shared the vast social and emotional impact good writing can have on us.I don't really make a lot of money, but this month I'm setting aside some of my tips so I can make a donation.
Esacape artists had pointed me towards some new amazing things, given me audio from some of my favorite authors and most of all kept my mind excited.
 I would hate to see any of these shows disappear.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:47 PM
I went from donating 10 a month to donating nothing because I entered the real world and got a low paying job, but if $2 a month is all it takes to make an impact, I can do that.  Heck, I could probably squeeze $5 a month.  I'll be re-subscribing today.  I don't want to see the podcasts die!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

garlic

• Extern
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 07:13:32 PM
I have a slightly rude question that I can't seem to find the answer to -- What are Escape Artists costs? I expect being a pro-paying market plus server costs make up the bulk of it, plus any pay the staff get, and future plans to pay readers, plus what else? Or if that's too private of a matter, what's a per download cost? or per story cost?