Author Topic: Escape Artists Metacast  (Read 83717 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #200 on: October 28, 2013, 09:43:20 PM
it's coming... being recorded... (2)

(I didn't know if the previous "being recorded" response was referring to the Podcastle mention or not)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #201 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:52 PM
I just have one question: besides my subscription, can I donate my time and skills?

Well, making the forum a pleasant place to be is, in fact, a big help.  Having a community of fans is a good thing, and not every venue can claim that.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #202 on: October 29, 2013, 01:45:00 PM
I just have one question: besides my subscription, can I donate my time and skills?

Well, making the forum a pleasant place to be is, in fact, a big help.  Having a community of fans is a good thing, and not every venue can claim that.

Here Hear! (Yes I mangled that on purpose because I somehow think it's funny)

When I started writing I'd regularly wander into and out of about a dozen forums, but these days I pretty much only visit this one and Codex.  The community here is awesome.  The moderation makes a huge difference in this, I think, as this is one of the few I've been to that moderates at exactly the right level--quickly moderating anything that's out of bounds (beginnings of flame wars and such), but allowing differing opinions and discussions to continue as long as they stick to the topic.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #203 on: October 29, 2013, 04:25:31 PM

(I didn't know if the previous "being recorded" response was referring to the Podcastle mention or not)

No, it wasn't. (At least I don't think it was.) But there's a minicast coming soon that'll explain where we are, and where we're going.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #204 on: October 29, 2013, 05:14:40 PM

No, it wasn't. (At least I don't think it was.) But there's a minicast coming soon that'll explain where we are, and where we're going.

Oh good, I'm glad. :) Because upon hearing the update in the PodCastle episode, my first thought was YAY!!! and my second was Hmm, I wonder if that's anywhere near enough? I'm crossing my fingers!

ungelic_is_us

• Extern
Reply #205 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:51 PM
I am a lurker extraordinaire, and also terrible at keeping up with my podcasts, but I wanted to let you guys know--I just finished listening to the metacast about 5 minutes ago, and then set up a $2 subscription. I wish it could be more, but I hope even that much will help. Goodness knows that your work is worth a great deal more than that. I've been enjoying the podcasts for years (mostly Podcastle and Pseudopod), in large part because the pods have been free. There were times when I couldn't even have contributed the small amount I have today, and your stories lifted me out of the grind, reliable little doses of escapism that I could always look forward to. Now that I have a little more, I'm pleased to give back. (I only regret that I didn't do so sooner.) Thank you.

Lone Mopper

• Extern
    • Lone Mopper Productions
Reply #206 on: October 30, 2013, 10:09:41 PM
All caught up now with the a load of stories from all 3

Then I cancelled my 2   $5 donations per month

and signed up for the $15 per month.  A devoted addict here, even set up a page on Facebook to help attract more listeners to these and other podcasts, you can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/590082307722752/

I labeled it:  Pod-Heads

The Lone Mopper

Crimson7

• Extern
Reply #207 on: November 02, 2013, 05:08:43 AM
OK ... long time listener, first time poster :)

I listened to the beginning of the metacast - the shock I felt as I heard that the EA Triad might close at the end of the year was quite revealing to me. As someone who spent a couple of years driving 3 hours a day through peak hour traffic and only my podcasts to make it tolerable, they have become an essential element in my life.

$5/month subscription seems only right - done.

Can I just add my voice to the others . . .

If you have ever thought that you "should" donate something - that's your conscience talking to you - you should follow it's advice.

badgerspoon

• Extern
Reply #208 on: November 02, 2013, 05:48:13 PM
I've enjoyed the stories. It only seems fair that I give something back.

I'm sure this has already been answered, but do I need to subscribe to each podcast individually or does money to any of them benefit the others?

eytanz

Reply #209 on: November 02, 2013, 05:50:02 PM

I'm sure this has already been answered, but do I need to subscribe to each podcast individually or does money to any of them benefit the others?

All the donations go to the same pot, you can subscribe only once for all three podcasts.

badgerspoon

• Extern
Reply #210 on: November 02, 2013, 05:53:36 PM

All the donations go to the same pot, you can subscribe only once for all three podcasts.

Thanks!  :)

Jen

• Palmer
Reply #211 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:03 AM
Hi guys, I'd like to reiterate a question asked a couple of pages back: would it be possible to donate/subscribe through Google Wallet? I don't really trust PayPal, and I'm not American so I can't use Dwolla.

I got a new job a month ago and I occasionally drive to work, and the podcasts keep me sane in the horrible traffic, I really want to contribute!

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #212 on: November 04, 2013, 12:57:17 PM
Hi guys, I'd like to reiterate a question asked a couple of pages back: would it be possible to donate/subscribe through Google Wallet? I don't really trust PayPal, and I'm not American so I can't use Dwolla.

I got a new job a month ago and I occasionally drive to work, and the podcasts keep me sane in the horrible traffic, I really want to contribute!

Jen (and others) -

Thank you, first of all, for your interest in contributing.

We don't currently have any other systems for accepting payment besides Paypal, checks and Dwolla.  None of us editors, forum moderators and other staff can set up new forms of payment acceptance.  The only one who can do that is Paul Haring.  I'm sure he's watching the thread (he set up the Dwolla account after people expressed interest) and investigating the cost and management overhead to Escape Artists of setting up things like Amazon payments and Google wallet.  However, it may require some patience before we get an answer as to whether these alternatives can be set up.  Thanks for expressing your interest, because I'm sure Paul is using the number of people who are asking for something as part of the decision making process. 

An alternate suggestion: In some countries, you can use your bank account's bill payments system to pay bills to an individual.  For example, I can set up my bank to send a check automatically to another individual (or company) on a recurring basis.  You can probably use EA's mailing address to do the same, if your account allows for that.  I'm not sure if that system is available for out of country payments, and it will vary from bank to bank and account type, but it might be worth looking into for your situation.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Dyalos

• Extern
Reply #213 on: November 05, 2013, 12:56:31 AM
I just wrote:

http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=7668.0

Apologies if this has been brought forward as an idea elsewhere in the forums in the past.

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #214 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:40 PM
Absolutely THRILLED to hear the new metacast just now. Good work to the EA team, and here's to the continuing health and growth of all three casts. :D Can't wait to see what you guys have planned for 2014.

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #215 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:35 PM
Can someone refresh my memory as to what the terms of the incentive actually are?  I am working on a draft of a proto-newsletter for the Submission Grinder in which I will mention the fundraiser.  But I am writing the newsletter at a location where I can't really play audio.  The TL;DR version says a lot of useful things very concisely but does not say the terms.

I THINK that the target date was November 30, and that anyone who has subscribed for at least $2/month by that date OR made a one-time donation of at least $50 gets some stories.  Is that correct?  Is it public information what the stories/authors are yet or is that meant to lend it an air of mystique?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #216 on: November 07, 2013, 08:30:18 PM
November 30th is the deadline for the premium content

All previous subscribers will get it.

Anyone who subscribes before November 30th will get it

Any one-off donation of $50 or more, from the time of the initial metacast until November 30th, will get it.

There will be at least 2 stories, maybe 3.  They have not been announced.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #217 on: November 07, 2013, 08:31:39 PM
November 30th is the deadline for the premium content

All previous subscribers will get it.

Anyone who subscribes before November 30th will get it

Any one-off donation of $50 or more, from the time of the initial metacast until November 30th, will get it.

There will be at least 2 stories, maybe 3.  They have not been announced.

Thank you!

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #218 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:18 PM
Anyone know if they can detect Dwolla subscriptions?  I'm not sure how the two systems (that and paypal) differ in this regard.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #219 on: November 08, 2013, 12:50:50 AM
I imagine that since Paul set up our Dwolla account, he'll know if people choose that option.  If it becomes an issue, drop us a line!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:35:57 AM by Sgarre1 »

pol

• Extern
Reply #220 on: November 08, 2013, 09:22:05 PM
Just so you guys know, I tried to do a recurring donation last night via paypal and got a "Sorry - Your last action could not be completed" error message. I tried again just now to see if it might have changed, but no dice, I got the same error. I could attach a screenshot if you want.

I am going to try Dwolla.  Have you guys checked into WePay.com as an alternative?  I really don't like PayPal or their business practices, but I do want to support the 'casts.

-p

Kwisin

• Extern
  • Kwisin Kumdo and Karma Tuning...
Reply #221 on: November 11, 2013, 05:47:13 PM
Hit the annual subscription... I'm posting this to say thanx and I really hope my little bit helps.

Ya know... whilst I'm sure you have considered it... you should poll the masses and see if'n a regular membership plan would work... $5 a month or one time $60 a year sounds reasonable... or would the additional administrative costs offset the income. Guess the first question to ask is would the unwashed masses rise to the occasion or would they just rise up and whine.

I'm bettin ya'll have asked these questions...  I'm just say'n art is not free... TNSTAAFL... but nobody walks by the free samples...

Along another line... how would one become a voice resource for Escape Artists???

Thanx again

Veni.... Vidi.... Velcro...
I came..
I saw....
I stuck around....

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #222 on: November 11, 2013, 05:53:44 PM
drop a query to editor@pseudopod.org and you'll be sent a form email with attached reading sample and questionnaire.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #223 on: November 11, 2013, 06:12:45 PM
I sent out a prototype edition of the planned newsletter for The Submission Grinder today to the 985 of our users (submitting writers at various stages of their careers) who have opted in.  The main stated purpose was to get feedback on what people would like to see in the newsletter, but a major secondary motive was to mention the Escape Artists fundraiser.  Once we get this newsletter properly going, there'll be a list of every week of new publication-related fundraisers that have come to our attention in hope of upping their visibility.  I wanted to get the proto-newsletter out sooner than later in the hopes that it would drive some traffic in your direction.

I hope it helps! 

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #224 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:23 PM
Thanks!