Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361496 times)

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #75 on: March 25, 2008, 02:32:59 PM
Now, that's just not called for!  He didn't cumin here to have you make fun of his name, you know.  I don't want to chive you for something I've done myself, but there was no need for you to pepper him with those kinds of puns.  And it's such a stretch, pinching out the first syllable like that.  You won't curry any favor by ignoring the other key ingredients of his identity.

Sheesh... someone ought to punch your cardamom for you.

(Hope I don't sound like a nutmeg.)
Gaah!  The evil I unleashed.  Some sage advice beforehand and I could have prevented such punnery... this thyme.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #76 on: March 25, 2008, 04:37:02 PM
Now, that's just not called for!  He didn't cumin here to have you make fun of his name, you know.  I don't want to chive you for something I've done myself, but there was no need for you to pepper him with those kinds of puns.  And it's such a stretch, pinching out the first syllable like that.  You won't curry any favor by ignoring the other key ingredients of his identity.

Gaah!  The evil I unleashed.  Some sage advice beforehand and I could have prevented such punnery... this thyme.
Don't let TAD rub you the wrong way, he isn't trying to pestle you.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Sentient puddle

• Extern
Reply #77 on: March 25, 2008, 06:06:31 PM
Hello to all the other fans of Escape Pod out there, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd come on in with a big smile and hand-shakes all around for those who share my passion for good stories, as well as a well deserved tip of my hat to our Captain Steve (as I've heard him referred to many times). I travel for work and actually look forward to those 4 and 5 hour drives with my iPod nestled in the center console with Escape Pod burbling through the car speakers, expanding my world one story at a time.

I have been considering donating to Escape Pod and I think I will, especially after hearing what Steve is giving of himself so that I can have my free download (Metacast #3). My suggestion is that if you enjoy the stories every week end have the resources so should you.

Thanks again Steve and I look forward to seeing all of you on the forums.

(for more info on my forum name go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams#Sentient_puddle )

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #78 on: March 26, 2008, 02:20:04 AM

I thought about this exchange the whole time I was listening to EP150.  So, yes, my brain is a punishment that fits its own crimes.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #79 on: March 26, 2008, 04:22:00 PM

I thought about this exchange the whole time I was listening to EP150.  So, yes, my brain is a punishment that fits its own crimes.
Lucky you. Now Geronamid won't have to intervene.

6th replicant

• Extern
Reply #80 on: April 04, 2008, 09:01:50 AM

I'm a 42 year old geek dad, British living in Spain and working in India.

Just discovered escape pod a couple of weeks back and have been listening non stop ever since.

I love SF and always have done but I've gone off fantasy in recent years. My only complaint about SF is that there is not enough of it :-)

I have too many favorite authors to mention but here are a few of the best in no particular order

Iain (M) Banks
Peter F Hamilton
David Zindell
Richard Morgan
Dan Simmons

I would really like to write something, there are only two things stopping me. A total lack of talent and no idea's!

I'm looking forward to taking part in the forums but don't expect me to be too critical because so far I have enjoyed everything.

BFN

Replicant.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #81 on: April 04, 2008, 09:54:15 AM
I thought I'd intorduce myself because I haven't been active here for quite a while and none of the new faces around would know me. I joined initially about a year ago I think.

I'm a 32 yr old Aussie living in Berlin, Germany. I'm a biochemist/structural biologist by training and experience, although I only do that on a freelance basis now (which is a damn good gig if you can get it). Other than that I do freelance writing, have a small business in a completely unrelated field and am now turning my hand to fiction. Because, like, no SF fan EVER wants to write. I'm all unique like that.

I'm married to a German, which leads to hours of entertainment of the "WHAT did you just say?" and "Man, you have the worst sense of humor" variety. My dog is one of the ugliest in the world and doesn't like other dogs. I'm thinking of trying to get him into the movies.

I met Russell Nash through this forum and now get to play poker at his place, where he slips me a few bucks every now and then to keep me in the game- because I suck at it and am normally the first out.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Russell Nash

Reply #82 on: April 04, 2008, 10:01:41 AM
My dog is one of the ugliest in the world and doesn't like other dogs. I'm thinking of trying to get him into the movies.

I think he's cute. 

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #83 on: April 04, 2008, 12:31:44 PM
My dog is one of the ugliest in the world and doesn't like other dogs. I'm thinking of trying to get him into the movies.

I think he's cute. 

Which one?   ;D

Russell Nash

Reply #84 on: April 04, 2008, 12:42:20 PM

I think he's cute. 

Which one?   ;D

If I was talking about Wherethewild, I'd say, "she's cute."

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #85 on: April 04, 2008, 12:44:23 PM

I think he's cute. 

Which one?   ;D

"Man, you have the worst sense of humor!"

Russell Nash

Reply #86 on: April 04, 2008, 12:48:18 PM

I think he's cute. 

Which one?   ;D

"Man, you have the worst sense of humor!"

Or you do!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #87 on: April 04, 2008, 01:09:00 PM
Hi. I already have two (count 'em!) stars next to my name, so it's probably time to introduce myself.

I was born at an early age... but that's been done before, so I probably ought to skip to the relevant parts. I grew up in God's Own Country (the London Borough of Croydon), and moved to the Cincinnati area a few years ago, because of a woman. I have a daughter who is now 15 and a half months old*, so the Geek Dad intros are greatly appreciated; I often share them with my wife, even if she has no interest in rearing the actual episode. My interests include movies (my DVD library currently stands at 542 titles and growing fast), reading, photography, defending the Earth from space-aliens who want to eat your spleen, programming, and pedantically correcting people's grammar on the interwebs.

Politically, in Britain I was considered middle-of-the-road, maybe a hair right of centre. Which means that in America I'm a frothing-at-the-mouth liberal extremist left-winger.

In terms of SF, I have a love of space opera (Neal Asher, Iain M. Banks, Kevin J. Anderson) and cyberpunk (William Gibson, Pat Cadigan, Bruce Sterling), though pretty much anything is good. Especially if it includes giant bat-winged monkey-spiders. There aren't enough giant bat-winged monkey-spiders in contemporary fiction, I feel. If any EP contributors are reading this, get to work on that, would you?

*Offer only valid at time of writing. Subject to change without notice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:11:10 PM by wintermute »

Science means that not all dreams can come true

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #88 on: April 04, 2008, 08:14:36 PM
Or you do!

Umm, I got lost in that exchange.

On rereadng my post I realised that this:
... he slips me a few bucks every now and then to keep me in the game...

was REALLY not meant the way it sounds. No, seriously it wasn't.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

Russell Nash

Reply #89 on: April 04, 2008, 08:43:01 PM
Or you do!

Don't worry about it.  Tad and I just like to hit each other with sledgehammers every once in a while.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #90 on: April 05, 2008, 03:33:19 AM
Or you do!

Don't worry about it.  Tad and I just like to hit each other with sledgehammers every once in a while.

Yeah... I get an adrenaline rush from taunting mightily mythical hammer-weilding lizard kings sometimes, and Russell hasn't had me put down yet... 

It probably doesn't help that I have a highly developed sense of pattern recognition and the absurd that makes English an endlessly entertaining playground.  I could probably find unintended innuendo in a catechism.  :)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #91 on: April 07, 2008, 06:33:41 PM
It probably doesn't help that I have a highly developed sense of pattern recognition and the absurd that makes English an endlessly entertaining playground.  I could probably find unintended innuendo in a catechism.  :)

And love goes out the door when money comes innuendo  :P

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #92 on: April 08, 2008, 12:15:12 AM

And love goes out the door when money comes innuendo  :P

Like the lady at the bar who ordered a double entendrĂ©... so, the barman gave her one.  ;)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #93 on: April 08, 2008, 01:02:59 AM
do these forums have a wit limit?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #94 on: April 08, 2008, 01:07:50 AM

It cries in the corner.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #95 on: April 08, 2008, 02:07:07 AM
Yep. And these two knuckle heads are in no danger of reaching it. :)

NoveltySeeker

• Extern
Reply #96 on: April 12, 2008, 06:38:06 PM
Well, I guess I'm a new member, so thought it would be good to introduce and stuff.   I'm currently living in Scotland (yes, the land of bagpipes and kilts), while undertaking a degree in Behavioural Neuroscience (well, if that doesn't have geek written all over it!).  Unfortunately my spousal unit still lives in sunny California (yeah, it's still snowing here, but we get more sunlight), so we search for commonalities to discuss in our daily chats.  One thing beyond the routine is the EscapePod episodes we are catching up on (didn't I mention geek?).  So, instead of discussing depreciating house prices, we can discuss alternate universes and much rosier futures.  At least I can get Dr.Who and Torchwood a few weeks sooner here...no spoilers!  (and then there's health care...)   Thanks for the stories!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 05:55:43 AM by NoveltySeeker »

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #97 on: April 16, 2008, 01:54:17 AM
a moderator had better either split this off or steer it back into the right direction

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #98 on: April 16, 2008, 02:12:30 AM
a moderator had better either split this off or steer it back into the right direction

Done. All those wanting to talk about sheep with apparent ignorance of the Australia/NZ sheep conflict need to go here. It was getting a little out of control.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:15:45 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #99 on: April 16, 2008, 02:56:57 AM

Don't mean to boar you, but you missed one.  :P