Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361708 times)

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #50 on: December 12, 2007, 10:25:57 PM
I never saw this thread when I started lurking around the forum, but I suppose I should go ahead and intro myself.
I've been reading for a few months, but didn't actually register until right before the server swap, so I had to re-register.
I'm 30-ish, living near Atlanta, with my lovely wife.  We have two daughters and two cats.
I'm a big fan of what George R.R. Martin calls "weird stuff", so I listen to both Pseudopod and Escape Pod.  I'm also holding my breath for Podcastle.
I like to write when I can, but I don't have any great aspirations.  Aside from that, I have no interesting hobbies and my vocation is better left undescribed.  I like to make lame jokes that I think are funny, but aren't.  I love the sound of my own voice, and this translates nicely to the written word.  Please feel free to skip/ignore my posts, as I am very long-winded.  ;D

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 06:05:48 PM
Wow, I should have posted here a long time ago.  I'm a 27 year old aerospace engineer from West Michigan.  I spend most of my free time boring my wife by talking about the latest engineering problem at work (she teaches 6th graders and is pretty bored by engineering).  I also volunteer for Junior Achievement and SAE's "A World In Motion" to bring math and science as it applies to engineering into the classroom.  If any teachers are out there and interested in free kits for their classes check out www.awim.org.
Some would call me a "gun nut", but I am not a fan of that term.  It's very one-dimensional.  I just like to be prepared for zombie invasion and for when the King of England tries to take back the colonies.  I'm a Libertarian, but realize that there will never be a Libertarian president.  I was told by the head of the West Michgan LP that I should run for local office, but I have no interest in that at all.  Mostly because I would be afraid that I would win.  I own the world's smartest dog.  She almost knows how to make coffee for me in the morning...from unground beans.  I have a beautiful wife to whom I've been married for almost two years.  I hate it when people say "very unique" because something can't be very one of a kind.  I especially hate grammatical errors in advertisements. 
I have loved Sci-fi since my dad turned me on to ST:TNG as a kid.  Since then I have embraced most forms of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror.  I love EP and PP because I get the pleasure of great fiction without the hassle of reading.  My ipod just pumps the delicious fiction straight into my brain.
Okay, that's enough rambling.  This is one of the nicest forums I've seen and I have really enjoyed my time here so far. 

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #52 on: February 11, 2008, 03:16:52 AM
guess I might as well join in to lol

I am a college student at OSU ( the OK one not one of the other 3 or 4 )
my first real SF reading was Tom Swift,  then a few years later I moved on to Asimov's foundation and some of his other stuff
then I was introduced to the wonderful world of Douglas Adams ( my favorite by far)

I found escape pod while looking for some podcasts I found Nightfall and decided to check out some of the rest

I have listened to most of the ons available from Itunes and some of the EP classics as well
have not had the time yet to go back into the archives so if you have any suggestions from there let me know

also since I drive about 1.5 hrs a day I am looking for new stuff alot so if there are other good podcasts/ books I would welcome segestions there as well

thanks Steve you put up some great stuff   

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #53 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:39 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that some of our new members will take a moment to introduce themselves.

O HAI, IS stePH ;D

Male, Portland Oregon USA, pushing 40.  Married going on 4 years, no kids (ever), no dogs (yet), five cats.

Got the iPod Christmas 2006; it was a point of pride that I never had any music on it (until last Christmas when the wife wanted a Christmas mix in the rental car when we drove up to my family's in Seattle.)  Escape Pod was the first podcast I started listening to when I found it through podcast.com, and since I was into stuffing the 'Pod with audiobooks I picked right up on it.  I started with downloading the whole backlog and listening to them in sequence; I think I finally caught up around June or July last year.

I don't get that much time to listen of late.  Mostly it's during my lunch hour at work, and sometimes about 15-30 minutes at bedtime. (speaking of which, it's about bedtime now.  'night.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #54 on: February 11, 2008, 07:14:02 AM
I'm probably most famous for founding the Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide.

That was you? Ha!

A few years ago our town was debating whether or not to fluoridate our water supply. I'm quite comfortable with the idea, but I had no strong feelings either way. Anyway, the chorus started---apparently the fluoride containing compound is known to be toxic in certain quantities, is sourced from industrial waste, and so on. I thought this line of argumentation was ridiculous. The same arguments can be made of water.

I wrote a letter to the town paper, alerting the town to another diabolical chemical that is added to our water supply in order to assist the flow of water in the pipes --- Dihydrogen monoxide. I listed a lot of the terrible effects and associations it had, along with a few little gems from your site.  A few days later I followed it up, exposing DHMO for what it is. Funnily enough, the follow up seemed to turn even more people against DHMO (and, in the process, fluoride.)

Well. The fun didn't stop there. The newspaper got a few queries about it, so they followed it up with the Water Board. It turned out that the CEO of the Water Board had read my letter and was about to launch a full review of all additives in the town water supply. Eventually his chief engineer twigged to what was going on, and the paper got a rather amusing story they didn't expect.

And I won a pen for writing 'the Letter of the Week!'

Oh, back to the regularly scheduled topic.

I live in Colac, in Victoria, Australia. (If anyone watches Neighbours, that's where the Timmins family come from!) I came to EP via boingboing a year or so ago. Around about the same time I discovered Asimov's and Analog and I remembered my love affair with Sci-fi and Fantasy when I was around about the same age as my oldest daughter. It seems adolescence and adulthood got in the way of my childhood, and now I'm doing what I can to catch up!

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 06:04:16 PM
I'm probably most famous for founding the Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide.

That was you? Ha!

A few years ago our town was debating whether or not to fluoridate our water supply. I'm quite comfortable with the idea, but I had no strong feelings either way. Anyway, the chorus started---apparently the fluoride containing compound is known to be toxic in certain quantities, is sourced from industrial waste, and so on. I thought this line of argumentation was ridiculous. The same arguments can be made of water.

Cool story!  I love the paranoia about flouride and how you turned it on its ear with the other chemical. 

The podcast Skeptiod tackled the flouride controversy last year.  Its a good listen if anyone is interested.  You can find it at skeptoid.com - it is episode #58: Flouridation: Death from the Faucet!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008, 11:51:13 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that some of our new members will take a moment to introduce themselves.
Can you pin this to the top of the forums?
Stickied! :)
(ha i didnt know i could sticky things!)
And a very merry welcome to our new forumites!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #57 on: February 13, 2008, 11:14:53 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I didn't see any kind of "new people say 'hi' here" area.

Obviously I'm a newb ...

Hey, what the heck happened?  We aren't n00bs any more!  We're all growed up!   :D

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Veronica

• Extern
Reply #58 on: February 22, 2008, 01:56:03 AM
Hello everyone, I'm jumping in here a little late in the game I know, but I wanted to introduce myself and get over my cybershyness.  I wrote one post a long while back and had a mini-heart attack when Steve quoted me in the feedback section...lucky first foray into forum interaction.  Anyway, I am a junior at university in VA studying social science, originally from LI, NY, but at this point I've spent half my life here in VA.  I have been a voracious reader my whole life, drifting in and out of the sf&f genres, but recently I have re-fallen in love with them.  Listening to EP and PP has saved my sanity these past months since I discovered them, as I listen to ease the monotony of the database management job that is putting me through school.  Good to meet you all (:

"Mr. Roark, we’re alone here. Why don’t you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

"But I don’t think of you."

bad_andy

• Palmer
Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 06:17:35 AM
Hi, everybody. ("Hi, Dr. Nick!")

I'm a Sci Fi geek from Memphis, TN who's now living in Omaha, NE. I'm a programming student in my early thirties so it goes without saying that I'm a giant Monty Python fan who read all the Hitchhiker's books and played D&D in high school and who now feels utterly vindicated for being an old school nerd by the rise of the internet, thank you very much. I'm a former Christian and an Atheist and if you're not that's cool too. For the last two Decembers in a row, I've watched Firefly all the way through and finished with Serenity, just so I can get mad at Fox all over again. It still hurts every time
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:25:37 AM by bad_andy »

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #60 on: March 10, 2008, 10:04:01 AM
Curse you, Fox!!  Curse you, death of

Russell Nash

Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 07:06:47 PM
That was just about the most complete introduction I've ever read. 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 12:23:58 AM
We're all growed up!   :D

Speak for yourself! ;P

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Drabbler

• Extern
Reply #63 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09:03 AM
I am new to podcasts and found this one through Drabblecast.  This is AWESOME!  I have loved science fiction for a long time and think it is so great to see such discussion going on and a community like this.  After listening checking out the metacast it looks like a good time to start listening to Escapepod.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #64 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:13 AM
I am new to podcasts and found this one through Drabblecast.  This is AWESOME!  I have loved science fiction for a long time and think it is so great to see such discussion going on and a community like this.  After listening checking out the metacast it looks like a good time to start listening to Escapepod.

It's always a good time to start listening to Escapepod!  Welcome, and start listening all you like.  :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #65 on: March 13, 2008, 04:15:04 PM

Good to have you here!

bad_andy

• Palmer
Reply #66 on: March 15, 2008, 07:25:56 PM
Curse you, Fox!!  Curse you, death of
Thanks for the link TAD. I had no idea that what I was doing obsessively from age 3 to 6 was called "Dino Therapy".

That was just about the most complete introduction I've ever read. 

Too much? Sorry. [Simpsons reference] I'm just so happy to see so many nice people.[/Simpsons reference]  ;)

Welcome Drabbler!

BTW, speaking of great geek podcasts, have any of you checked out Tank Riot?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 07:52:29 PM
BTW, speaking of great geek podcasts, have any of you checked out Tank Riot?
Tank Riot?
What's it about?

bad_andy

• Palmer
Reply #68 on: March 15, 2008, 08:11:15 PM
Tank Riot?
What's it about?
http://www.tankriot.com/ Tank Riot is three industrial strength geeks from Minneapolis sitting around a microphone and talking about something really interesting. Each episode covers a different subject. The two episodes I've listened to covered the life and works of Douglas Adams and Nicola Tesla, respectively. I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes. The episode about Stanley Kubrick is in my playlist right now. The archives apparently include everything from Philip K Dick to the Year in Music to Star Trek Fan Films to Political History.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #69 on: March 23, 2008, 04:44:37 AM
Hi.  My name's Boggled Coriander.  At least, that's what it says on my birth certificate.  I discovered Escape Pod late last year, and discovered these forums two weeks ago.  And registered today.

My hobbies include listening to Pseudopod archives, now that I've finished the Escape Pod archives and I have to wait for new episodes every week like everybody else.  Once I'm done with Pseudopod I plan to move on to the Drabblecast archives, and who knows where I'll go from there.  I really like the whole "fiction podcast" idea.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #70 on: March 23, 2008, 08:35:59 PM
Hi.  My name's Boggled Coriander.  At least, that's what it says on my birth certificate.  I discovered Escape Pod late last year, and discovered these forums two weeks ago.  And registered today.

My hobbies include listening to Pseudopod archives, now that I've finished the Escape Pod archives and I have to wait for new episodes every week like everybody else.  Once I'm done with Pseudopod I plan to move on to the Drabblecast archives, and who knows where I'll go from there.  I really like the whole "fiction podcast" idea.
Welcome Bog! May I call you bog?
As you aren't swamped with podcasts, may I suggest The Voice Of Free Planet X (planetx.libsyn.com), and Decoder Ring Theater (decoderring.libsyn.com)?

Russell Nash

Reply #71 on: March 23, 2008, 09:46:23 PM

As you aren't swamped with podcasts, may I suggest The Voice Of Free Planet X (planetx.libsyn.com), and Decoder Ring Theater (decoderring.libsyn.com)?

Decoder Ring Theater is a must listen, but I dropped Planet X after he went to the everyday podcast.  It seemed that he didn't care what he was 'casting as long as he got something out.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #72 on: March 23, 2008, 10:34:23 PM

Now, that's just not called for!  He didn't cumin here to have you make fun of his name, you know.  I don't want to chive you for something I've done myself, but there was no need for you to pepper him with those kinds of puns.  And it's such a stretch, pinching out the first syllable like that.  You won't curry any favor by ignoring the other key ingredients of his identity.

Sheesh... someone ought to punch your cardamom for you.

(Hope I don't sound like a nutmeg.)

Russell Nash

Reply #73 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:45 AM
Quote from: Tango Alpha Delta link=topic=76.msg22646#
(Hope I don't sound like a nutmeg.)

You usually do.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 04:08:16 AM
My eyes somehow consistently skipped over this thread for weeks (I just joined the forums about three weeks ago). Anyway, I can't remember exactly when I started listening to EP, but it was sometime last year, I think. I don't (or haven't started) listening to PP, just 'cause... well, I really don't have a valid reason, other than I just never considered horror as "my thing" (though I have read a few books, and I enjoy the occasional horror flick). I should try it out. I'm really looking forward to PC. I generally describe my tastes in the F/SF arena as I enjoy to reading fantasy and watching sci-fi. Admittedly, I haven't read that many of the "greats" in sci-fi, and that's partly because the few sci-fi books I read were written by the definitely-not-greats, so that probably negatively colored my opnion of it. I loved Dune, however, so much so, in fact, that I would credit Herbert as being an influence on my writing style. Oh, I have read a Heinlein book or two (The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land). I remember enjoying them, but wasn't blown away.

I'm 37, married to a wonderful woman, have one precious son (19 months old) and a precious dog, too (our first "child"). I'm from Mississippi, a Mac guy, a Christian, and I love games (of all kinds: board, video, card, etc.).

BTW, I've very recently and inexplicably gotten my interest in D&D reignited (was it Gygax's death?), but I have no one here that I know of to get involved in a game. Any NE MS RPGers here? Feel free to send me a PM.

(too much information?)
<edit: couldn't remember the 2nd Heinlein book; Thanks Winter>
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:18:20 PM by birdless »