Author Topic: Escape Artists Metacast  (Read 83782 times)

micfost

• Extern
Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 06:13:31 PM
Thank you to all of the Escape Artists podcasts.

One year ago I made a cross-country drive from Seattle to Massachusetts for a new job.  I loaded up my phone with a seemingly endless supply of stories from the archives and drove like a madman for 4 days.  That would've been a very lonely trip without you.

So thank you for doing what you do.  And please keep doing it.

New subscriber,

Michael

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:31 PM
This is my favorite thread of all time.  It is so wonderful seeing all these new faces signing up to answer the call.  You all are seriously awesome people!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
re: transparency - I make $37.50 a week as editor.

Last night (since I was at Capclave all weekend chasing down some authors and hobbing the nob with Norm and the SYNTHETIC VOICES crew) I sat down at my computer at 11pm (I had to re-watch 3 Mario Bava films on Netflix earlier, before they got pulled - BARON BLOOD, what fun!) and finished at 4am.  I woke up this morning at 7:30, drank a cup of coffee and, barring occasional Facebook posts, worked on PSEUDOPOD stuff and haven't moved until right now, 3:00pm (I am currently unencumbered by gainful employment) - I'm going to go to the gym now (and listen to our fellow podcasters while I trudge along) because Autumn looks very beautiful outside my window and the walk will be nice.

These hours are not typical or even consistent (once I finish up later tonight - after dinner and possibly MACHETE KILLS! - I won't think about PSEUDOPOD for a couple of days) but they seem to be happening more and more recently - which is my choice because I, too, love this horrible creature we've created!

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:57 PM
Been a long time fan of Escape pod and Pseudopod now.

Just subscribed for $2 a month.

I wish I could give more but I have a very small income and little to spend on extra's.

Still I hope it will help.

PD.

Thanks so much! As Paul said in the Metacast, $2/month will actually be a big help.

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward

Ghoti

• Extern
Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:45 PM
Hi, all;

I've not been terribly active on these fora, but I've been an avid listener and have been subscribing since before the Alphabet Quartet promo a while or two back.  I deeply regret that I cannot afford to go beyond the $5 level, but it's absolutely wonderful to see all the folks in this thread announcing that they're stepping up and joining the ranks of those who are giving back to Escape Artist, not least because it's a pretty sure thing that for each person who is taking the time to actually post here, there must be some who are making a donation or subscription, but not being vocal about it.

To all of the Escape Artists, authors, narrators, et al.: Thank you for your hard work and delightful entertainment over the past few years. 

To all who have been or are now helping out EA: Thank you for stepping up, truly.  I say this not only in the selfish, "I want more stories", way, but also because of the passion laced with hope and dread which I heard in everyone involved in the Metacast - I can tell these folks love what they are doing, and can hear that even saying out loud that there's the prospect of EA closing its doors in painful.  Let's make sure they don't have to endure the pain of actually doing so.  We can do it, guys; we really can.

acyawn

• Extern
Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:28 PM
Hello,

Long time listener - I started listening as a student and then neglected to think about donating even when I got a job (and also continued listening alot while working!). Its like the bystander effect - just assumed someone else would and did not bother.

Have now subscribed $7/m and given a one off of $50 as the thought of these stories going away makes me incredibly sad.

Thank you all
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:25:49 PM by acyawn »

chaoservices

• Extern
Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:56 PM
I've been listening since pretty much episode one of Escape Pod (I think I came in at episode eight or nine - but then went back)... but have either been too poor or, more recently, too lazy to subscribe.

$5pm subscription from October. Done. Fixed that.

That just leaves the back pay from May 2005 to September 2013 == 8 years  + 4 months == 100 months.

Gosh - that's an enticingly round number isn't it.

Since I didn't always have enough spare cash to subscribe over that time - let's call it $2pm to make it a nice round one-off $200.

Also done.

Folks - for those who are luck enough to be able to afford it - consider back pay. The lovely EA folk deserve it.

Same boat. Good crew. Started listening* in highschool and you've been here through college. The least I can do is be as reliable as you've been to me.

Part of the problem has been that while the call has always closed episodes there it has usually been a vague: "what/if/when you can" and not a concrete: "$5/month". I don't mean to suggest a subscription model but when I heard the "$2 from everyone makes for 20 years" line it made things simple for my mental accountant.

* I dunno when but one of the earliest non backlogged episodes I definitely remember is Steve asking for co-op video game recommendations.

chromeratt

• Extern
Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:31 AM
I apologize.  

That's really all I can say.  

I apologize for taking the Escape Artists podcasts for granted.
I apologize for saying "maybe next month" literally more than seventy times.
I apologize for not contributing sooner.  I have corrected this.
I apologize for the stress that the Escape Artist staff have gone through because I haven't contributed sooner.

OK, I lied.  I can also say "Thank you".

Thank you for the hours of entertainment.  
Thank you for all the new writers I might never have experienced without podcasts.
Thank you for Pseudopod #11, "Killing Jars" by Matt Wallace, which helped me deal (ever so slightly) with my phobia of ANYTHING to do with eyeballs.  I no longer have the urge to vomit when I hear someone talk about their lasik surgery.
Thank you for another set of experiences I can share with my children.  The vast worlds opened up by the Escape Artists podcasts give me many new avenues to explore with them.

Thank you for ALL the stories.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:24:16 AM by chromeratt »

Philip

• Extern
Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 02:47:31 AM
Now subscribed, definitely worth $5 a month, keeps me in another world as I do my chores. keep up the great work!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:17 AM
I've been a subscriber for a little bit, I set up the account as a gift to myself sometime back. I truly hope our numbers swell more and more. I honestly wish that I COULD up my paltry 5 bucks a month to something bigger. EA has turned me on to some TRULY wonderful writers, podcasts, and ways of thinking. We're prepping for a HUGE move back to the states and I've opted out of a bunch of things I throw money at on a regular basis (Oh corner coffee and pastries I miss you) But I never considered dropping my EA subscription. These stories have pulled me through some truly awful times. I listened to  a Podcastle story on the flight home from my Grandmothers wake that had me in much needed tears.

You guys are like family. Your words have been there for me in my best, worst, and everyday medicore times.

Thank you. Thank you for being there for me, for everyone. When I can, I promise to send more your way. You are more then worth it.

Thanks again. To you all.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 12:19:31 PM
Add me to the roster of new subscribers.  I've set up an account with Dwolla (Paypal and I have butted heads and I'm not a fan) with a recurring payment.  Thank you for all you do and keep it up!

Edit: Hey, that 812-527-2340 we're sending Dwolla money to is a phone number, right?  They ask you to checkmark whether it's a phone number or a Dwolla ID/# and I assumed from the format it's a phone number.  I'm not spraying money at strangers, right?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:42:26 PM by Thunderscreech »

wossName

• Extern
Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 12:56:01 PM
For those who are boycotting Paypal and can't use Dwolla: Pod Disc is accepting payments through Google, so there's another way to send support!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:23 PM
Add me to the roster of new subscribers.  I've set up an account with Dwolla (Paypal and I have butted heads and I'm not a fan) with a recurring payment.  Thank you for all you do and keep it up!

Edit: Hey, that 812-527-2340 we're sending Dwolla money to is a phone number, right?  They ask you to checkmark whether it's a phone number or a Dwolla ID/# and I assumed from the format it's a phone number.  I'm not spraying money at strangers, right?

I just emailed Paul about this. We'll get back to you on it ASAP. Sorry for the confusion!

P.C. Haring

• Publisher
  • EA Staff
Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 01:54:51 PM

I just emailed Paul about this. We'll get back to you on it ASAP. Sorry for the confusion!

That actually is a Dwolla ID.  All of their accounts are formatted like US based phone numbers.  (don't know why). 

Paul Haring
Publisher and Treasurer, Escape Artists Inc.

Doctor Thump

• Extern
Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 02:40:04 PM
Hi Gang:  Thanks to the Escape Artists folks for letting us know it was this bad.  I've been a subscriber since 2009 and I can't imagine a week w/out these podcasts.  I'd challenge all the current donors to triple their monthly donation - and for all the new donors - thanks!  T

If it were easy, everyone would do it...

~oDD

• Extern
Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 03:04:57 PM
In regards to subscription options:

I would have subscribed long ago if I could have set up a direct draft from my checking account, rather than using a 3rd party. 

I can set up direct payment from my checking account to a variety of payees, all I need is the account information to send it to.

Is this an option?  Please let me know, and thanks to the entire Escape Artists team for the work you've done over the years.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 03:51:13 PM

That actually is a Dwolla ID.  All of their accounts are formatted like US based phone numbers.  (don't know why). 
Well, nuts. 

Well, I've re-done it w/ the type as 'Dwolla ID' and redid my recurring payment too.  I may have sent $10 to a stranger by mistake, heh.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #67 on: October 16, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
First of all a question: I have a 5$ subscription and would be happy to increase that, but not to 10. Is something like a 7 or 8$ subscription possible? I guess that adding a 2$ one to my old one doesn't really make sense.

OK, now about the Metacast. I generally like the presentation, the different voice, and it's awesome that you even include a flash piece. There's one point that seriously bugs me though. You say you are in big trouble and might close down by the end of 2013. I pray you don't and I am glad that people are stepping in to generously donate. I will try to do my part as well. But if the situation is so dire, why do you tell us about expanding your business, by buying famous pieces or paying the readers? On the one hand, I can understand this. You want to show us perspectives and what great plans you have. If you continue. But let me play something like the devil's advocate. I hope this never comes true, but if this call for subscriptions doesn't generate the income you need, why not... collapse Escape Artists into less than three podcasts. I was thinking about it on my way to work this morning - I am listening to old Escape Pod episodes and Escape Artists has certainly grown from there. Today, there is Pseudopod and PodCastle as well. If it doesn't work out, why not go back to just Escape Pod? Yes, it would make me sad. It'd be one short story a week and not three. It might mean rotating introductions, and not a weekly fix of Alisdair and Dave. It would still be better than nothing.

Ok, with that being said, I might have some spare money on my paypal account that needs to go. (this consideration is totally independent of how anyone answers to my considerations above, of course)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #68 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:34 PM
Heh. Honestly, we hadn't thought of doing three months of horror and three months of fantasy at Escape Pod. That might have really convinced certain SF listeners to donate :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #69 on: October 16, 2013, 04:09:58 PM
Well, we'd rather keep growing than start shrinking, you know?  I mean, yes, if it comes down to total collapse, I suppose it's possible that those who are left with the pieces might try to reboot on a smaller scale, but that's not exactly a first option, you know?  If your business is struggling, you try to earn more money first and start reducing headcount after, ne?  And the better your product, the more you can 'ask' for it, hence the desire to bump all three 'casts to pro rates and pay readers and all that jazz. 

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #70 on: October 16, 2013, 04:41:54 PM
Heh. Honestly, we hadn't thought of doing three months of horror and three months of fantasy at Escape Pod. That might have really convinced certain SF listeners to donate :)

That's not what I wrote.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #71 on: October 16, 2013, 05:02:52 PM

That's not what I wrote.

No, sorry. I was being a bit silly. Back in the day, EP covered all three - though it focused heavily on SF/F, with occasional horror. And part of the reason PP and PC spun off was because listeners wanted to separate the genres some. (Also, there were enough listeners to support it, etc., and there were certainly enough worthwhile stories out there.)

Currently, we have more of an All for One, One for All attitude with the three podcasts. If it ever came down to downsizing, I suppose what you are suggesting is an option. We would prefer to avoid that, though :)

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #72 on: October 16, 2013, 05:14:04 PM
Currently, we have more of an All for One, One for All attitude with the three podcasts. If it ever came down to downsizing, I suppose what you are suggesting is an option. We would prefer to avoid that, though :)

Absolutely

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #73 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:33 PM
Also, whilst I appreciate the comments, that discussion is not only somewhere we don't have to go yet but also opens up a profoundly upsetting version of 'sci Fi, Fantasy or horror?'. We're not there yet Abd I'd really like it if this discussion didn't jump the tracks and head there. It has far more positive directions it is and should continue to go in.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 05:44:20 PM
It's also worth considering two things:

1) The three casts have three audiences and that increases the pool of potential donors significantly. Consolidating would drastically reduce the pool, possibly to a point where even the one remaining might not be able to bring in the necessary donations.

2) There are shared costs involved in having three shows, like splitting the cable bill between three roommates. Consolidation would mean one show with a smaller audience taking on all of the overhead cost -- also potentially devastating.

The much easier path with the better chance of success for all involved -- staff, authors, and listeners -- is to increase the audience and to encourage more than 1% of them to give just $2 per month.