Author Topic: Escape Artists Metacast  (Read 83730 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #175 on: October 24, 2013, 01:50:46 PM
Just a quick question - I've seen on other sites where they rig up a monthly fundraising goal and have current progress to that goal displayed. Sometimes there are top/new donors. Does that exist for escape artist sites ? It wouldn't be hard to whip up, and would clearly communicate fundraising goals.

That's something we hadn't considered, but I'll look into it and see what options there are.

Something like that would be fine, but I'd suggest you try to keep it as positive as possible.  Again I'll use Duotrope as an example.  They'd have a monthly goal, and would have a colored progress bar that would tell you how well they were meeting that goal.  Every month on the 1st the notice would be  "We are 99% Behind on Our Funding This Month!" as if this were a terrible and dire thing.  No shit, Sherlock, you've only had 8 hours of time to gather 30 days worth of donations.  This bugged me every month, and led me to seriously wonder about their ability to make simple decisions if they had no problem with that dire notice popping up every month.

So, some kind of notice would be fine, but don't make it needlessly dire like the Duotrope one had been.  Maybe a rolling 30-day window, or something.

Personally I'd rather do without that, but if it helps drum up any support, it's good.

What I would suggest, though, is that if funds are dipping below comfort level and you guys get worried, then tell us in the episodes.  It's possible that I may have missed something, but it seemed like the episodes were having the usual level of donation soliciation, and then suddenly the metacast with "Please donate now or we will be gone in 3 months".  Maybe the latter is better for getting a blast of donations, but it seems like it could have some intermediate state if this happens again in the future.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #176 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:11 PM
It's probably clear from how long we've waited to say anything and by the way that when we finally did, we babbled on and on like a 35-year-old having to ask his parents for money, but this was hard for us. Your response has been heartwarming and reassuring. In fact, now I feel like I can ask you guys for anything. Can each of you come take one thing out of my basement and never bring it back? I want to make some play space down there.

If you guys are having financial trouble, you absolutely should speak up about it!  Besides just cash money I'm happy to contribute to different incentives and fundraisers--maybe for a ceratin level of donation you could get a critique from a fairly well established author on a story, or for a big-ish donation have a story reading by one of the Escape Artists readers (not for the cast, just for your own distribution, I mean).  Granted these are both writer-focused rewards, but you see what I mean.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #177 on: October 24, 2013, 02:31:25 PM
Sorry for the blitz of unrelated replies in a row, but I'm working my way slowly through this 9-page thread.

Some have suggested consolidating some of the podcasts with each other, but I dislike that idea except as a last resort for two main reasons:
1.  I've noticed in story threads for all three of the casts that some subset of the fanbase for each may be fanatically interested in that genre, but don't like the stories verging or stepping into the other genres.  That's especially true if a horror-like story steps into Escape Pod or Podcastle.  If, for instance, Pseudopod and Escape Pod combined, I think that some hardcore SF fans would not only be sad that they have 1/2 as many SF stories, but they would not want to listen to even those if they had to filter through the horror stories to get to them.
2.  Declining in product offerings can too easily encourage a downward spiral.  I don't think this is foregone conclusion by any means, but if the product were cut back by 1/3 I think that donations could drop by more than that as a result, which could leave you no better off than before.  I think that the approach taken in the metacast is a reasonable one--try to instigate donor action from the existing fanbase to get a shot of life, and also make plans to make the product even more awesome in the future by attracting new and awesome talent.
3.  I think that a better way to "cut back" would be to slightly decrease the frequency of episodes on one or more casts.  But again, that comes with the danger of causing a spiral, so would rather that not be a first resort.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #178 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:18 PM
Normally I avoid talking about money, donations, etc, because it makes me squirmy. 

But since this thread is all about money, since others have posted what they've donated, and maybe another example could help encourage others, I'll do the same in case it's helpful.

I decided to kick in a one-time donation, somewhat arbitrarily chosen at $140--half of the Escape Pod payment I received for my story there.  And I kicked in for $5 a month.  My PayPal account mostly exists as a place to catch editorial payments, and I mostly dip into it if I have the occasional writing expense or magazine subscription.  I've let my paid subscriptions to print magazines expire because I found I never found the time to read the damned things anyway.  But I do listen to podcasts every day on my commute, and so there's no reason I shouldn't just reroute that money to EA. 

Procyon

• Palmer
Reply #179 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:49 PM
Listened and subscribed.  It was cool to hear snippets of the other podcast hosts and editors -- I mostly listen to PodCastle due to time constraints and my own predilections.  Sad to hear that the financial straits are so dire, but I'm happy and able to do my part in supporting you all.  

I think part of the problem is that people are just sort of acclimated to podcasts being free.  Not being an expert (or even really a neophyte) at business and marketing and, like, spreadsheets containing dollar signs and numbers and a capitalized letter "Q", I can't really offer any insight on the matter of how best to get people to change their attitude on free stuff.  But I do have a great respect for the astonishingly high-quality work that's been done to produce these stories off of voluntary donations.  The fact that you are able to provide these stories for free, listenable by anyone who has a computer, at such a level of excellent without, say, plastering it all with irrelevant and intrusive advertising, is to be lauded.  Please keep up the good work, and I hope my subscription aids in that.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #180 on: October 24, 2013, 02:48:23 PM
Ergo, progress bars (while I think most of us agree they would be helpful for giving folks basic info about our status and concretizing goals) are a bit misleading.  Think in terms of getting to 700-800 subscribers rather than $42K for the year, if that makes sense.  ;-)

That's a good point!

It brings to mind Clarkesworld's fundraising drive of last year.  In that case it was something along the lines of "If we get X subscribers, then we will provide  you one more story each and every month."  I think X was something in the several hundred.  I think goals stated along those lines could give us listeners something to aim for, and would have the advantage of encouraging the KIND of donation that would be the most useful.

In addition, I think Clarkesworld has had some awesome donation incentives.  For instance, a print collection of some of their stories for something like $50 donation.  Even a story recording for one of your stories read by Kate Baker for something in the hundreds (only a few available of course, since Kate's time is not an unlimited resource).

suzume234

• Extern
Reply #181 on: October 24, 2013, 05:47:54 PM
Normally I avoid talking about money, donations, etc, because it makes me squirmy. 

I would usually agree, but I think in this case it is really nice to see an outpouring of love for my favorite three podcasts.

Yon

• Extern
Reply #182 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:06 PM
Hi,

A personal story of how EscapePod and its sister podcasts help me:

My firstborn has recently made his entry into this crazy world of ours, and I regularly sit with him in the dead of night for feedings. With both my hands holding him and my eyelids as heavy as bowling balls, I am not able to read to pass the time or watch a movie. EscapePod is the perfect solution. Now my son can sleep in my arms while I listen to Resnick, Silverberg, Liu, Kress, Rusch, and others, and rest my eyes at the same time. The perfect way for a new (and very tired) dad to relax.

I would hate to see this podcast end.

--End of Story, beginning of question--

As I am merely a lowly Israeli and not an American, I cannot use Dwolla. Regarding PayPal, is it true that they take 30 cents + a percentage from every monthly donation? If that's the case, a good deal of our subscription goes to them and not to EA. Is there a way for non-Americans to donate and have all, or nearly all, of the money get to EA?

Thanks.

p.s. made a small one time donation through Paypal, but would rather have my subscription not eaten up by them but get to EA.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #183 on: October 24, 2013, 07:24:51 PM
I was going to say "mail us a check" but then I recently had a friend in France agree to pay part of my storage fees in the US as he was using some of my space and we basically determined that it's almost impossible for money to transfer from other countries through banks (including fees on checks) without there being SOME transaction fee.  Moving money always seems to cost some money.  If you have relatives in the US you could have them mail us a check and repay them personally, maybe?  Paul will have a better answer, I'm sure.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #184 on: October 24, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
My firstborn has recently made his entry into this crazy world of ours, and I regularly sit with him in the dead of night for feedings. With both my hands holding him and my eyelids as heavy as bowling balls, I am not able to read to pass the time or watch a movie. EscapePod is the perfect solution. Now my son can sleep in my arms while I listen to Resnick, Silverberg, Liu, Kress, Rusch, and others, and rest my eyes at the same time. The perfect way for a new (and very tired) dad to relax.

Congratulations!  I'm a new dad too, my firstborn is almost 6 months old.  There is more sleep in your future!  We've just started to try to get him sleeping through the nights, and he's taken to it quite well--we haven't had to feed him before the alarm for almost 2 weeks now (Bliss!).

Best of happiness, and sound sleep in your future, to you and yours.

HP Hovercraft

• Extern
Reply #185 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:00 AM
Like the others, I can only apologise for having listened to Escape Pod and Pseudopod for so long without subscribing. Count me in. I don't want to see you guys go!

And to all the jerks who demand to know how the money is being spent before donating: well, if that's your general attitude to life, I pity you. These guys donate hours and hours and hours of their time every week to get you stories to listen to. If you can't be grateful, at least be silent.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #186 on: October 25, 2013, 08:54:07 AM
Hello HP Hovercraft - we appreciate your support.

We do not appreciate personal insults towards anyone.  Please observe The One Rule of the forums, and be civil and respectful in any future posts.

Carry on.

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #187 on: October 25, 2013, 11:17:08 AM
Hello HP Hovercraft - we appreciate your support.

We do not appreciate personal insults towards anyone.  Please observe The One Rule of the forums, and be civil and respectful in any future posts.

Carry on.

Bit harsh on HP, maybe? No, calling people jerks isn't ok but this is HP's first post. Don't really want it to be their last?

And while I'm here: HP - tone it down a tad, eh?

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

eytanz

Reply #188 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:01 AM
Ok, ok. Let's all take a step back here.

HP Hovercraft - thank you for your support, and welcome to the forums. However, as Occicat said, we do try to keep it civil here, and we try to avoid personal insults, no matter how much we disagree with someone else's position or post. So, please, no calling anyone jerks or saying that you pity them for their attitudes.

Everyone else, let's keep this thread for the important topic of the metacast, our individual responses to it - whether that involves supporting EA or not - and questions to the EA staff on how best to support the podcasts. Please, unless you are a moderator, no more meta-commentary on the validity of other people's posts.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #189 on: October 25, 2013, 02:20:57 PM
Awesome, they're restocked. My PseudoPod shirt is starting to develop holes.

Those holes aren't wear and tear, they are openings for tentacles to reach through from the Dungeon Dimensions and steal the sandwich you brought for lunch.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #190 on: October 25, 2013, 02:26:48 PM
But I notice now that PayPal has apparently added a feature that if you make a "one-time donation" you can ALSO choose to check a new box for "Make This Recurring (Monthly)".  So you can set up a recurring monthly payment of whatever-you-please as well.
That is VERY helpful, thanks!

Ha!  When I made that post I hadn't yet gotten to the posts in the thread specifically asking for this.  I was just excited to find it because I know it hadn't been there 3 or 4 months ago when I was setting up PayPal donation options for The Submissions Grinder.  :)

CaptNink

• Extern
Reply #191 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:56 PM
As soon as the Metcast was over, I signed up for a recurring monthly donation. Escape Artists have given me so much enjoyment since I discovered them a couple of months ago that I would be devastated if they were to go.

Thanks for the hours of entertainment! I'm glad to help out and I hope a lot of people do the same!

MarsGirl

• Extern
  • Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor not a critic!
Reply #192 on: October 25, 2013, 07:27:49 PM
Hi, all. I've been a long time Escape Pod listener. I've always meant to donate, but never got around to it. While I totally detest long episodes (ala NPR) of begging for money, after this last metacast, I relented at last and just today started a monthly subscription. Honestly--and I probably shouldn't admit this--I've been listening to this podcast long enough to appreciate it that I would pay a monthly subscription if you guys asked for one.

I listen to Escape Pod every time a new episode comes out. I feel like all the narrators and speakers are my own family. I would be very sad if the podcast had to end. Escape Pod has kept me from suffering boredom on long drives alone in the car and has put a bit of a kick into my step when exercising at the gym in the morning. It's my favorite podcast! It also introduced me to flash fiction, which I'd never heard of before!

Thanks, guys, for all that you do! This is my first post ever on this forum. Now that I have an account, maybe I'll go provide some episode feedback from now on.

I hope you get enough donations so we can keep listening to all these great stories!!

medicalmusings

• Extern
    • Me on Google+
Reply #193 on: October 27, 2013, 11:35:55 PM
Finally got around to paying up.
JUST KEEP GOING.........please!

NYCTom

• Extern
Reply #194 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:22 AM
Hi guys,

Like many of your fans, I keep coming back and back to this thread to be inspired by updates on contributions from new listeners, old listeners, and everyone in between.

I'd love to know how things have shaped up. Is there any chance we can get a quick update on the progress made thus far?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #195 on: October 28, 2013, 04:11:46 AM
it's coming... being recorded...

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #196 on: October 28, 2013, 06:25:06 PM
Whew, finally cleared my episode backlog and listened to this.
Wow.
I just have one question: besides my subscription, can I donate my time and skills?
My (relevant) skills include (but are not limited to):
  • Being able to stare at a computer monitor for hours on end while being able to manipulate my fingers.
  • Being able to read, write and debug most programming languages used by sane programmers.
  • Being able to listen and/or read a story, formulate an opinion and then let people know about said opinion in a coherent manner.
  • Being aware and open-minded enough to understand that people have their own opinions which may conflict with my own and being able to hold a civil discussion about those opinions.

Specific questions about anything above or something else can be directed to me via PM.
Have a good <Time_of_diurnal_period>.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #197 on: October 28, 2013, 07:45:05 PM
Hey guys...

Thanks for including an update in the most recent Podcastle on how the fundraising is going.  I'm really happy to know that you've doubled your subscribers, but don't know what this means in terms of whether you can keep going into 2014.  We'd love to know how close (or far away) we are to the goal.  One of the things that I love about Kickstarter is that there are obvious stated fund raising goals, and that I can check back and see how the projects I am backing are doing.  Public Radio is a little less transparent, but they will often have stated goals like: "We want 500 more subscribers!"  And then they will tell you how close they are to getting those subscribers. 

I don't need your raw numbers.  You can spend the money anyway you want to make the pods float.  I just want a better idea of the journey ahead.

Thanks,
Hmm

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #198 on: October 28, 2013, 07:50:49 PM
Hey guys...

Thanks for including an update in the most recent Podcastle on how the fundraising is going.  I'm really happy to know that you've doubled your subscribers, but don't know what this means in terms of whether you can keep going into 2014.  We'd love to know how close (or far away) we are to the goal.  One of the things that I love about Kickstarter is that there are obvious stated fund raising goals, and that I can check back and see how the projects I am backing are doing.  Public Radio is a little less transparent, but they will often have stated goals like: "We want 500 more subscribers!"  And then they will tell you how close they are to getting those subscribers. 

I don't need your raw numbers.  You can spend the money anyway you want to make the pods float.  I just want a better idea of the journey ahead.

Thanks,
Hmm

+1

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #199 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:01 PM
it's coming... being recorded... (2)