Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361497 times)

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #250 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:02 AM
  I just decided to join the boards when I heard about the new Flash Fiction contest. I missed the deadline for the EP contest by one day (waa...) but at least I got writing again. Now I eagerly read everyone's entries.

Psst:

Actually, Escape Pod contest starts on July 5th.  I'm still accepting stories until July 4th, midnight Pacific Daylight Time.

And welcome.  :)

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

DToland

• Matross
  • Imagine Tomorrow - Bring it to life.
Reply #251 on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:54 AM
Hello, fellow Pod People.

I'm an as yet unpublished writer in my second half century.  I am a software engineer by profession, and a scientist by training.  Most of what I write is science fiction, but I dabble in other genres as well.

A friend told me about this site, and the Escape Pod Flash Competition, so I decided to join.

-Dave

(PS - If you believe you recognize me from elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if you please keep it to yourself.  Thanks.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:15:02 AM by DToland »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #252 on: July 07, 2010, 01:10:20 AM
Welcome, Dave!  And good luck in the contest... just so long as you don't edge out my stories.

Seraphim

• Matross
Reply #253 on: July 08, 2010, 04:20:07 AM
I just signed up recently having learned of Escape Pod by way of Dead Robot Society by way of Raygun Revival.  I saw the contest and it piqued my interest...so I started reading the forums, being who I am was soon enough chiming in with my earnest, heartfelt, and utterly unsolicited opinions.

Otherwise I'm an over 50 English teacher and occasional technical writer from the deep South with aspirations of literary nichedom. Generally speaking I'm an amiable curmudgeon. Innovation and individualism are way overrated in the creative arts in my book...much more the fan of traditional forms in the hands of those who master them. What I like to see is creative self-negation rather than self-expression.  This is not to say I never appreciate novelty, but I appreciate it more when done by those who have mastered the traditional....basically until you can awe me with a sonnet, or grip me with a narrative told in iambic hexameter, don't bore me with self-indulgent free verse.  See, I told you I'm a curmudgeon...I really am.

The test I apply to my own writing above and beyond all proofreading is to read it aloud, over and over and over...and if I don't hear music in the words, or if the cadence and flow of any part jar me I won't like it, and have to fix it, or at least try to.

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #254 on: July 09, 2010, 04:06:48 AM
  I just decided to join the boards when I heard about the new Flash Fiction contest. I missed the deadline for the EP contest by one day (waa...) but at least I got writing again. Now I eagerly read everyone's entries.

Psst:

Actually, Escape Pod contest starts on July 5th.  I'm still accepting stories until July 4th, midnight Pacific Daylight Time.

And welcome.  :)

Thank you very much! I managed to submit in time :)

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #255 on: July 12, 2010, 10:05:35 PM
Hey all. 

I'm an unemployed (hopefully soon to change) 33 y.o. research biochemist/chemical engineer down here in Atlanta who grew up in the midwest.  My hobby is collecting truly atrocious (as well as genuinely good) horror movies, subjecting my friends to them, and dabbling around the edges of other genres.  I came to escape artists through an article on podcasts (in Rue Morgue) pointing me to Pseudopod, and caught up on all the sci-fi and fantasy as well because I'm an obsessive completist.  Been following them all for quite a while now (good for working at the more boring procedures under the hood) but didn't visit the boards until the recent flash contest.

I'd like to write more, but always seem to have my free time stolen from me.  Stupid gnomes.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #256 on: July 13, 2010, 12:34:52 AM
Oh fine. Since MCW finally showed up here I suppose I should say "hi" officially. I am 34yo anesthesiologist here in sunny California. Most of you that are reading the flash contest already know a lot of that from me having a Major Grousing Attack on occasion. I found Escape Pod and then Pod Castle via a friend at work who caught me reading Asimov's. Not listening to Psuedopod because I'm that person, that still, after all this time puts her hands over her eyes or hides behind the couch at certain scenes in almost all horror films. I have never seen all of Silence of the Lambs, for instance.

I have always wanted to write and I am trying to wedge it into my life right now. The Flash Contest has been a great set of training wheels, although, to my horror, I have realized that all that excellent English that I learned in college and before, has been shoved clean out of my head by Medical Knowledge. Although I'm sure my patients are grateful for this, I still want to bang my head against the desk every time Scattercat mentions the past perfect tense, or any other tense for that matter. What the Hell are Those?

Nice to meet you all. Really. I have been a closeted Geek for so long that this is like the biggest breath the real me has ever taken.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #257 on: July 26, 2010, 07:53:41 PM
I have always wanted to write and I am trying to wedge it into my life right now. The Flash Contest has been a great set of training wheels, although, to my horror, I have realized that all that excellent English that I learned in college and before, has been shoved clean out of my head by Medical Knowledge. Although I'm sure my patients are grateful for this, I still want to bang my head against the desk every time Scattercat mentions the past perfect tense, or any other tense for that matter. What the Hell are Those?

Well, those training wheels certainly worked out well for you, didn't they?   ;D

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #258 on: July 26, 2010, 08:28:19 PM
I'm a 19 year old English major from Montana. I study lit, and I'm thinking about getting into education and becoming a K-12 librarian. I may also get some kind of CS minor.

I write a little bit, mostly poetry, and a few bad short stories. I'm better at criticizing other people's writing. As they say "those who can't write are bitter and are overly critical of those who can".

Then you should join the Critique Group!  Talk to Heradel about getting in.  For the longest time, Listener and I were really lonely in there (except for cherished visits from eytanz), but we've gotten three or four new people just from the PodCastle contest!

And by talk to me you should Private Message me with the header reading something like "I want to join the crit group". (Look to the left of the text you're reading right now, under the avatar of my eye (It is blue, and has a bit of my nose and entirety of my left eyebrow) there will be an icon of a speech balloon that you can click that will bring up the private message dialog).

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #259 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:51 AM
I am not new, but since I was gone for a while, I figured I may as well post here.  I went by Zathras, left, and returned.  The details are in old threads, and that is as much of that mess that I want to dredge up.  I am a small business owner and am actively expanding my company.  While I will normally come across as a goof or just plain angry, I am capable of more insightful conversation.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #260 on: August 05, 2010, 04:42:08 PM
I am not new, but since I was gone for a while, I figured I may as well post here.  I went by Zathras, left, and returned.  The details are in old threads, and that is as much of that mess that I want to dredge up.  I am a small business owner and am actively expanding my company.  While I will normally come across as a goof or just plain angry, I am capable of more insightful conversation.
Welcome back, dude.  I'm looking forward to reading your feedback on the most recent batch of episodes.  You were missed :)

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #261 on: August 07, 2010, 01:55:08 AM
Thanks.  I've got to catch up.  I've been a bit preoccupied with audio books lately and am way behind on my podcasts. 

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

KillerWhalen

• Extern
  • A man, a plan, a canal, Rideau!
    • Movies, Malaise, Miscellania
Reply #262 on: September 06, 2010, 03:40:53 PM
Hey folks!

I've been listening to the three Escape Artists podcasts for about a year now so I think it's about time I joined up with you splendid people on the forums.

Here's a few things about me to get you on the right track:

I'm a high school student from Ottawa, Ontario, the world capitol of boring.

My interests include long walks on oil covered beaches, reading disturbing novels to senior citizens and playing Goalie Bowling (which is very similar to road hockey, the only difference is you don't shout out "car!").

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you guys better as we explore the forums...but lets not dig to deep, alright? Lest we disturd the Balrog.

I just don't get it.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #263 on: September 06, 2010, 04:08:35 PM
Welcome, KillerWhalen

It's always nice to have new faces and opinions here!

And hey, you joined just in thime to help us decide the winners in the Escape Pod Flash Ficition contest.  Go Vote!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

KillerWhalen

• Extern
  • A man, a plan, a canal, Rideau!
    • Movies, Malaise, Miscellania
Reply #264 on: September 06, 2010, 04:16:59 PM
I did, thanks for the heads up!

I just don't get it.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #265 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:33 AM
Hey folks! I've been listening to the three Escape Artists podcasts for about a year now so I think it's about time I joined up with you splendid people on the forums.

Welcome! And what you said about the Balrog above -- as printed, I certainly don't want that.

kevinupstairs

• Extern
    • My Twitter
Reply #266 on: September 14, 2010, 09:01:50 AM
As your newest member I felt it was my duty to introduce myself. Hello, I'm kevinupstairs.
Having done that, I should point out that it is now your duty as responsible and courteous hosts to shower me with gifts of moderate value and sentiment.

While I'm waiting for those, I'll state for the record that I'm a great fan of classic science-fiction and some fantasy. Jack Vance tops my list of favorite authors and I'll say no more about that. For now.
I've been listening to Escape Pod and Pod Castle for about a year now, and although it's not in my nature to be lavish with praise, I feel I can make the rare exception for these two podcasts. They're not bad.

It seems I'm needed elsewhere for now, so I'll just leave this caravan of empty wagons for your gift distribution convenience. I trust you will fill them quickly, as the caravan-master is known to be testy and has on occasion been known to feed those who delay him to the pack-dragons. I hope to meet many of you on the forums proper, and please don't take anything I say too seriously :)

Excerpted From The Book of All Knowledge: The Living Word of kevinupstairs Circa 3087pgt

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #267 on: September 14, 2010, 09:41:07 AM
[pours these into kevinupstairs' empty wagons: shiny beads, scrap metal parts, aspirin, whiskey, dragon bones, glass, plastic baggies, popcorn, dead batteries, Geordie's discarded VISOR, an out-of-contract Android phone, broken Wii nunchucks]

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #268 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30:32 PM
Ahh... introductions.
*Stands up*
My name is Max and I'm an Escape Artists listener.
*Sits down*

I'm a college student, going for a B.Sc. in computer science.
I like scifi and fantasy, I've been reading it for as long as I can remember, and my mother tells me even a little longer than that.
I'm a proud geek. I have an internet tablet that I always carry around with me, and yes, I've hacked it. (Sort of. All the software is open source, so "hacked" is probably the wrong word. But I made it do things the vendor did not intend.)
I have two strong beliefs:
I believe in open source and freedom of information. I believe that there is no such thing as intellectual property, and that by sharing information with others we actually make our own ideas better, grander, and help to touch more people. The whole (in this case, any community of people that grew up around an idea, program, operating system, story, alternate and imaginative universe...) is far, far greater than the sum of its parts, and only narrow-minded and/or greedy people think otherwise. Of course the reciprocal of this is that we, as part of the community, need to help in any way, form or fashion that we can. It's not fair only to take (and unhealthy) you need to give too.
I also believe that the solution to most problems is to make a joke and lighten the atmosphere. I don't treat life as if it were a big joke, but I do find the funny part in every situation. (Of course, when seriousness and graveness are required I respect that)

That being said, I also like to dabble in everything. Anything that catches my fancy, I try.
Of course, there things I enjoy more than others. I very much like to cook, and I'm not afraid to try new things. They tell me I'm good at it, and I tend to agree.
I like to write. (Obviously, just look at how long this post is!) The thing is, I need a serious motivation to write anything more than 10,000 words. After some point I lose interest. But the stories still clamor to get out. So I write in fits and starts.
I very much enjoy computer work, and am teaching myself things that fall beyond the scope of my degree.
Anything else?
Yes.
I despise the whole Facebook/Twitter thing. I think that FB is an invitation to invade your own personal privacy and something that if done for the right reasons (like keeping in touch with people, but there are other ways...) then it is to be done carefully. Unfortunately most people fail to do so, and it hurts me. Watching self destructive behavior in otherwise (what I hope to be) rationally minded people is just painful.
And Twitter is just plain stupid.
Also, I probably should not have written this so late at night.

So that's me. In a nutshell.
Nutcase?

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

ChristianB

• Extern
Reply #269 on: October 01, 2010, 05:05:22 AM
Is this where I comment to get the free audio stories?  :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #270 on: October 01, 2010, 05:18:52 AM

Nope.

You get two more guesses before the gremlins come.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #271 on: October 01, 2010, 06:23:41 AM

Heya! Welcome!

This is the thread you're looking for :)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #272 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:14 AM

Heya! Welcome!

This is the thread you're looking for :)

Pfft.  Way to take all the fun out of it.  How will they learn to fend for themselves if you make it so easy?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #273 on: October 01, 2010, 06:35:05 AM
Hrm. Good point, Scattercat.

This is not the thread you're looking for.

astyanax

• Extern
Reply #274 on: October 06, 2010, 02:23:01 AM
Hi everyone. Long time listener/first time caller here. So I'm new around here. I'm quiet and pretty much a creepy lurking type, but if anyone cares to know here's a little about me. I'm a 30 year old single dad from New York state. I like all kinds of SF. I don't need stories to "say something" or have a message but I also don't mind when they do. EscapePod was my first podcast and I owe you them for exposing me to all of the great shows that have become a necessity in my daily life. My job involves an excessive amount of driving so podcasts are sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane. Nice to finally be involved on here.