Author Topic: How best to support all three shows?  (Read 13890 times)

Grashtel

• Extern
on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:36 AM
The latest metacast has finally kicked me into deciding to donate (I've been meaning to for a while but never quite gotten around to it) and as I listen to and enjoy all three shows want to support all of them, so I would like to know the best way to do this so that Escape Artists gets the most benefit from it?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:19:14 AM
There's only one company; all the money goes in and is apportioned as necessary.  You support all three podcasts by supporting any of them.  ;-)

Grashtel

• Extern
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:35:29 AM
There's only one company; all the money goes in and is apportioned as necessary.  You support all three podcasts by supporting any of them.  ;-)
Coolies, I wasn't sure just how things worked and wanted to make sure

wossName

• Extern
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:37:03 PM
How are those alternative payment methods coming along? I would like to donate monthly, but rather not through the scumbags at Paypal. Of course, if alternatives are still many months away, I'm going to bite the bullet instead of not supporting Escape Pod.

Also, is buying discs from Pod Disc helpful? Or are you making little money there due to royalties or something like that?

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:07:39 PM
That comment, and probably others that would come up in this thread, is addressed here: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=7571.0

with this comment:

(I now have a job. And I will make use of the new option. ESPECIALLY if there is a PayPal alternative --- HATE HATE HATE Paypal)

You can send donations in via Dwolla.com.  Our number is 812-527-2340

tarmo

• Extern
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
I just noticed that my credit card that was in use in Paypal had expired. Or rather, I had to update its expiration date. But as I did that a bit late, all automatic payments were cancelled.

The metacast prompted me to subscribe again, with a $15 monthly fee.

A CRM tip to Escape Artists: periodically run through your subscriber database and for anyone that has cancelled, send a nice thank you email with a quick survey asking why they've stopped, and whether they'd like to resume or get reminded later (say, in 6 months). Or something like that.

dannman

• Extern
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:21:45 PM
Hi
New to the forums.
It's a little bit since I listened to the earlier podcast.  If I remember rightly there was a bit more obvious 'we want your donations' in the podcast (although it was an OK one).

I've live in Europe (England) like one of your other listeners who left a comment, so there'd be fees for conversion etc I think.  Also, I'm unemployed at the moment.  I'm trying to make a bit of money selling things on EBay and Amazon.
I'll see what I can do about a donation in January (Christmas presents and all that, as well as seeing how much money I make).

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:15:26 PM
If you can't donate (or even if you can) you can help out by spreading the word about the podcasts, giving reviews on iTunes, posting in your blogs, etc...

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:08:17 PM
another possible source for monetization, especially for those who might not like other methods of donating.

http://www.patreon.com/

and a link to a youtube video of the creator of the site (as well as 1/2 of the band Pomplamoose) talking about what it is and how it works.

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 05:05:36 PM
Yeah, that's what I was hoping would take off with Flattr (http://flattr.com). It's how the future should be. I'd love to ditch cable tv and then use $80 per month to give to everything I like. I hope more people come to this way of thinking because the current model rarely lets any web content creators rise above mediocrity.

wossName

• Extern
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 05:26:49 PM
Yeah, that's what I was hoping would take off with Flattr (http://flattr.com). It's how the future should be. I'd love to ditch cable tv and then use $80 per month to give to everything I like. I hope more people come to this way of thinking because the current model rarely lets any web content creators rise above mediocrity.
Flattr has worked very well for me so far (as a user) and they let you send regular payments. Has Escape Artists considered using Flattr?

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:37 PM
Not to my knowledge. It's a tough time to set up alternative payment systems at the moment, but I intend to press it more when the moment is right. ;)

rotheche

• Palmer
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 03:15:14 AM
Okay, y'all got me.  I've been off podcasts for a few months (I don't have anywhere near the listening time I used to) so I missed the metacast when it came out, but I've subscribed now.

tjflyguy

• Extern
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 06:02:05 PM
I am totally lost in this forum.

I am trying to find out about current promotions (they mentioned something on the podcast about getting something special if set up before the end of January 2015) and a way to buy pod disks with many older episodes for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, my reader is set up to delete after listening so I can't listen to the episode again. As I try to search the internet for clues, I find they are few.

This forum appears to be semi-abandoned, with little after 2013 and no 2015 posts - did you move elsewhere, is it slow or am I interpreting it incorrectly? Are you in a different medium? If so, where are the breadcrumbs leading me there?

I want to offer something mroe after listening for a few years, but can't figure out how to find the information.

I wonder if I am a common demographic?

TJ

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:05:05 PM by tjflyguy »

eytanz

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 06:16:30 PM
The forum is far from abandoned, though most of the activity is centered in the story comment threads (and in the writing critique group but that isn't visible unless you ask to join it). Discs can be bought at poddisc.com. The current promotion is that everyone who donates over $50 as a one-off or sets up a monthly donation for any amount, and is based in the USA will get a bonus story by Joe Hill. There will be more promotions soon but they haven't been announced.

Hope this helps - do feel free to post if you have more questions :)

tjflyguy

• Extern
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 06:23:28 PM
 :) Thanks, very helpful!

tjflyguy

• Extern
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 06:41:44 PM
However, one other thing: I stumbled on the podcast site that belongs to EA, and went through the whole process of ordering disks including putting in all my PayPal information.

It accepted it all the way through and then at the end, choked out an "internal error" message. Going to the forum it seems to say it has been closed for a long time.

If it is no longer active, why is it still out there and accepting input? It should have a "sorry" message or something, shouldn't it?

Is there a secondary market for the podcast collections? I would prefer buying a collection from EA but if they aren't selling them...?

Geeze, I didn't think it would take so much effort to support EA!  Thanks for any assistance.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 08:08:29 PM
Hi there:)

Could you PM me the email address you're happy being contacted at? I'll then put you in contact with Arri at Poddisc. It is still active and I'm really sorry you've had difficulty with the site. But I'll put you in contact with Arri and he'll help you sort it out.

BookWorm

• Extern
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 11:53:02 AM
I also would like to be able to buy the disc sets in order to support Escape Artists. I have enjoyed productions from each of the shows over the years. and would love to be able to support them when I can. I don't feel comfortable with using Paypal or Dwolla. I used to have a Paypal account but the card that was on it is expired and Dwolla wants too much information such as my social and a copy of my driver's license. I am not comfortable putting that much identity information out there given the problems with identity theft that seems to be more prevalent today. I already experienced my own personal horror story with that about 10 years ago, bank account emptied, etc., etc.. Ideally I would love to subscribe on a monthly basis, as you have said that is what benefits Escape Artists most, but right now the payment options just are not appealing at all because of my (perhaps paranoiac) feelings of releasing that much info online anymore. I will mail a check for the one off donation today though and hope to find out more about the disc sets for each program.  Cheers to you all and good luck with the fund raising. What you all do is very important and I would love to see it continue.

“There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect, and once in a while man's evil prying calls them just within our range.”
― H.P. Lovecraft, The Thing on the Doorstep